Steering damper "recall"

I just got my letter to replace the steering damper as a "courtesy". Does anyone know what the actual difference is? I don't feel like I've ever had an issue, but is it still worth going into the dealer for?

Hella Yella 2018 JLUR. V6. Auto. Uniden 880 cb. Vision X Dura-M460 cube lights.

benatc1

I just got my letter to replace the steering damper as a "courtesy". Does anyone know what the actual difference is? I don't feel like I've ever had an issue, but is it still worth going into the dealer for?

Had mine done last week, didn't know about it but wife was at the dealer and they did it. I haven't noticed much of a difference but id say it's a bit stiffer when driving. Hard to say though

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jeeeep

ditto on the letter...after having it to the dealer on 5 different occasions since Dec 2018 because of needing to constantly adjust the steering at higher speeds Jeep has finally admitted it's an issue.

will take it in to get it replaced and try it with the replacement stiffer bushings and hope it prolongs the need to go aftermarket.

dixonk

Got my letter in the mail. Already sporting aftermarket. Called the dealer and asked if I could bring in my old one and swap for a new one and they said no. Letter is now sitting in a landfill somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

If you received the letter...get it done. Jeep has been listening and trying to rectify problems that some folks are having. I don't have an issue on my 18 JLUR, but I received the letter and they are ordering one in for me. You may feel no difference at all. Who cares? Death wobble is caused by suspension components being loose or worn out despite what people on here and elsewhere say. A wobble will start and then the inertia of worn or loose parts makes the wobble extreme. Steering stabilizer is on Jeep wranglers to prevent jerk of steering wheel when off roading. What Jeep should of done from the design table, was put the stabilizer above drag link so it doesn't get hit while rock crawling. I have hit mine twice and put re-location kit on. Hasn't been hit since.

Lazer87

6 months ago I ended putting a Fox 2.0 on my jeep after the dealership told me it was the stabilizer and would get me a new one but they were on backorder. Just got the recal letter. Was thinking I should put my old one on and have them swap it just for record. What do you think?
I plan on upgrading drag link, track bar, ect. like as seen on way of life to tighten things up. Honestly after 6 months of driving with the new stabilizer and previously having the steer wobble. I would say the fox 2.0 is doing a great job of masking it like others have said but you can feel it still wants to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

benatc1

I smashed my newly replaced stabilizer yesterday on the Rubicon, crunches like the one that came with it, incase anyone was wondering lol.., bad death wobble after, I agree that it's just masking issues that came with the JL. Going to replace the trackbar like many others have and see how it does. And raise my stabilizer lol

WiscoHR

I smashed my newly replaced stabilizer yesterday on the Rubicon, crunches like the one that came with it, incase anyone was wondering lol.., bad death wobble after, I agree that it's just masking issues that came with the JL. Going to replace the trackbar like many others have and see how it does. And raise my stabilizer lol

I’m getting my new updated stabilizer tomorrow. I’ve already put a new track bar in. All I have currently is a shake in the steering wheel, not death wobble. But I do have play in my draglink at the pitman arm. Hopefully I’ll get some Synergy parts here soon to fix that. But I was clipping along on the expressway at 85 all day today without issues.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app