Firming up steering?

Cwadle

I've been seriously looking into upgrading some steering components to eliminate some of the road wandering present with my JL rubicon. I have seen both the track bar replaced: and a full tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer replacement: both videos available on the wayalife channel. Now for regular road use, which would be more effective in limiting "steering wandering".

The videos mentioned are:
Tie rod and drag link replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCCfyskm-CM
Track bar replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJhNywd34zE&t=177s

Thanks,
-Cameron

ddays v2

What air pressure are you running in your tires? Lowering your pressure can have surprising results. I only run 26 in mine and I feel a difference in the steering. The 45psi the stock tires come with makes the Jeep ride waaay too stiff and the steering feels really odd. Worth a shot and it's free.

Edit: try doing the chalk test on your tires. Google it if you've never heard of it. It gets you to an optimal pressure for your particular vehicle.

JTCO

Meme King
I've been seriously looking into upgrading some steering components to eliminate some of the road wandering present with my JL rubicon. I have seen both the track bar replaced: and a full tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer replacement: both videos available on the wayalife channel. Now for regular road use, which would be more effective in limiting "steering wandering". n

Although I haven't messed with a JL much, on other Jeeps, if your tie rod ends and drag link are tight, changing them won't really do anything beneficial for a wandering symptom. However on a track bar, I've seen softer and harder bushings from OEM and the aftermarket. I've also seen some track bars flex more than others. I'm not going to tell you that changing your track bar will solve the issue that you're having but if I had to pick between that or a steering link, I would do the track bar. Also, Eddie said previously that after replacing his track bar that it tightened up his Jeep. But if I recall, he wasn't having a wandering symptom, he was having an intermittent shimmy.

Edit: try doing the chalk test on your tires. Google it if you've never heard of it. It gets you to an optimal pressure for your particular vehicle.

Yep: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...or-315-70-17%92s&p=15682&viewfull=1#post15682

SouthCo

In addition to what’s been mentioned, also check your caster. It’s easy. You can google how but basically u need an angle gauge. My JL wandered, not terribly but enough I wanted to see if I could resolve it. I bought a gauge and found my caster was less than 6 degrees which I’ve read is a sweet spot for the JL. I bought Mopar extended lower front control arms part number 68322798AA. They got my caster to just a hair over 6 degrees and my JL doesn’t wander anymore. I was very pleased with the results and the Mopar front LCAs are about $65-70 for two (they are sold separately but it’s the same part number for each side) so not expensive.

Bought this gauge on Amazon.

IMG_6492.jpg

You measure the caster by placing the gauge on the front axle where the red circles are in the pic below.

IMG_6493.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been seriously looking into upgrading some steering components to eliminate some of the road wandering present with my JL rubicon. I have seen both the track bar replaced: and a full tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer replacement: both videos available on the wayalife channel. Now for regular road use, which would be more effective in limiting "steering wandering".

The videos mentioned are:
Tie rod and drag link replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCCfyskm-CM
Track bar replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJhNywd34zE&t=177s

Thanks,
-Cameron

Is your Jeep lifted? If so, how much? Aside from letting air out of your tires, you may just need a bit more positive caster.

Jeeeep

is your JL is still stock, FCA has issued a TSB to firm up the wandering.

I'm not sure if they replace the entire track bar or just bushings.

I've got an appointment to get mine taken care of at the end of the week.

Duke

Jeep replaced my steering damper a few months ago and this really helped with the shimmy. There is a service bulletin out now about this. I also have 35" tires and have reduced the tire pressure to 32 psi and I get a much better ride and it the handling improved just a bit more. I also replaced the front shocks with the Fox 2.0 and really the only significant thing that I've noticed is that the nose dive on hard braking is minimal now. It does take the big speed bumps a little better too. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the ride and handling now. No wandering and no shimmy when hitting those harsh bumps at highway speeds. I just got the notice in the mail from FCA to replace the steering damper. I'm going to check to see if this new one is any different than the one they installed a few months ago.

Duke

Hoffer

My JL came from the dealer with a lot of toe out on the front end ... not what you want. Wandered all over the place. Fixed that and it was much better, but not as good as I wanted.
Then I installed track bars front and rear and made a dramatic difference.

Change both track bars and check alignment. Should fix you right up