Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Death Wobble cause by air in the stabilizer?

Fresh Catch
    New member here with an '18 Unlimited we just purchased this past Saturday (4800 miles on it). I was aware of the recall, and the dealer switched out the damper before we took delivery. (They also threw in a set of running boards and the grab handles that fit over the doors - happy about that!) Drove it before and didn't notice any wobble or looseness, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

However, when we got home with it (about 20 miles), I crawled under to check orientation (had read that many had been installed upside down...). Guess what - yep, arrow that's supposed to point toward the front was pointed to the rear! Unbolted that end and turned it around, a simple fix. But shouldn't have been necessary. Don't think a 20-mile run did anything problematic, but glad I looked and glad I'd read about the issue!

So now I'm trying to decide: Do I give the service manager a call and let him/her know what happened? Wondering about warranty, since I took it on myself to correct their error. I do a lot of wrenching and take care of my own maintenance on all my toys (three vintage British sports cars that I restored); the two daily drivers, this one included; and our motorhome, so the only time I'll be bringing the Jeep in will be for warranty or something major I can't handle.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoHR View Post
    Yeah read that article earlier. Yes my first dampener failed when the weather started to get cold but the 2nd and 3rd were replaced when it was warm out. Every dealership I’ve been to, won’t look at the real issue on my JL. I’ve pointed out the play in the draglink bushing where it mounts to the pitman arm.

But maybe this fancy new dampener will mask it for longer than a few hours!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    No

Quote Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
    New member here with an '18 Unlimited we just purchased this past Saturday (4800 miles on it). I was aware of the recall, and the dealer switched out the damper before we took delivery. (They also threw in a set of running boards and the grab handles that fit over the doors - happy about that!) Drove it before and didn't notice any wobble or looseness, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

However, when we got home with it (about 20 miles), I crawled under to check orientation (had read that many had been installed upside down...). Guess what - yep, arrow that's supposed to point toward the front was pointed to the rear! Unbolted that end and turned it around, a simple fix. But shouldn't have been necessary. Don't think a 20-mile run did anything problematic, but glad I looked and glad I'd read about the issue!

So now I'm trying to decide: Do I give the service manager a call and let him/her know what happened? Wondering about warranty, since I took it on myself to correct their error. I do a lot of wrenching and take care of my own maintenance on all my toys (three vintage British sports cars that I restored); the two daily drivers, this one included; and our motorhome, so the only time I'll be bringing the Jeep in will be for warranty or something major I can't handle.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Mickey
    I wouldn’t bother. They’ll probably tell you it doesn’t matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12