Thread: Death Wobble cause by air in the stabilizer?

Death Wobble cause by air in the stabilizer?

https://leftlanenews.com/jeep/fca-ro...th-wobble-fix/

"This rarely occurring phenomenon is not peculiar to any one vehicle and is not a safety issue. FCA US strongly objects to any insinuation otherwise,"

^I guess they've never experienced the symptom themselves
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

LOL - yeah, I don't think so. I can see how the stabilizer won't be able to mitigate the problem once it starts but it really seems to me like there's something else going on.

Fresh Catch
    I just got my recall letter but i havenít had any DW with over 15k on the odometer. I donít want to mess with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yeah read that article earlier. Yes my first dampener failed when the weather started to get cold but the 2nd and 3rd were replaced when it was warm out. Every dealership Iíve been to, wonít look at the real issue on my JL. Iíve pointed out the play in the draglink bushing where it mounts to the pitman arm.

But maybe this fancy new dampener will mask it for longer than a few hours!

Hooked
    Actually, the dampener may be the primary issue. My first one went about 16k with no issues. Then the next two replacements failed quickly. I put a $143 Fox stabilizer on there and the problem is gone. I added a Ranch track bar afterward for insurance, and to center the axle, but the new stabilizer did the trick. Hopefully it will go the distance. If not, I've got the last failed replacement stored up for replacement, if necessary. The Fox feels better than even the first one. I'm betting it will last.

My OEM drag link and front track bar bushings at the pitman arm and frame, respectively, were shot at 12,000 miles. As Eddie has pointed out in his videos, the quality of aftermarket parts (Synergy, Rancho respectively) is so far beyond the lightweight OEM equipment that FCA should be ashamed to put the Rubicon name on such parts. I still run the OEM steering stabilizer. My steering issues are history now.

Quote Originally Posted by Principal Skinr View Post
    Actually, the dampener may be the primary issue. My first one went about 16k with no issues. Then the next two replacements failed quickly. I put a $143 Fox stabilizer on there and the problem is gone. I added a Ranch track bar afterward for insurance, and to center the axle, but the new stabilizer did the trick. Hopefully it will go the distance. If not, I've got the last failed replacement stored up for replacement, if necessary. The Fox feels better than even the first one. I'm betting it will last.
    Just seems odd to me that if everything else were mechanically tight in the steering, that a shimmy or death wobble would occur. But who knows? I just know on previous models, the stabilizer was the 'go to' info to fix death wobble and I myself tried it, but it didn't fix anything, it just hid it. Time will tell.

Death Wobble cause by air in the stabilizer?

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Just seems odd to me that if everything else were mechanically tight in the steering, that a shimmy or death wobble would occur. But who knows? I just know on previous models, the stabilizer was the 'go to' info to fix death wobble and I myself tried it, but it didn't fix anything, it just hid it. Time will tell.
    It hides it for a small period of time. Every time they put a new one on my JL I go beat on it for a few hours and they go to shit and I take it back to show them itís not the problem. But Jeep still wonít acknowledge the draglink. I donít want to put on the Synergy until Jeep says the ends in the draglink are shit.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoHR View Post
    It hides it for a small period of time. Every time they put a new one on my JL I go beat on it for a few hours and they go to shit and I take it back to show them itís not the problem. But Jeep still wonít acknowledge the draglink. I donít want to put on the Synergy until Jeep says the ends in the draglink are shit.

I'm hoping if they really do know what's causing it (but aren't talking about it publicly), that our JT will be built with the correction already on it.

Well I just got the recall notice that I need to get my new stabilizer. Hopefully can get it on in the next few days and see what it does.