Death Wobble cause by air in the stabilizer?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - yeah, I don't think so. I can see how the stabilizer won't be able to mitigate the problem once it starts but it really seems to me like there's something else going on.

WiscoHR

Yeah read that article earlier. Yes my first dampener failed when the weather started to get cold but the 2nd and 3rd were replaced when it was warm out. Every dealership I’ve been to, won’t look at the real issue on my JL. I’ve pointed out the play in the draglink bushing where it mounts to the pitman arm.

But maybe this fancy new dampener will mask it for longer than a few hours! [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Actually, the dampener may be the primary issue. My first one went about 16k with no issues. Then the next two replacements failed quickly. I put a $143 Fox stabilizer on there and the problem is gone. I added a Ranch track bar afterward for insurance, and to center the axle, but the new stabilizer did the trick. Hopefully it will go the distance. If not, I've got the last failed replacement stored up for replacement, if necessary. The Fox feels better than even the first one. I'm betting it will last.

DavidDJL69

My OEM drag link and front track bar bushings at the pitman arm and frame, respectively, were shot at 12,000 miles. As Eddie has pointed out in his videos, the quality of aftermarket parts (Synergy, Rancho respectively) is so far beyond the lightweight OEM equipment that FCA should be ashamed to put the Rubicon name on such parts. I still run the OEM steering stabilizer. My steering issues are history now.

JTCO

Meme King
Actually, the dampener may be the primary issue. My first one went about 16k with no issues. Then the next two replacements failed quickly. I put a $143 Fox stabilizer on there and the problem is gone. I added a Ranch track bar afterward for insurance, and to center the axle, but the new stabilizer did the trick. Hopefully it will go the distance. If not, I've got the last failed replacement stored up for replacement, if necessary. The Fox feels better than even the first one. I'm betting it will last.

Just seems odd to me that if everything else were mechanically tight in the steering, that a shimmy or death wobble would occur. But who knows? I just know on previous models, the stabilizer was the 'go to' info to fix death wobble and I myself tried it, but it didn't fix anything, it just hid it. Time will tell.

WiscoHR

Just seems odd to me that if everything else were mechanically tight in the steering, that a shimmy or death wobble would occur. But who knows? I just know on previous models, the stabilizer was the 'go to' info to fix death wobble and I myself tried it, but it didn't fix anything, it just hid it. Time will tell.

It hides it for a small period of time. Every time they put a new one on my JL I go beat on it for a few hours and they go to shit and I take it back to show them it’s not the problem. But Jeep still won’t acknowledge the draglink. I don’t want to put on the Synergy until Jeep says the ends in the draglink are shit.

JTCO

Meme King
It hides it for a small period of time. Every time they put a new one on my JL I go beat on it for a few hours and they go to shit and I take it back to show them it’s not the problem. But Jeep still won’t acknowledge the draglink. I don’t want to put on the Synergy until Jeep says the ends in the draglink are shit.

I'm hoping if they really do know what's causing it (but aren't talking about it publicly), that our JT will be built with the correction already on it.

MRichaud

New member here with an '18 Unlimited we just purchased this past Saturday (4800 miles on it). I was aware of the recall, and the dealer switched out the damper before we took delivery. (They also threw in a set of running boards and the grab handles that fit over the doors - happy about that!) Drove it before and didn't notice any wobble or looseness, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

However, when we got home with it (about 20 miles), I crawled under to check orientation (had read that many had been installed upside down...). Guess what - yep, arrow that's supposed to point toward the front was pointed to the rear! Unbolted that end and turned it around, a simple fix. But shouldn't have been necessary. Don't think a 20-mile run did anything problematic, but glad I looked and glad I'd read about the issue!

So now I'm trying to decide: Do I give the service manager a call and let him/her know what happened? Wondering about warranty, since I took it on myself to correct their error. I do a lot of wrenching and take care of my own maintenance on all my toys (three vintage British sports cars that I restored); the two daily drivers, this one included; and our motorhome, so the only time I'll be bringing the Jeep in will be for warranty or something major I can't handle.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Mickey

drhcobra

Yeah read that article earlier. Yes my first dampener failed when the weather started to get cold but the 2nd and 3rd were replaced when it was warm out. Every dealership I’ve been to, won’t look at the real issue on my JL. I’ve pointed out the play in the draglink bushing where it mounts to the pitman arm.

But maybe this fancy new dampener will mask it for longer than a few hours! [emoji848]

No

drhcobra

New member here with an '18 Unlimited we just purchased this past Saturday (4800 miles on it). I was aware of the recall, and the dealer switched out the damper before we took delivery. (They also threw in a set of running boards and the grab handles that fit over the doors - happy about that!) Drove it before and didn't notice any wobble or looseness, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

However, when we got home with it (about 20 miles), I crawled under to check orientation (had read that many had been installed upside down...). Guess what - yep, arrow that's supposed to point toward the front was pointed to the rear! Unbolted that end and turned it around, a simple fix. But shouldn't have been necessary. Don't think a 20-mile run did anything problematic, but glad I looked and glad I'd read about the issue!

So now I'm trying to decide: Do I give the service manager a call and let him/her know what happened? Wondering about warranty, since I took it on myself to correct their error. I do a lot of wrenching and take care of my own maintenance on all my toys (three vintage British sports cars that I restored); the two daily drivers, this one included; and our motorhome, so the only time I'll be bringing the Jeep in will be for warranty or something major I can't handle.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Mickey

I wouldn’t bother. They’ll probably tell you it doesn’t matter.

bbd

I experienced the Death Wobble!!!

I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited JL and while I was driving it home from work yesterday, I went over an overpass and my steering wheel started vibrating violently. Called the dealership and there should have been warranty work on it prior to me purchasing it. But, in reading the threads here, I'm guessing that all the dealership is doing right now is placing a band aid on it with the stabilizer. I find this ridiculous for what Jeep owners pay for their Jeeps! This seems to be a long going, known issue. Why hasn't this been figured out yet??? This is my first Jeep and I'm not too sure I'll be purchasing another if I have to be worried about driving it over a bump. I've printed a list of possible things that could be causing the issue but I'm sure the dealership service dept will just blow me off! :mad:

Hoffer

Was going to buy the Fox stabilizer, but figure I would have the dealer install the update since it was free.

Works perfectly ever since .... saved $500

'Death wobble' is a phenomenon that has been around since solid front axles have been. 'Death wobble' can occur in any vehicle with front solid axle. And that means ether a true axle, or solid I beam, especially with worn out parts. I have experienced it in more than one vehicle. All trucks. Most recent a F550 bucket truck.
Air in stabilizer...blah blah will not cause 'Death wobble'. Stabilizer is on a Jeep to prevent the steering wheel from jerking out of your hands while off-roading. If FCA or any other manufacturer was so worried about it, they would stop making them. There have been no recorded deaths from it. If there was, you can rest assured that the manufacturer who made that vehicle would of been sued and stopped making them.
You are merely supporting 'gimmicks' by purchasing these so called 'fixes'.

Last edited:

bbd

Update...I had the factory recall done (the dealership should have put in the parts before I purchased the Jeep) and no more wobble. :thumb:

4wd

Update...I had the factory recall done (the dealership should have put in the parts before I purchased the Jeep) and no more wobble. :thumb:
Does it tighten up the steering? Some I test drove had alot of play in the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bbd

No. Mine still has a lot of play. I have noticed I am fishtailing more on wet pavement than before but I don't think that could have anything to do with the stabilizers? :thinking:

Last edited: