Crested Butte Trails

HiCenterd

Heading to Crested Butte on Thursday for a long weekend with some friends. Two of us are looking to get our jeeps dirty while we're there. Anyone have a good recommendations? It's not an area that I've spent a decent amount of time in. Sad to say that I'm in the smaller of the two Jeeps with the stock JLUR on 315's and my buddy is in a JKU on 37's, no lockers though. We did Tin Cup pass with a large group last weekend but we were both a little bored. Looking for something that we can play around on a little more. Any ideas are much appreciated, thanks!

JTCO

Meme King
If you're willing to head over closer to Buena Vista, there's Chinaman Gulch. I ran it on 35s with no lockers earlier this year and it was pretty difficult, but if you're looking for something a little more challenging, it's there...

If you're willing to head over closer to Buena Vista, there's Chinaman Gulch. I ran it on 35s with no lockers earlier this year and it was pretty difficult, but if you're looking for something a little more challenging, it's there...

Been debating if I wanna do Chinaman with 33s I got the lockers but photos from it has kept me from heading that way. Did Moab Hill in Woodland Park today.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Been debating if I wanna do Chinaman with 33s I got the lockers but photos from it has kept me from heading that way.

Hardest trail I've done so far. If you haven't already, you can see on YouTube that Eddie and Cindy did a great job filming Holy Cross and I thought Holy Cross was easier than Chinaman myself.

Hardest trail I've done so far. If you haven't already, you can see on YouTube that Eddie and Cindy did a great job filming Holy Cross and I thought Holy Cross was easier than Chinaman myself.

Damn that’s saying something cause I wouldn’t think of doing Holy Cross till I get my 37s. From what I’ve seen it’s a tough one for sure. Way to take it on man!

Yup. That looks more challenging for sure.

Sent from my moto x4 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Buena Vista is a two hour drive, Ouray is also about a two hour drive maybe two and a half. You have Imogene Pass, Ophir Pass, and Engineer Pass. From what I understand Black Bear Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch are still closed. I could be mistaken though if they came out with some news this weekend.

JTCO

Meme King
Damn that’s saying something cause I wouldn’t think of doing Holy Cross till I get my 37s. From what I’ve seen it’s a tough one for sure.

It can definitely be done with 35s and lockers. A little trickier with 33s because of ground clearance. All of the Jeeps with us even on 37s hit a ton underneath.

The best way I can put it is that the obstacles on Holy Cross are probably a little bit harder but there's only like 3 of those and it's flatter terrain so you can see what to expect even though it's hard. Whereas on Chinaman, the obstacles may be just slightly easier but they don't let up. It's just obstacle after obstacle and nearly every one is on a steep hill. So when you finally get to the top and hope for relief, you're not done yet.

Both my wife and I were sick of Chinaman by the end and have no desire to go back. Whereas Holy Cross was a long day and we were relieved at the end of the day but both of us really thought it was a fun and challenging adventure.

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
I see what you mean. Thanks for some solid advice[emoji1605]I’ll have to hit those this fall for sure and let know know what I think.

As far as Chinaman, I think you could do it with 33s and lockers. On 35s, I don't recall hitting underneath that much.Traction on the steep obstacles was the toughest part for me because my lockers weren't working. Along with that, there was a lot of loose sand in-between the rocks. If you go with another equipped Jeep, you should be fine.

Not many pics of our run, but they are here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...eetup-Thread?p=1138866&viewfull=1#post1138866

Last edited:

HiCenterd

Appreciate the feedback. I also thought Holy Cross was supposed to be a lot harder then most of the trails in this area. Might save Chinaman for next summer when we lift the JL. There's a happy medium between bored and making it home with the DD.

Onlyone

If your in Crested Butte you can head back to Gunnison and then over to lake city and run the alpine loop. Only other trails by CB would be Schofield Pass over to Marble but I’m not sure it’s open yet. Not really tough but the road is really skinny by the punch bowl. Fun trail though. There are several trails in the area but the snow and avalanches have done a number on them. You can also run pearl pass over to Aspen but I’m not sure that’s open either.

Onlyone

Appreciate the feedback. I also thought Holy Cross was supposed to be a lot harder then most of the trails in this area. Might save Chinaman for next summer when we lift the JL. There's a happy medium between bored and making it home with the DD.

I think Chinaman like WJCO said is a bit tougher than Holy Cross but HC will bite you of not careful. The creek changes every year. I wish I could have run it this year with the group but had to work. I do agree though, once you have been there it’s tough to want to run it again. Last I was there was in like 2015 in my 2 door sport on 33s and I beat the crap out of it. Lol the winch was used quite a bit.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
If your in Crested Butte you can head back to Gunnison and then over to lake city and run the alpine loop.

Word is on the weekend of 08/03/19 there were multiple landslides and washouts on the Cinnamon Pass side of Alpine Loop due to heavy rain. You will need to check for closures.

JTCO

Meme King
I think Chinaman like WJCO said is a bit tougher than Holy Cross

Funny thing for me with Chinaman, I had no idea what I was getting into. It was a last minute decision the night before and I looked up some pictures and YouTube videos and it didn't look that bad. A few beers in the system and I asked the wife "You wanna do this trail in the morning?" I got kicked in the nuts the entire next day. At least with Holy Cross,I knew that trail would be tough.