Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crested Butte Trails

Crested Butte Trails

Heading to Crested Butte on Thursday for a long weekend with some friends. Two of us are looking to get our jeeps dirty while we're there. Anyone have a good recommendations? It's not an area that I've spent a decent amount of time in. Sad to say that I'm in the smaller of the two Jeeps with the stock JLUR on 315's and my buddy is in a JKU on 37's, no lockers though. We did Tin Cup pass with a large group last weekend but we were both a little bored. Looking for something that we can play around on a little more. Any ideas are much appreciated, thanks!

If you're willing to head over closer to Buena Vista, there's Chinaman Gulch. I ran it on 35s with no lockers earlier this year and it was pretty difficult, but if you're looking for something a little more challenging, it's there...
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Is that more by Keystone?

Quote Originally Posted by HiCenterd View Post
    Is that more by Keystone?
    IMG_20190811_200145_763.jpg......

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    If you're willing to head over closer to Buena Vista, there's Chinaman Gulch. I ran it on 35s with no lockers earlier this year and it was pretty difficult, but if you're looking for something a little more challenging, it's there...
    Been debating if I wanna do Chinaman with 33s I got the lockers but photos from it has kept me from heading that way. Did Moab Hill in Woodland Park today.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

My mistake. For some reason I read 'cinnamon gulch'...

Sent from my moto x4 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yup. That looks more challenging for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBreakerTheJL View Post
    Been debating if I wanna do Chinaman with 33s I got the lockers but photos from it has kept me from heading that way.
    Hardest trail I've done so far. If you haven't already, you can see on YouTube that Eddie and Cindy did a great job filming Holy Cross and I thought Holy Cross was easier than Chinaman myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Hardest trail I've done so far. If you haven't already, you can see on YouTube that Eddie and Cindy did a great job filming Holy Cross and I thought Holy Cross was easier than Chinaman myself.
    Damn thatís saying something cause I wouldnít think of doing Holy Cross till I get my 37s. From what Iíve seen itís a tough one for sure. Way to take it on man!

Quote Originally Posted by HiCenterd View Post
    Yup. That looks more challenging for sure.

Buena Vista is a two hour drive, Ouray is also about a two hour drive maybe two and a half. You have Imogene Pass, Ophir Pass, and Engineer Pass. From what I understand Black Bear Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch are still closed. I could be mistaken though if they came out with some news this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by StormBreakerTheJL View Post
    Damn that’s saying something cause I wouldn’t think of doing Holy Cross till I get my 37s. From what I’ve seen it’s a tough one for sure.
    It can definitely be done with 35s and lockers. A little trickier with 33s because of ground clearance. All of the Jeeps with us even on 37s hit a ton underneath.

The best way I can put it is that the obstacles on Holy Cross are probably a little bit harder but there's only like 3 of those and it's flatter terrain so you can see what to expect even though it's hard. Whereas on Chinaman, the obstacles may be just slightly easier but they don't let up. It's just obstacle after obstacle and nearly every one is on a steep hill. So when you finally get to the top and hope for relief, you're not done yet.

Both my wife and I were sick of Chinaman by the end and have no desire to go back. Whereas Holy Cross was a long day and we were relieved at the end of the day but both of us really thought it was a fun and challenging adventure.
    Last edited by JTCO; 08-11-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast