Prospective buyer with new JL “reliability” question...

Hwycycle

As stated above, I’m considering buying a 2019 or 2020 JLU. I’m curious if any of the issues associated with the new JL are persisting with the newly produced Wranglers.

For example:
- Steering issue (excessive play, dead spot) — I’ve personally experienced this on 2 test drives
- Welding issues (bad frame welds)
- I’ve read about no start on the 2018’s that require a tow to the dealer.

Any information or input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Tom.

dixonk

As stated above, I’m considering buying a 2019 or 2020 JLU. I’m curious if any of the issues associated with the new JL are persisting with the newly produced Wranglers.

For example:
- Steering issue (excessive play, dead spot) — I’ve personally experienced this on 2 test drives

Thanks.
Tom.

Steering is feel of solid axle front.

No weld issues anymore

Never heard of a no start issue nor have I had one in 20k miles.

The only unreliable thing on my Jeep is the uconnect system which acts like every other piece of technology.

Shadow's_Jepp

I've had to no start issues on my 19 JL sport that required being towed to the Dealer.
1st time the ESS Battery was junk and had to be replaced.
2nd time 2 weeks later it had to be towed again, that time the fuse on the F ten circuit was cracked all the way through, but was not burned out, if you tapped the fuse it would not start. If you tapped it again it would start. Replaced the fuse. Jeep has ran fine since.
That was all in the 1st 850 miles.

Shadow's_Jeep
2009 JKU Flame Red
2019 JL Bikini

MrGiant

I have about 4k on it, no issues except my rear passenger soft top corner rattles over pottholes. I have to figure that out since german roads are not as good as you would think

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

ddays v2

17k miles on my '19 with zero issues.

I've found lowering the tire pressure reduces the wandering feeling with the steering.

22,500 miles on mine. It was a very early build, as in December of 2017. It had no issues from the factory, and not even a fit/finish issue. I put on the Mopar lift and 35's and got some steering shimmy. That's gone now between a Fox steering dampener and a Rancho adjustable track bar. The Uconnect was perfect until I had it updated to add off road pages. Now, like others, it has a bit of a mind of its own, but with the Tazer JL, I can just reboot it and it fixes it.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased. The 3.6 has loosened up a bit since new and just feels and sounds great, especially with the manual transmission.

JP223/3USA

20k miles on mine. Early build also. 35s, 2” dynatrac lift and a trackbar to center axle. Couldn’t be happier with my steering. Uconnect issues though that required the dealership to update.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:
2018 MY (Jan 2018 build date-early) Sahara. I did have a dead spot of almost 2 inches in the steering before I lifted it. Dealer put in the newest revision steering box, gone! Everything else has been immaculate.

Hwycycle

Thanks again all.

It seems the steering issue has been addressed in a number of different methods. Some say steering box, other say a power steering flash.

In regard to the steering issue... was it obvious immediately? Or does the condition develop over time & use?

BluRubi

New 2019 JL Rubi 216 miles.

2nd day, auto start function quit working and next day, it would not start. Towed to the dealer, needs a relay replaced.

Even though I traded in a well sorted out 2015 JKU, and this is a crappy start to a new vehicle. I absolutely dig this new JL and look forward to many happy trails in it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Bcupton

For example:

Thanks.
Tom.
I bought a 18 JLU and it’s been great! No issues. I did have it in for some steering recalls stuff.