Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Through The Firewall...Manual Transmission

Hooked

Wiring Through The Firewall...Manual Transmission

I know the auto JL's have a plug in the firewall that covers a hole for mechanicals for manual transmission components. My JLUR is a manual, so I don't have that option. I'm looking for a way to get through the firewall to wire up a set of Baja Designs LP6 Pro lights. I have the Baja Designs wiring harness and switch. The wire bundle to the switch is pretty thick, as in 1/2" or slightly more.

I've seen options to wire them to the Aux switches, but that's complicated and above my level of ability. The BD wiring harness is very simple, other than routing it into the cab in a clean and tidy way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Principal Skinr View Post
    I know the auto JL's have a plug in the firewall that covers a hole for mechanicals for manual transmission components. My JLUR is a manual, so I don't have that option. I'm looking for a way to get through the firewall to wire up a set of Baja Designs LP6 Pro lights. I have the Baja Designs wiring harness and switch. The wire bundle to the switch is pretty thick, as in 1/2" or slightly more.

I've seen options to wire them to the Aux switches, but that's complicated and above my level of ability. The BD wiring harness is very simple, other than routing it into the cab in a clean and tidy way.

How is wiring into the Aux switches complicated? Itís the easiest way.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 JLUR Sting Gray

Just use the aux switches. Easiest way to install! Cut the BD harness before the relay and fuses. Splice the power wire to whatever switch you want and run the ground wire to a ground post by the battery. Doesnít get any easier than that.

Caught the Bug
    Agree with these guys. Itís. Two. Wires. You got this.

Thatís one option I wish I wouldíve gotten. Aux switches wouldíve made wiring up the lights in my front and rear bumper a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Principal Skinr View Post

Do you have the Auxiliary switch option on your jeep? If so you don't even need to run wire into the cab there are leads between the battery and fender that are hooked to the factory switches

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by CalSgt View Post
    Do you have the Auxiliary switch option on your jeep? If so you don't even need to run wire into the cab there are leads between the battery and fender that are hooked to the factory switches
    I agree with you guys and will go with the Aux buttons, but here's the rub with doing it that way: The lights have a high and low beam setting. They can't be on simultaneously or the circuit boards in the lights will be damaged. Of course I would never do that intentionally, but my wife or kids might be in the Jeep and hit them both, not knowing or forgetting that it is bad to do that.

I also don't know which color wire goes to high beam or low beam. (I do know that the yellow goes to the backlighting, though, so that one is a piece of cake).

So, i'm understanding that there is some way to wire it using the relay so that if I have Aux 1, say, for the low beams on, and I hit Aux 3 for the high beams, it will override the low beams and shut off that power supply. That's the desired setup. My problem is that I wouldn't have a clue how to set that up with the relay. Any guidance would be deeply appreciated.

Oh...as for the back lights, I'll just use Aux 4 for those. I like the ability to turn them on/off, rather than tie them into the DRL's or parking lights. I'm not as concerned about them, though, because they are more for looks than for serving any important function.

I did go ahead and mount the lights themselves, so I'm ready to tackle this when I feel I know enough to be ready.
    Last edited by Principal Skinr; 08-10-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscoHR View Post
    Just use the aux switches. Easiest way to install! Cut the BD harness before the relay and fuses. Splice the power wire to whatever switch you want and run the ground wire to a ground post by the battery. Doesn’t get any easier than that.

Are you saying to cut it between the BD switch and the relay or before the relay? Remember, there are separate settings for low/high.

Here is a pic of the wires going into the switch...two red and two white. I'm guessing that one red is low beam and one is high?

If cutting between the lights and the relay, then I guess there will be 4 power wires, so I'd have to splice two low beam wires and two high beam.

Sorry if I sound dumb, but I not only want to not screw anything up, but I also want to do it right. The wire harness alone was about 90 bucks, so I really don't want to take it apart until I know what I'm doing.

Here it is all layed out. The lights are in the boxes.

Hooked
    Ok, I'm working through this. I think I'll do it the easiest way first and wire the low beams to Aux 1, high beams to Aux 3, and back light to Aux 4. I'll take my chances that my wife and kids will never mess with them. They haven't yet, anyway.

(I'm not using Aux 2 because I currently have Rigid side shooters on the cowling. If the side lighting is good enough on the LP6 lights, then I'll remove the Rigids and move them to my JK. If not, I'll just keep them there.)

I'll figure out later how to set up a relay to make Aux 1 the "on, low beam" button, and then when Aux 2 is pressed, it will override aux 1, cutting power to low beams, while activating high beams.

So, I have the wiring diagram from BD for the lights. Red is low beam, white is high, yellow is backlight, and black is ground......

Hooked
    Ok, so I now see where the wires from the two lights are spliced, so we're good to go. I've cut it before the relay and have connected the ground and the running lights to Aux 4, to validate. I think things are looking up. Now I've got to go get some butt splices and shrink tubing to get it set up correctly. I expect that I'll be posting next with it all done. Thanks again for the advice and help. I'm just not experienced with electrical stuff and tend to proceed cautiously and by asking alot of questions. Learnin' as I go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast