Differential Fluid Replacement

DavidDJL69

Am I crazy for replacing the fluid in my JLUR diffs with Mopar brand or is there clearly a better option? I know Eddie chose Royal Purple and a good friend who owns his own off-road fab shop pushes Schaefer’s. Is one clearly superior or are all adequate? Thanks for any direction on this.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Am I crazy for replacing the fluid in my JLUR diffs with Mopar brand or is there clearly a better option? I know Eddie chose Royal Purple and a good friend who owns his own off-road fab shop pushes Schaefer’s. Is one clearly superior or are all adequate? Thanks for any direction on this.

I've always used the cheapest gear lube possible. Been doing that for years. No issues at all. Just make sure that if you have a limited slip differential that it has the friction modifier additive.

On my JK I used to use Lucas, but I felt like it was heavy despite being labelled the correct weight. I did my final swap on the JK using Mobil1 and liked it. The things is Mopar doesn't make that oil, its some other company's rebranded. You're paying over retail for the same crap Advance Auto is running coupons for. When I have to do mine I'll probably go with Mobil1 again or Royal Purple. All opinion based though. The only thing I'd buy from the dealer is coolant. That's a whole other fiasco.

I've always used the cheapest gear lube possible. Been doing that for years. No issues at all. Just make sure that if you have a limited slip differential that it has the friction modifier additive.

DIDNT EVEN THINK OF THAT!!! Yikes, thanks for mentioning that so its on my mind when the time comes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This ^^^ is solid advice. I should note that MOST synthetic gear oil has friction modifier in them.

Exodus Jeeps

Advertiser
Supporter
Anytime we re-gear and do the post break-in inspection, we use STP because we get a great deal on it from Autozone. If the customer isn’t running an ARB they have an option to use Amzoil (after the break in) or Swepco.

SouthCo

I changed the diff fluid about in my JLU about 4K mikes ago. Used Mobil 1 which already has the LSD additive in it. I use that in my 2500 diesel pickup as well. I like it but know other fluids will provide good results as well...