6 speed manual

Geko Desertrunner

Been using the search function and finding a resounding answer that the 8 speed is worth it on these new JLs

I have been a manual driver for the majority of my life not including my current DD F150. Both my JKs were 6 speeds and as much as I love throwing gears there is a possibility in the next year or so we will be in the market for a JL.

I have looked at every dealership within a 5 hours drive of me and none of them have any gas 6 speeds to go test drive. With that said anyone with the 6 speed out there that can post up their thoughts on how the 6 speed feels in general and compared to the JK 6 speed? (I owned an 08 manual and currently own a 12 manual)

I understand the pros and cons of an auto for daily driving and on the rocks just really looking for how the new manual feels compared to the JK

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Geko Desertrunner

Nope but I guarantee it drives the same as my JK 6 speed. I have driven the JL 8 speed and it’s great.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal
I too have driven the new 8 speed and agree it's great.
I'd still like to hear from someone who at least has driven a 6 speed JL. The overlander guarantee isn't quite enough to convince me haha.

I do not have any experience with the JK manual. I did test drive a JL manual before I bought the 8-speed. When I was researching, I read that the new manual has more positive engagement and shorter throws than the JK did. The clutch pedal movement is short, and the effort it supposedly lower. It's more "car-like", in a sense. From my test drive, I'd say it's safe to assume that is an appropriate assessment. I enjoyed the manual, but the 8-speed made the 3.6 feel so lively. It's also "smarter" than my previous auto transmissions. It's pretty good at picking the right gear at the right time in all conditions, whether I'm accelerating, decelerating, going up hill, or down. Plus the wife could drive it, if I end up unconscious [emoji1]

Hella Yella 2018 JLUR. V6. Auto. Uniden 880 cb. Vision X Dura-M460 cube lights.

drhcobra

I too have driven the new 8 speed and agree it's great.
I'd still like to hear from someone who at least has driven a 6 speed JL. The overlander guarantee isn't quite enough to convince me haha.

I have the manual trans on my JL, I have no problem with it. The main reason I went that way was to save some $$$. I have a 2 door rubicon with about 3K miles. I have driven a manual JK. And can’t say it’s much different better feel on the clutch but it had a lot of miles. Mine is not a DD, and I would probably go auto if that was the case. Wife wanted me to get auto, she can drive it fine.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

bigbluehighway

I bought a 2019 JL with a manual transmission about a month ago and love it. Though almost every vehicle I've owned over the last 30 years have had manuals. All have been daily drivers. No regrets here even when sitting in rush hour traffic. I had a manual TJ years ago and liked it. I have driven a few JKs with manuals and think the JL has a nicer clutch feel and also shorter smoother shifts. Never driven the JL auto but I heard it is nice. I prefer a manual and am disappointed by most automatics. One thing to consider is the auto start/stop. I like the way it works with the manual. It only activates when you shift to neutral and release the clutch. If you keep it in 1st while stopped, it doesn't activate. I have more control over when it activates and I like that. Go with your gut feeling and you'll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app