Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Rubicon suspension on a Sport, Yes or No?

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14

    Rubicon suspension on a Sport, Yes or No?

    Hi Folks,
    Well, the other night I was kinda in the right place at the right time and scored 2019 JLU Rubicon take-off wheels/tires and complete suspension (springs, shocks, LCAs).

    I've read a couple times that a Rubicon suspension is worth about a 1" to 1.5" lift when put on a JLU Sport. I have no complaints with the stock clearance but another inch or so would be great for what I do, especially since I'll eventually be putting on the Rubicon wheels/tires.

    For anyone that has put the Rubicon suspension on a Sport, what were your results? Worth it?

    The wheels/tires did not include the TPMS sensors so I'll be ordering new sensors before installing those.

    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,349
    This has been covered many times.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37’s
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40’s
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  3. #3
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    This has been covered many times.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Yep! You're right. Guess I should have used a better search string. Looks like it will do what I want.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    2,313

    Rubicon suspension on a Sport, Yes or No?

    Three threads I found, doing a quick search. I wouldn’t pay much for them, if I were you. One advantage a Rubicon has, is high clearance fenders.


    https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...sion-on-a-2-dr

    https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...Shocks-Springs

    https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...ings-on-Sahara

    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Last edited by notnalc68; 07-28-2019 at 04:03 AM.

  5. #5
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Three threads I found, doing a quick search. I wouldn’t pay much for them, if I were you. One advantage a Rubicon has, is high clearance fenders.


    https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...sion-on-a-2-dr

    https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...Shocks-Springs

    https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...ings-on-Sahara

    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Thanks for the links. I appreciate it.

    I'm not in a hurry so I think I'll explore other options before doing all the work. My Jeep will very likely never see tires any bigger than 33", especially with the current 3.45 gearing, so I want to keep things simple.

  6. #6
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    75

    Rubicon suspension on a Sport, Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by cb4017 View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Well, the other night I was kinda in the right place at the right time and scored 2019 JLU Rubicon take-off wheels/tires and complete suspension (springs, shocks, LCAs).

    I've read a couple times that a Rubicon suspension is worth about a 1" to 1.5" lift when put on a JLU Sport. I have no complaints with the stock clearance but another inch or so would be great for what I do, especially since I'll eventually be putting on the Rubicon wheels/tires.

    For anyone that has put the Rubicon suspension on a Sport, what were your results? Worth it?

    The wheels/tires did not include the TPMS sensors so I'll be ordering new sensors before installing those.

    Thanks!
    You already have them so Id say yes!

    What are the part numbers on the Rubicon springs? They have a few different ones depending on how the Rubicon was outfitted (steel bumpers, tow package, hardtop etc). I put Rubicon springs and shocks on my Sahara and got about 1.5” lift. The springs I bought yield the most lift and are 3662AC and 3661AC for the front and 3592AA and 3591AA for the rear. Still rides great with the Rubicon shocks and I have no desire to go higher. I may put 33” tires on when the stock ones wear out.

    It wasn’t that hard to swap the springs and shocks out.
    2018 JLU Silver Sahara

  7. #7
    Fresh Catch HGJKRubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Pottstown, PA
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by cb4017 View Post
    Hi Folks,

    For anyone that has put the Rubicon suspension on a Sport, what were your results? Worth it?

    Thanks!
    Yes it’s worth it if you’re looking for an inexpensive way to give your Sport a small boost. I got exactly 1.5” adding Rubi coils (also with hardtop and tow pkg) to my Sport and really like the stance now with 33’s over the factory Sport height.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon - Billet Silver
    2.5" Teraflex coil lift | 35" BFG AT KO2| AEV Onyx Pintler wheels | AEV tire carrier on 10A Rubicon Rear Bumper | RR front Bumper | Superwinch

  8. #8
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14
    Just a quick update.

    I did install a Rubicon suspension. I ended up gaining 1.25" in front and just over 2" in the rear. I also installed 32" tires (LT255/75-17) as to not effect overall gear ratio too much. I'm satisfied so far. For exploring the high desert this does what I need it to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Been Around the Block scoobycarolanNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    375
    For $300 you can get the AEV spacer kit & get the procal to change your tire size.....

  10. #10
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobycarolanNC View Post
    For $300 you can get the AEV spacer kit & get the procal to change your tire size.....
    True, but I haul a small travel trailer occasionally and didn't want to effect overall gear ration mostly for that reason. Maybe someday I'll re-gear or get some Rubicon axle take-offs then go for the bigger tires. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •