Stuck

NFRs2000NYC

Disagree about wheeling alone, but being prepared is a different story. He has no way of recovering himself, no cell independent communication, no provisions, etc. Just bad planning, badly prepared, and did everything wrong.

Disagree about wheeling alone, but being prepared is a different story. He has no way of recovering himself, no cell independent communication, no provisions, etc. Just bad planning, badly prepared, and did everything wrong.

Agree with everything but when you go 40 miles from the nearest town, I would bring someone along. His situation looked like self recovery gear could’ve gotten him out but you never know when wheeling alone if the gear you bring along will be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Today we have excellent tech for off grid things, be it solar/fire chargers for phones, GPS SOS beacons, cheap to rent satellite phones, etc, its just being sloppy and dumb. Lets face it, someone like me for instance, go to Moab and the area with just me and my wife. We live in NJ and can't just ask someone to come on a 40 hour drive to hang with us in the mountains. We wheel alone all the time, however, I always make sure I am fully prepped, inform at least 3 parties daily exactly where we are going and where we are supposed to be, who to contact (ranger station, police, etc) if they don't hear from us by X oclock, know how to use the crap I have, and if the shit should really hit the fan, I know the basic rules (ie don't leave your vehicle). Of course I agree that having another party/vehicle with you is ideal, but it's not always practical, so a little preparation can be the difference between life and death. This guy is alive solely because of luck.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

MrMischief

Sounds like the biker had an inReach enabled GPS. I've been thinking about picking one of these up. Any opinions on if they are better (or worse) than a ham radio with APRS updating to a website like https://aprs.fi ?