Welding sliders onto the JL frame

JeepJL

I’ve been waiting and waiting for the EVO weld on frame sliders to become available for the JL but I’m just about over waiting so I’m thinking about building my own set of sliders. With that said I’m also starting to wonder if the thinner frame can handle a set of sliders just directly welded to the frame in the same fashion the EVO JK sliders weld on. Also with the new body mounts I’m curious how much the body is going to move around and how much room I’ll need to leave between the slider and body.

Has anyone else played around or done something like this yet? Is it safe to weld on the JL frame with all the added BCM’s and enhanced electronics?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

People weld long arm brackets on so yes you are fine. The frame is HSS though so you have to be careful welding it and follow a welding schedule such that you don't induce too.kuch heat in any one area. You also will want to ensure the frame interface has a large surface area to distribute the load. The HSS is stronger tensile strength but it is thinner wall so have to watch out for tearing.

Sent via....

JTCO

Meme King
Glad I found this thread. I didn't realize the frame was different. We'll be welding on most likely as well.

JeepJL

People weld long arm brackets on so yes you are fine. The frame is HSS though so you have to be careful welding it and follow a welding schedule such that you don't induce too.kuch heat in any one area. You also will want to ensure the frame interface has a large surface area to distribute the load. The HSS is stronger tensile strength but it is thinner wall so have to watch out for tearing.

Sent via....

This is great information! What do you know about the body mount movement? Are they like the JK or even softer? I know my JK body could move around quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

2Wheel-Lee

Sent via....

What grade of HSS is it?