EVO Bomber Rocker Install with Skins

RLW007

Currently installing EVO Bomber Rockers with skins as per Eddie’s video on a 2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited. Having trouble keeping the skin tight to the body as I tighten all the bolts. Is there a certain sequence to tighten the bolts to keep the skin flat to the body? As I tighten them the upper side of the skin moves out from the body. Any suggestions are appreciated as I dont want to drill holes in the body until proper alignment is done. Such a pain
Thanks
Randy

RLW007

Its hard to see, but the top of the front skin in 3/8 off the body panel? I have always been very happy with EVO products but now wondering
Randy

Attachments

• 17404FD7-84E9-4573-8F93-8512812B2236.jpg
    17404FD7-84E9-4573-8F93-8512812B2236.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 120
  • D9F41860-B880-4EDA-94FF-99C7BA48E318.jpg
    D9F41860-B880-4EDA-94FF-99C7BA48E318.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 125

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Its hard to see, but the top of the front skin in 3/8 off the body panel? I have always been very happy with EVO products but now wondering
Randy

The tub of the JL is curved much more than the tub of the JK. When I installed similar armor on my JKUR, I used bar clamps to help seat of the rock skins.

shopping.jpeg

MrGiant

If that skin is that far off and you tighten it to the bomber, wont the skin pull the very thin body panel out? Just asking, might the bending of the skin be wrong?

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Hard to tell from those pictures but almost looks like the skin is too far forward.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

RLW007

The skin is not too forward. It just looks like that in the Pic. I have the same concern about the skin being pulled out from the body side once installed. If the bolts are loose I can push the skin to the body. Its when I tighten them that it starts to pull away. I have never installed skins before. Just dont want to screw it up. They may all be that way for all I know

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Currently installing EVO Bomber Rockers with skins as per Eddie’s video on a 2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited. Having trouble keeping the skin tight to the body as I tighten all the bolts. Is there a certain sequence to tighten the bolts to keep the skin flat to the body? As I tighten them the upper side of the skin moves out from the body. Any suggestions are appreciated as I dont want to drill holes in the body until proper alignment is done. Such a pain
Thanks
Randy

You need to keep the bolts loose enough so that you can push the skins flat onto the body. Holding the skin there, mark your holes - I like to use circle them with a marker and then locate the center with a center punch. That will help to ensure you get them right. Another thing you can do to help get things on right is to keep your rocker guard in place like this and then use it as a guide to at least create pilot holes.

RLW007

Thanks for the information. EVO’s instructions states to tighten the button head bolts before the nutcert marking,drilling and install. I called them and now they said to mark, drill, and install nutcerts BEFORE tightening the bolts as Eddie suggests. Thanks again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the information. EVO’s instructions states to tighten the button head bolts before the nutcert marking,drilling and install. I called them and now they said to mark, drill, and install nutcerts BEFORE tightening the bolts as Eddie suggests. Thanks again

LOL - glad to hear my advice was right :)