Roof top tents

Piginajeep

Anyone have feedback on them?

I’m no overlander so I have no idea where to look.

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1989 YJ Sahara
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

Piginajeep

What world is this? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

We’re turning into hipsters, next thing you know Eddie’s going to have a man bun and a well trimmed beard.

I was told the smittybilt is decent [emoji15]. I’m just not sure how much I’m will to spend on a tent I won’t use much. So I’m looking at cheaper options

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1989 YJ Sahara
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

NFRs2000NYC

I've used a couple. IMHO, the fold out ones, have one single pro....space. If you have 2+ people, they are quite nice and large. Everything else is a con. They flap around, they get filthy, if wet they need to be aired out, they are a PITA to break down, they are a PITA to setup in foul weather, they look like sh!t when folded up, they hurt gas mileage pretty badly (although not on a trail, on highway rides to said trail), etc. If you can swing it, and don't need more space than the roof of your unlimited Jeep, I would look into the hard clamshell crank style....they are much faster to setup and break down, can keep bedding in there, they are much cleaner looking, they remain clean while wheeling, they are generally better built, etc. Con is, they cost more money, and they have less space. Here is an example...you can also look at the italian company that was used on the WAYOUT concept for the gladiator.
https://www.roamadventureco.com/collections/tents/products/the-rambler
https://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tents/maggiolina-airland/

Last edited:

Piginajeep

It’s going on the rack on my JT. It will not be on for DD

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1989 YJ Sahara
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

That Maggiolina is so sweet and it addresses what clamshell lack which is space but at the same it time the decently sized ones are expensive! Buy once cry once lol setting up a fold out tent is a pain for sure but the clamshell I only see the pro on the set up, breaking it down will be fast but you’re still waiting on your friends, kinda like the whole Power Tank argument. If you’re wheeling alone then yeah it’ll be a pro. Wouldn’t both type of tents require to be aired out if they got wet or were broken down during a rain storm? I’m sure the fold out tent would have more water on it as they’re bigger, then folding on to itself and zipped closed isn’t going to help. Not sure if I understood that part right.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Yeah, that’s a little to much for a twice used a year tent

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1989 YJ Sahara
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

You spend more than that on tents that your wife throws rocks at. Don’t be a bitch.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

JeepJL

If you’re willing to drive keep an eye on Craigslist. I see them a lot for pretty good prices considering they are slightly used. We bought a CVT because they are local a few years ago. Used it twice then sold it. Was over waking up on a soaking wet mattress from condensation underneath the mattress. I later learned that where we live we can have 50 degree differences between night and day and it can cause heavy condensation paired with the body heat through the mattress.
Overall it was a pretty cool design but it’s a lot more work then throwing up a hammock for the night. If you fold it up wet you’ll need to open it back up to dry out. Freespirit recreation is another local company. I live in the heart of RTT/overlanding land lol