Normal driving for a lifted JL on 37" tires or not? Would appreciate some input.

Ski

Normal driving for a lifted JL on 37" tires or not? Would appreciate some input.

Okay Guys and Gals. I am completely new to the Jeep world as well as driving a vehicle with a lift kit and larger mud tires. I recently purchased a 2019 JL Rubicon unlimited, had a Mopar 2" lift installed by the dealership and put 37" Cooper Discoverer STT Pros (37 X 13.50 X R17) on it. Let me try to describe what I feel when driving the Jeep. It feels as if you really have to pay attention and actually work to keep the Jeep in your lane. I am not experiencing anything like some of the issues others have described with the death wobble and things like that. It just seems like you have to have constant driver input to maintain the vehicle in your lane, especially the faster the vehicle goes. I just want to know if this is normal and expected behavior when driving a lifted vehicle on mud type tires. I know it is a completely different vehicle than most others on the road, I just want to make sure it is normal to feel this type of driving behavior so I don't overlook something that could be wrong with the Jeep and just blow it off as that is what a vehicle like this probably feels like when driving it. Sorry for what some may think is a stupid question, I just have never experienced anything like this before and want to know it is normal for this kind of set-up. Thank you in advance for your input, it is appreciated.

Ski

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I've got the same tires and do not have this problem. What PSI are you running in your tires? I'm currently running 26 on all four corners.

Upgrading the tie rod, drag link, and steering stabilizer would probably help. I couldn’t imagine a Mopar lift messing with the symmetry too much, with running 37s it wouldn’t be bad to stiffen up your steering components with heavier duty parts.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

GrayBeard

Sounds like something is not adjusted correctly. I'm running same lift and 37s and mine drives straight as an arrow.

I did add the Heavy Duty Adjustable Ranch Track Bar, but that was because of the annoying occasional minoe steering shimmy. The track bar solved the shimmy. I also replaced the steering stabilizer, only because there was a TSB for mine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
Check that all of the bolts are torqued correctly. Especially the track bar. Check this yourself. Don't assume that they did their job correctly.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Check that all of the bolts are torqued correctly. Especially the track bar. Check this yourself. Don't assume that they did their job correctly.

Absolutely true. Never assume anybody did their job correctly. Many people just want to get home by 5 nowadays.

Ski

Do you happen to know the recommended torque settings?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
My tires are at 34 PSI.

That pressure was too high for my tires, however I do live at 7500 feet so I'm not absolutely sure if that makes a difference. In addition to checking all of your bolt torques which should be done anyways, you can always do the chalk test on your tires.

JeepJL

I set of adjustable front lower control arms to get more caster then what the 1/8” longer Mopar arms come should really help what you are feeling. I’ve installed several of these kits at the dealership and now we always order new lower arms just for that reason to give the lift a bit more caster. I personally like to see around 6 degrees on the JL. Seems to be a pretty sweet spot for driving nice.

dixonk

One other thing to consider is the fact you are new to driving something lifted with big tires. When my wife drives my Jeep she complains that she has to manipulate the steering too much. You can see she is constantly moving the wheel to stay straight. When I drive it is pretty planted. She is use to driving her Audi with electric steering and all the whiz bang crap and it’s such a departure that she isn’t accustomed to it.

I set of adjustable front lower control arms to get more caster then what the 1/8” longer Mopar arms come should really help what you are feeling. I’ve installed several of these kits at the dealership and now we always order new lower arms just for that reason to give the lift a bit more caster. I personally like to see around 6 degrees on the JL. Seems to be a pretty sweet spot for driving nice.

I'll second this opinion. I was thinking really hard about the Mopar lift for a while when I actually cared about my warranty. The one consistent feedback I saw for improvement was that most users felt the fixed arms provided with the kit did not give enough caster and caused flight steering.

Hella Yella 2018 JLUR. V6. Auto. Uniden 880 cb. Vision X Dura-M460 cube lights.

13.5s will definitely track in the road & you need to drop some pressure to help. Then take everyone’s advice about torque checking. Don’t assume that tight is tight, get a torque wrench if you don’t have one.

offcamber

In addition to the adjustable LCA's you will want adustable trackbars front and rear to recenter the axles. The Mopar lift (if like mine) shifted the axles 3/4 " each way...

JeepJL

^^^ this, if you get the axles centered and the caster along with balanced and correct psi in the tires your jeep will drive amazing my JL with a 3.5” lift and 38s drives as good if not better then my grand Cherokee and hands down way better then my JK. Good shocks help too. Love my Kings, gives it a bit stiffer ride but not hard by all means.

ccjljeep

I had the same problem, 2.5 lift and 37 12.50 toyo mt 25 psi. Installed steering stabilizer made a big difference. The biggest difference was replacing the track bar there are known issues with the bushings. I installed the JKS adjustable track bar made a huge difference in the play and responsiveness of the steering.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app