Thread: Welding sliders onto the JL frame

Welding sliders onto the JL frame

Iíve been waiting and waiting for the EVO weld on frame sliders to become available for the JL but Iím just about over waiting so Iím thinking about building my own set of sliders. With that said Iím also starting to wonder if the thinner frame can handle a set of sliders just directly welded to the frame in the same fashion the EVO JK sliders weld on. Also with the new body mounts Iím curious how much the body is going to move around and how much room Iíll need to leave between the slider and body.

Has anyone else played around or done something like this yet? Is it safe to weld on the JL frame with all the added BCMís and enhanced electronics?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Nothing but a Thing
    People weld long arm brackets on so yes you are fine. The frame is HSS though so you have to be careful welding it and follow a welding schedule such that you don't induce too.kuch heat in any one area. You also will want to ensure the frame interface has a large surface area to distribute the load. The HSS is stronger tensile strength but it is thinner wall so have to watch out for tearing.

Sent via....

Glad I found this thread. I didn't realize the frame was different. We'll be welding on most likely as well.
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    People weld long arm brackets on so yes you are fine. The frame is HSS though so you have to be careful welding it and follow a welding schedule such that you don't induce too.kuch heat in any one area. You also will want to ensure the frame interface has a large surface area to distribute the load. The HSS is stronger tensile strength but it is thinner wall so have to watch out for tearing.

Sent via....
    This is great information! What do you know about the body mount movement? Are they like the JK or even softer? I know my JK body could move around quite a bit.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post

Sent via....
    What grade of HSS is it?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepJL View Post
    This is great information! What do you know about the body mount movement? Are they like the JK or even softer? I know my JK body could move around quite a bit.

Every vehicle with rubber body mounts will move. Yes, itís gonna be the same as the JK.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5