2.0L turbo temps

truckpete

Just curious what other guys are seeing for oil and coolant temps? They must run about a 215 degree thermostat in these little motors. Mine is regularly 200-220 coolant temps.. and 200-226 oil temps. I completely understand that it’s a lot of power from a small displacement(boost = heat, etc)... and I’m sure if they wanted it to run cooler they would have designed a cooling system to make it run cooler. (Coolant temp needle shows it to be perfectly in a “normal” range)

Is there some emissions or efficiency advantage to setting it up to run this hot?

Pic is pulling a 2 mile very slight grade on the high.
IMG_7847.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Yes its better for emissions. That is by no means hot. JKs ran the same temps they just didn't have the gauges to see it. Almost all modern vehicles run that temp or even hotter.

Sent via....

Capricorn

How high can engine temperature go before the warning light comes on?

I have the 2020 JLUR 2.0L (without etorque). I bought this two weeks ago and it is the height of Vegas summer with temps at 105-110. My daily commute to work is 24 miles and I get gradual ascent on the way back. My engine shows up to 230 degrees F. I am curious how high engine temp or coolant temp can rise before the temp warning comes on?
What is the acceptable high on the coolant and engine oil temperatures? Is there an oil cooling thermostat and at what temp does it kick in?
The owner's manual just says what to do if the warning comes on but does not provide the allowed temperature range.

Jibblish

I have the 2020 JLUR 2.0L (without etorque). I bought this two weeks ago and it is the height of Vegas summer with temps at 105-110. My daily commute to work is 24 miles and I get gradual ascent on the way back. My engine shows up to 230 degrees F. I am curious how high engine temp or coolant temp can rise before the temp warning comes on?
What is the acceptable high on the coolant and engine oil temperatures? Is there an oil cooling thermostat and at what temp does it kick in?
The owner's manual just says what to do if the warning comes on but does not provide the allowed temperature range.

Most modern cars will run very hot compared to old ones, my 85 toyota ran at about 185. If its 230 and the gauge isn't above or high above the middle line you're fine

Capricorn

Most modern cars will run very hot compared to old ones, my 85 toyota ran at about 185. If its 230 and the gauge isn't above or high above the middle line you're fine

Thanks. Now I have the opposite issue with Vegas temps falling into freezing 80s.
Ambient temperature apparently has a big effect. Now on the same commute, I struggle to go over 203℉ oil temperature.
Mostly I am at around 195-200℉. Are these temps good in the long run for the integrity of engine oil? Shouldn't it be at least 212℉ (oil temp) to boil off water?

asmith1923

Boiling off water in your engine oil? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Wouldn’t there need to be some kind of vent?

Oh, is that what the old PCV valves did? Back when I was a kid working at Jiffy Lube, we used to sell those things like crazy.

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!

ddays v2

Thanks. Now I have the opposite issue with Vegas temps falling into freezing 80s.
Ambient temperature apparently has a big effect. Now on the same commute, I struggle to go over 203℉ oil temperature.
Mostly I am at around 195-200℉. Are these temps good in the long run for the integrity of engine oil? Shouldn't it be at least 212℉ (oil temp) to boil off water?

I'm not really trying to be a smart ass, but do you have the only Jeep in Vegas?

I'm sure you'll be just fine. I think you're obsessing just a tad. They test these things in extremes worse than what you're seeing. Turn your gauges off & enjoy the commute and your free SXM radio!