Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.0L turbo temps

2.0L turbo temps

Just curious what other guys are seeing for oil and coolant temps? They must run about a 215 degree thermostat in these little motors. Mine is regularly 200-220 coolant temps.. and 200-226 oil temps. I completely understand that itís a lot of power from a small displacement(boost = heat, etc)... and Iím sure if they wanted it to run cooler they would have designed a cooling system to make it run cooler. (Coolant temp needle shows it to be perfectly in a ďnormalĒ range)

Is there some emissions or efficiency advantage to setting it up to run this hot?

Pic is pulling a 2 mile very slight grade on the high.
    IMG_7847.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Nothing but a Thing
    Yes its better for emissions. That is by no means hot. JKs ran the same temps they just didn't have the gauges to see it. Almost all modern vehicles run that temp or even hotter.

Sent via....

I have a 2.0T as well and at first I thought it was running hot but I was told the same....all good. PS love the torque of the turbo!

Thanks for the info. Iím used to looking at temps in my Caterpillar C15.. and I would only see those temps if there was a problem... even pulling 102,000lbs.

UPDATE: I made the Rubicon hood vents FULLY FUNCTIONAL and my engine temperature on my 2.0 dropped 15-18 degrees on average

Allen B
    2018 JLU- Rubicon- Firecracker Red

Quote Originally Posted by abeggs View Post
    UPDATE: I made the Rubicon hood vents FULLY FUNCTIONAL and my engine temperature on my 2.0 dropped 15-18 degrees on average

Allen B

Where's the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by abeggs View Post

Allen B

Good to know. Maybe Iíll try something similar.

Fresh Catch

How high can engine temperature go before the warning light comes on?

I have the 2020 JLUR 2.0L (without etorque). I bought this two weeks ago and it is the height of Vegas summer with temps at 105-110. My daily commute to work is 24 miles and I get gradual ascent on the way back. My engine shows up to 230 degrees F. I am curious how high engine temp or coolant temp can rise before the temp warning comes on?
    What is the acceptable high on the coolant and engine oil temperatures? Is there an oil cooling thermostat and at what temp does it kick in?
    The owner's manual just says what to do if the warning comes on but does not provide the allowed temperature range.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
    I have the 2020 JLUR 2.0L (without etorque). I bought this two weeks ago and it is the height of Vegas summer with temps at 105-110. My daily commute to work is 24 miles and I get gradual ascent on the way back. My engine shows up to 230 degrees F. I am curious how high engine temp or coolant temp can rise before the temp warning comes on?
    What is the acceptable high on the coolant and engine oil temperatures? Is there an oil cooling thermostat and at what temp does it kick in?
    The owner's manual just says what to do if the warning comes on but does not provide the allowed temperature range.
    Most modern cars will run very hot compared to old ones, my 85 toyota ran at about 185. If its 230 and the gauge isn't above or high above the middle line you're fine

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibblish View Post
    Most modern cars will run very hot compared to old ones, my 85 toyota ran at about 185. If its 230 and the gauge isn't above or high above the middle line you're fine
    Thanks. Now I have the opposite issue with Vegas temps falling into freezing 80s.
    Ambient temperature apparently has a big effect. Now on the same commute, I struggle to go over 203℉ oil temperature.
    Mostly I am at around 195-200℉. Are these temps good in the long run for the integrity of engine oil? Shouldn't it be at least 212℉ (oil temp) to boil off water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast