Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 2.0L turbo temps

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch truckpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Gardner MA
    Posts
    24

    2.0L turbo temps

    Just curious what other guys are seeing for oil and coolant temps? They must run about a 215 degree thermostat in these little motors. Mine is regularly 200-220 coolant temps.. and 200-226 oil temps. I completely understand that itís a lot of power from a small displacement(boost = heat, etc)... and Iím sure if they wanted it to run cooler they would have designed a cooling system to make it run cooler. (Coolant temp needle shows it to be perfectly in a ďnormalĒ range)

    Is there some emissions or efficiency advantage to setting it up to run this hot?

    Pic is pulling a 2 mile very slight grade on the high.
    IMG_7847.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  2. #2
    Nothing but a Thing
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,307
    Yes its better for emissions. That is by no means hot. JKs ran the same temps they just didn't have the gauges to see it. Almost all modern vehicles run that temp or even hotter.

    Sent via....

  3. #3
    Fresh Catch HERIKANE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    13
    I have a 2.0T as well and at first I thought it was running hot but I was told the same....all good. PS love the torque of the turbo!


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  4. #4
    Fresh Catch truckpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Gardner MA
    Posts
    24
    Thanks for the info. Iím used to looking at temps in my Caterpillar C15.. and I would only see those temps if there was a problem... even pulling 102,000lbs.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  5. #5
    Fresh Catch abeggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    20
    UPDATE: I made the Rubicon hood vents FULLY FUNCTIONAL and my engine temperature on my 2.0 dropped 15-18 degrees on average


    Allen B
    2018 JLU- Rubicon- Firecracker Red


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  6. #6
    Been Around the Block CalSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by abeggs View Post
    UPDATE: I made the Rubicon hood vents FULLY FUNCTIONAL and my engine temperature on my 2.0 dropped 15-18 degrees on average


    Allen B
    2018 JLU- Rubicon- Firecracker Red


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Where's the pictures?

  7. #7
    Fresh Catch truckpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Gardner MA
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by abeggs View Post
    UPDATE: I made the Rubicon hood vents FULLY FUNCTIONAL and my engine temperature on my 2.0 dropped 15-18 degrees on average


    Allen B
    2018 JLU- Rubicon- Firecracker Red


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Good to know. Maybe Iíll try something similar.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  8. #8
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2

    How high can engine temperature go before the warning light comes on?

    I have the 2020 JLUR 2.0L (without etorque). I bought this two weeks ago and it is the height of Vegas summer with temps at 105-110. My daily commute to work is 24 miles and I get gradual ascent on the way back. My engine shows up to 230 degrees F. I am curious how high engine temp or coolant temp can rise before the temp warning comes on?
    What is the acceptable high on the coolant and engine oil temperatures? Is there an oil cooling thermostat and at what temp does it kick in?
    The owner's manual just says what to do if the warning comes on but does not provide the allowed temperature range.

  9. #9
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
    I have the 2020 JLUR 2.0L (without etorque). I bought this two weeks ago and it is the height of Vegas summer with temps at 105-110. My daily commute to work is 24 miles and I get gradual ascent on the way back. My engine shows up to 230 degrees F. I am curious how high engine temp or coolant temp can rise before the temp warning comes on?
    What is the acceptable high on the coolant and engine oil temperatures? Is there an oil cooling thermostat and at what temp does it kick in?
    The owner's manual just says what to do if the warning comes on but does not provide the allowed temperature range.
    Most modern cars will run very hot compared to old ones, my 85 toyota ran at about 185. If its 230 and the gauge isn't above or high above the middle line you're fine

  10. #10
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibblish View Post
    Most modern cars will run very hot compared to old ones, my 85 toyota ran at about 185. If its 230 and the gauge isn't above or high above the middle line you're fine
    Thanks. Now I have the opposite issue with Vegas temps falling into freezing 80s.
    Ambient temperature apparently has a big effect. Now on the same commute, I struggle to go over 203℉ oil temperature.
    Mostly I am at around 195-200℉. Are these temps good in the long run for the integrity of engine oil? Shouldn't it be at least 212℉ (oil temp) to boil off water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •