Mammoth 4x4 control arms update and a warning about Extreme Terrain

longarmwj

Cross posting this between here and Wayalife so everyone can see and know to avoid like the plague. For a bit of back story, I bought a set of used control arms in a pinch and they ended up being shit.

So...I am fully prepared for the “I told ya so”s that I am going to get, and I am ready to take the fire lol. Anywho...onto the topic at hand.

Last October I took my Jeep into my friends 4x4 shop because it was driving like dog shit and making all kinds of weird clunking noises. The verdict was all of my factory control arm bushings, both frame and axle side, were shot. Now keep in mind that they had lasted a year and 8 months of decently hard wheeling and held up, up until that point.

In a pinch, I came across a set of new in box, “used” control arms that a guy never installed and was letting go. They are made by mammoth 4x4, which is an extreme terrain in-house brand. Due to how convenient they were to get my hands on, and due to the cost, I picked them up, if nothing else as a temporary solution to a pretty important problem.

Now, I’m back to where i started. I’ve had these installed 8 months, greased them every third fill up and after every wheeling trip, and have only wheeled it maybe 6-7 times, and I noticed a clunking in my rear ended. Took it back to my buddy’s shop to rack it up, and guess what? All control arm frame side bushings are toast.

Now keep in mind, these AFTERMARKET control arms with “stronger” Heim joints lasted an entire year LESS then factory control arms did, and the aftermarket have LESS wheeling trips on them! They only have 10,000 miles on them, if that.

So my friend tells me that since they are extreme terrain in-house brand, I should call them and see if they will send out new bushings to hold me over until I can get a set of Synergy arms ordered (house purchase dipped big time into the “fun fund”).

So I call Extreme Terrain and informed them that I had bought them used, but still new in box and they told me that I shouldn’t worry, the warranty was transferable. Great! Off to a good start. Then, they inform me that I need a written statement from the shop saying that the bushings are in fact blown out so that they can verify my claim. No problem, I went the next day and had him type out an invoice stating what he told me and emailed it to the email they gave me.

A day goes by and I heard absolutely nothing, so I call them and tell them the whole ordeal and they look up my email and yadda yadda yadda. Well they said that the invoice looked fine, but now they wanted photos of the control arms showing which bushings are blown. Uhhhh okay? How exactly am i supposed to show blown bushings in a photo but whatever. So I go out, crawl under the jeep and do the best I can to get pictures of the arms. I send them an email with the pictures.

Another day goes by, and no word. So I call them for a third time. Again, had to have them look up the email and they told me the following (paraphrased I can’t remember it word for word, but you’ll get the idea):

“Well I see here where the information was sent over to our warranty claims department but if you notice in one of the pictures the control arm seems to be very heavily scraped indicating hard use offroad, and unfortunately due to a compromised control arm we would have to determine that the cause of failure was user error and misuse of the product and not the fault of the part itself”.

Excuse me what? Aftermarket control arms, for a Jeep, have a warranty that is voided if you use the jeep offroad?? How does that even make sense? And furthermore, how does a rock scrape compromise the control arm, and how does it have any effect on the bushing? Those are things that I asked the representative to hopefully make them realize how stupid that sounds and their response was “Well I’m sorry for the inconvenience sir but to make up for it, if you give us your mailing address we can send out one of our catalogs for you to shop from”. As if that is going to help my issue at hand.

How the hell can an offroad company sell a product that lasts shorter then factory parts, costs more then factory parts, with a worse warranty then factory parts, that gets void if you use the jeep for what the demographic they cater to does?? Blows my mind!

So to sum this very long rant up, I learned the following things

1: Extreme Terrain will let warranty’s roll over

2: however if you wheel your Jeep your warranty goes bye bye

3: Fuck Extreme Terrain

4: y’all were right

5: I’m so fucking glad I didn’t buy them new, or pay anywhere near full price for them

6: I want synergy arms and a shot of whiskey

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Yep. Not surprised with a company like this. Yet another reason I'll never buy from them. Plus, if you were to have accepted the catalog, they have a habit of including stolen stuff in there.

longarmwj

It beats all I’ve ever seen. Like overlander mentioned on Wayalife, I don’t think they all went out all at the same time. Like the factory arms I think it was slowly one after the other until it got to a point where it was very obvious something was broken

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sorry to hear it bud. Hey at least you didn’t have a catastrophic failure & loose a driveshaft or something. Fuck those guys, if they had given you $10 in bushings they’d have won a customer for life.

Sucks about those shitty control arms but i can vouch for the Synergys.Had the front lowers on my JK for about almost three years with no problems.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I’d like to see pictures of both or video of them being blown out.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal