BUST - Part 1 : The California Emigrant Trail / This is Where it All Begins

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BUST starts where it all began over 170 years ago, Independence, Missouri. At the time, this river port town stood at the edge of civilization and it was the point where emigrants would have left riverboats traveling along the Missouri River to begin a 2,000 mile overland trek to the west. In this episode, you'll get to see us follow in their footsteps as we make our way across the plains of Kansas, in our modern day prairie schooners, also known as a Jeep Wrangler and visit historical stops all along the way. This would include the river bank at Upper Independence Landing, the National Frontier Trails Museum, Hart Grove, the Blue River Crossing, New Santa Fe, the Cholera Cemetery and Alcove Spring just to name a few. We hope you enjoy.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you like what you see and haven't done so already, please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel by clicking the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

It's hard to imagine but, up until the 1830's, there were only a handful of people in America who had successfully traveled to California and across what was then only known as, the Great American Desert. Most of these people were trappers, traders and missionaries and it wouldn't be until the 1840's that a more defined route was established by early settlers and given the name, The California Trail. Thanks to the discovery of Gold in 1848, there would ultimately be tens of thousands of people who would make the arduous four month journey, one that started along the banks of the Missouri River and ultimately ended in the goldfields of California. Along the way, they would cover over 2,000 miles, cross deep rivers, tall mountains and an unforgiving desert and all at a time when there were no roads, no stores, no hospitals, no laws and no second chances.

For years, Cindy and I had been wondering if it was possible to retrace the California Trail from beginning to end, as closely as possible to the original route and as much as possible, all on dirt. Along the way, we would make stops at historical sites, see deep ruts carved into the hillsides from the thousands of wagons that passed through before us and follow geological landmarks that early pioneers used to guide their way. After two years of extensive research, careful planning and plotting a viable route, we finally set off to make that trek and this video series chronicles our journey.

To our good friends Tony, Stephanie, Carl, Et, Joe, Don, Lori, Ray, Kevin, Tom, Susan, Ken and Doug for joining us on this epic adventure! We love you guys :cool:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Can’t wait for more! Looks like an awesome trip so far. Tons of history.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

Hip2u77

Nice video! Interested to see the rest of the trip. (You all were 10 minutes from my house in Independence, MO.)

Jeeeep

too short! grabbed a beer, kicked back and it was at the end lol

looks like an awesome trip, looking forward to Part 2!

hmmm Part 1 was 15:36, Part 2 will be 25:43

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome video!!!! I can’t wait for part 2

So glad to hear that you found part 1 enjoyable to watch. :cool:

Can’t wait for more! Looks like an awesome trip so far. Tons of history.

It really was an awesome trip and the crazy thing of it is, we just scratched the surface of all the things we could have seen.

Great video, can’t wait to see the rest of the adventure.

Be sure to check back every Wednesday for the next 3 weeks :)

Nice video! Interested to see the rest of the trip. (You all were 10 minutes from my house in Independence, MO.)

No kidding. It's awesome out there :)

CanadaJeep

Caught the Bug
Great video and History lesson. I like how you narrate your films with facts. Looking forward to part 2 ,3 ,4,5 etc lol

LauraRose

Add "Documentary Film Maker" to your & Cindy's resumes!!!

I'm interested in early American history, so I really enjoyed part 1 of 4. You & Cindy did a beautiful job with the narration, history, beautiful scenic shots - and just the way it all comes together. You always leave us wanting more... well done!! [emoji106]

Just one request: could you please extend it to a 41 part series - seems like a good number [emoji4]

Laura Rose from PA

LauraRose

Oh yeah, awesome to see Moby again... but I can't wait to see the wheeling you've been doing with Jet's new suspension!!!

Any hint as to when that'll hit YouTube?

Laura Rose from PA

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video and History lesson. I like how you narrate your films with facts. Looking forward to part 2 ,3 ,4,5 etc lol

LOL - glad to hear it :)

Refreshing to see Moby stretching his legs!!!:yup::yup:

I guess it has been a while since we featured him on a trail :)

Add "Documentary Film Maker" to your & Cindy's resumes!!!

I'm interested in early American history, so I really enjoyed part 1 of 4. You & Cindy did a beautiful job with the narration, history, beautiful scenic shots - and just the way it all comes together. You always leave us wanting more... well done!! [emoji106]

Just one request: could you please extend it to a 41 part series - seems like a good number [emoji4]

Laura Rose from PA

LOL Thank you and we're happy to hear there are others like you who enjoy early American History :)

Oh yeah, awesome to see Moby again... but I can't wait to see the wheeling you've been doing with Jet's new suspension!!!

Any hint as to when that'll hit YouTube?

Laura Rose from PA

We'll, we were working on it but had to put it on the back burner for just a bit. Got way too many things going on all at the same time :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool video for part 1, looking fwd to the rest!

Awesome! One ever Wednesday for the next 3 weeks are coming your way :)

These films always crack me up. Great to see everyone having a great time. How many of them folks wearing broad brims can honestly say they’ve ever pushed cattle or busted broncs? [emoji848] Bahahaha.

LOL - probably about as many as the emigrants who made this trek over 170 years ago. :crazyeyes:

Another awesome video and fabulous trail adventure. Can't wait to see part 2. Would love to do that one day.

Just curious, why you took Evolution and not Jet Li.

Why not :yup: