JL JOURNAL : EVO Quarter Pounder Front Bumper Installation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure I would want anything on my Jeep that said purejeep anyway. At this point.

It was a good design but no, I wouldn't either.

Would the process be similar you think for the LoD?

The bar note was in jest as you had the bar on your LoD and EVO doesn’t make one. I like the the clean look you’ve been running too. Winch plate and now 1/4 pounder.

Yup, pretty much the same thing. You interested in a used LoD? LOL

TxJeepers

Great video and I'm adding this bumper to the short list for my JL. I didn't notice that you have any auxiliary lighting. Though the JL LEDs are great, I still plan to add a couple quality driving lights or 10" bar to really light up the Texas 2 lane highways I often deal with at night. Much time on those roads without other cars so I like to light it up when doing the 75mph speed limit. Anyway, how would you add lights to this bumper and what, if any, are your plans for some additional lighting?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video and I'm adding this bumper to the short list for my JL. I didn't notice that you have any auxiliary lighting. Though the JL LEDs are great, I still plan to add a couple quality driving lights or 10" bar to really light up the Texas 2 lane highways I often deal with at night. Much time on those roads without other cars so I like to light it up when doing the 75mph speed limit. Anyway, how would you add lights to this bumper and what, if any, are your plans for some additional lighting?

EVO sells a bracket that goes in between the bumper and fairlead and you can mount lights to it. If you're not going to run a stinger, you can also drill into the bumper and attach lights to it that way.

CalSgt

Thanks for the tutorial...

It really helped me to get as far as I have tonight...

I did a hybrid between what you did and what the very understandable EVO directions said for clocking the sway bar. I used the factory bolt in the same hole you chose but had to bore out the non threaded side of the hole a little (1/2" deep exactly) with a 1/2" drill bit to clear the big shoulder on the bolt.

bumper 2.jpg

I couldn't help myself... Had to smooth up some of the welds and the cut edges before painting. I'm sure it will get dinged up but its rewarding to make it look pretty when stuff first goes on.

Bumper .jpg

I would have probably finished at getting the bumper mounted tonight but didn't want to wake the whole neighborhood with the sawzall and grinder removing the "tusks" as you call them.

2Wheel-Lee

On some of the EVO stuff I've received, there's a pamphlet that shows a "pro" bumper, but I can't find any information on that anywhere. I stopped by EVO and saw some on some of the Jeeps they had there. I forgot to ask about them. I did notice that the rear line of the bumper doesn't really match with the grille. Is it really just a JK bumper?

Why did you chose the 1/4#er (that didn't shorten up well...) over the pro model?

CalSgt

On some of the EVO stuff I've received, there's a pamphlet that shows a "pro" bumper, but I can't find any information on that anywhere. I stopped by EVO and saw some on some of the Jeeps they had there. I forgot to ask about them. I did notice that the rear line of the bumper doesn't really match with the grille. Is it really just a JK bumper?

Why did you chose the 1/4#er (that didn't shorten up well...) over the pro model?

I can't speak for Eddie but,

The pro bumper isn't listed for sale for the JL yet... At least as far as I know.

It is a very nice looking bumper but if it mounts the same as on pro model the JK it looks like it would have less ground clearance than the QP'er because it retains all of the frame instead of trimming it down. If I wasn't looking to gain ground clearance I would have kept my stock steel bumper, I liked how it looked & actually got complements on it.

2Wheel-Lee

I can't speak for Eddie but,

The pro bumper isn't listed for sale for the JL yet... At least as far as I know.

It is a very nice looking bumper but if it mounts the same as on pro model the JK it looks like it would have less ground clearance than the QP'er because it retains all of the frame instead of trimming it down. If I wasn't looking to gain ground clearance I would have kept my stock steel bumper, I liked how it looked & actually got complements on it.

Both of the pro model ones I was looking at appeared to have the optional add-on lower shield to protect the sway-bar motor. The pro bumper itself appears to be the same height as the QP'er (that abbreviation seems better), but has a more rounded shape and welded on shackle mounts.

Though you're right about the bumper not being shown for sale, as mentioned, the flyers I received in each EVO box shows it.

Dale72

Caught the Bug
Both of the pro model ones I was looking at appeared to have the optional add-on lower shield to protect the sway-bar motor. The pro bumper itself appears to be the same height as the QP'er (that abbreviation seems better), but has a more rounded shape and welded on shackle mounts.

Though you're right about the bumper not being shown for sale, as mentioned, the flyers I received in each EVO box shows it.
There is a few things that are on EVO'S JL'S that is not listed on the website yet

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

CalSgt

had a hard time finding a good way to mount the front plate... Ended up using the bolt for the fair lead adapter & bending the plate around the bottom and top of bumper. I might end up getting one of those fairlead plate adapters.

F-ing California
9B08C98F-3472-4116-9A79-159A7F499886.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
had a hard time finding a good way to mount the front plate... Ended up using the bolt for the fair lead adapter & bending the plate around the bottom and top of bumper. I might end up getting one of those fairlead plate adapters.

F-ing California

If you get the EVO light bracket, it comes with a provision to mount a plate.