Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winch advice

Wow. Warn.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I used to only buy Warn winches. The last two I had though crapped the bed when I needed them most. On the second one, Warn required me to pay shipping for it back to them for warranty work. I shipped it to them for warranty work and then when I got it back, I sold it. I bought a Smittybilt and it lasted 7 years and never failed and at least twice it was used for hours at a time. I figured if it failed, it's much easier to take it to 4wheel parts and get it taken care of...it never failed so I don't know if that was the case. I've seen more failures with Warns than any other, but maybe people around me just have bad luck?

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
    I used to only buy Warn winches. The last two I had though crapped the bed when I needed them most. On the second one, Warn required me to pay shipping for it back to them for warranty work. I shipped it to them for warranty work and then when I got it back, I sold it. I bought a Smittybilt and it lasted 7 years and never failed and at least twice it was used for hours at a time. I figured if it failed, it's much easier to take it to 4wheel parts and get it taken care of...it never failed so I don't know if that was the case. I've seen more failures with Warns than any other, but maybe people around me just have bad luck?
    Whatever you say. Iíll still by Warn.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    I've only used warn and never had any issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    I went WARN....used it twice, 6+ years old now, still works as it should. Buy once, and buy right. From my research back in the day, the only other company that has a fairly good reputation for quality on par with WARN is ComeUP, but they aren't cheap either.

Thats an honest info, thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to buy one

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
    Mr.Giant - '92 YJ, Flat Black
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR, Bright White

Which WARN winches did you have? What exactly happened when they crapped out on you? Got any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Which WARN winches did you have? What exactly happened when they crapped out on you? Got any pics?
    The first one I had fail was a 9500XD on my WJ. I was stuck in the mud, hooked the winch to a tree and had pulled myself about 8 feet when there was a metallic pop and the winch started making grinding noises. Warn said a gear failed and broke. I have a photo of it before I sent it back to warn for warranty work.

Second one was a 9500Ti. It would work fine every time I tested it but both times I actually needed it, after about 3 feet of pull, it would go into thermal shutdown. I sent it to warn, they said they fixed it. I got it back and then while out alone I got into some quicksand on the Red River in sw oklahoma. When I attempted to recover myself it pulled for about 15-20 ft then shut off and wouldnt go any farther. It went back to warn and they replaced "a circuit board" and I sold it and bought a Smittybilt.

Well that pretty much shut that response down

Allen B
    2018 JLU- Rubicon- Firecracker Red

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast