Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winch advice

Highly recommend Warn. You wonít regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John-JL View Post
    Smittybilt or Warn?

I read an article stating that Smittybilt "is the best winch for your money": https://4wdlife.com/smittybilt-winches-review
    There were charts and stuff, pretty convincing. But a friend of mine is a big fan of Warn winches. I value his opinion but I need more info
    Iíll beat Wayoflife to the punch on this. I think I know what heíd say.

A winch is safety equipment. If we were talking about parachutes, would you try to save money, or buy the cream of the crop?

Now, it is possible that you really donít need a winch. If not, donít buy one, at least until you can buy a good one. A Warn M8000 is still a good bet, itís much less expensive than a Zeon, and it is made in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Warn and smittybuilt shouldn't even be used in the same sentence.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I searched craiglist everyday for about 2 months and saw several used Warn winches that were decent deals and eventually found a brand new Warn 9.5XP-S for $900, it had some scratches from the previous owner trying to mount it but everything was still in the factory packaging. There were lots of winches that looked like they lived on the bumper of a mall crawler for a year or two & still had perfectly wound cable or rope.

I would take a used Warn over a new cheapo winch any day, the resale value (usually more than a new smittybilt) is enough proof that they are quality.

Go Warn.

Shadow's_Jeep
    2009 JKU Flame Red
    2019 JL Bikini
    Shadow's_Jeep

Fresh Catch

Super winch 10k exp

Used to love warn. Got fed up with shifty customer service. Went super winch. They were sold to Weston It the product is great or maybe try comeup.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    Used to love warn. Got fed up with shifty customer service. Went super winch. They were sold to Weston It the product is great or maybe try comeup.
    Hmmm. I've had nothing but excellent customer service from Warn. Whether it's been something as simple as replacement decals (my front decal turned brittle when I moved from Florida to Colorado... looked like broken glass) or even replacement mounting hardware when I lost a couple of nuts, they were more than happy to ship them out ASAP. I must admit though that I haven't had to initiate any warranty issues.

Been Around the Block Jeepers Creeper's Avatar
    Since Superwinch sold out, their quality went down the shitter in the devil's basement. Look at their reviews on Facebook and a couple other sites. Piles of reviews mentioning winches failing, motors going out, solenoids failing after a pull or two, clutches that won't engage, and rust inside brand new winches.

I was thinking heavily about an EXP 10-Si, but certainly not anymore. Warn for sure.

Hella Yella 2018 JLUR. V6. Auto. Uniden 880 cb. Vision X Dura-M460 cube lights.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
    Since Superwinch sold out, their quality went down the shitter in the devil's basement. Look at their reviews on Facebook and a couple other sites. Piles of reviews mentioning winches failing, motors going out, solenoids failing after a pull or two, clutches that won't engage, and rust inside brand new winches.

I was thinking heavily about an EXP 10-Si, but certainly not anymore. Warn for sure.

Hella Yella 2018 JLUR. V6. Auto. Uniden 880 cb. Vision X Dura-M460 cube lights.
    Wow. Donít subscribe to Facebook so I have never heard that. But how is it that an ipf 68 rated winch can get rust inside? All their electronics are potted military grade. Or supposed to be. I was under the impression Weston was going to retain all the same manufacturing procedures and tradesmen

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast