Winch advice

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All that maintenance can't compensate for sub-par components.

Or poor quality control. It's been my experience that not all china winches will fail. It's just that the odds one will are a LOT higher than a WARN. I would hope that nobody's winch would fail when they really needed just like I would hope that every parachute would open when needed. Like a parachute, I'll hedge my bets with a winch I have seen work time and time again for well over 20 years and that is WARN.

ddays v2

Yeah, right, whatever. Dumbass.

Get out in some desolate location by yourself and you start worrying about shit like equipment failures. If you're not equipping yourself with the best safety gear you're
putting yourself at risk. Barricade winch? nah.

Warn VR series is designed in the US and manufactured to their standards in China including the new VR EVO, and I’d still take a Warn VR over any other China made winch because at least Warn dictates how it’s made. Consistency is key and Warn has proven that. Every Sheriff, US Forest Department, and Colorado Parks and Wildlife that I’ve run into while wheeling or camping run Warn from what I’ve seen, not a coincidence I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

morricus

Or poor quality control. It's been my experience that not all china winches will fail. It's just that the odds one will are a LOT higher than a WARN. I would hope that nobody's winch would fail when they really needed just like I would hope that every parachute would open when needed. Like a parachute, I'll hedge my bets with a winch I have seen work time and time again for well over 20 years and that is WARN.

Mitigation of risk. Failures occur with every vendor, but the risk of failure is far lower with a WARN. I had an ancient WARN winch on my race car trailer I abused for years until it finally died. I can't say that was a failure, as it was abused and was likely older than me.

But I still bought the most Chinese of Chinese winches. Not because I'm not planning on getting a WARN, but because I'm still learning. I'm new to offroad and have many other items I need to invest in to get my Jeep where I want it. And I know this is a safety thing, I get that. But I'm still new enough that I'm not putting myself in crazy situations that are life and death. Is there still a risk, sure. But my F.R.O.M Ant 12.5 winch (not kidding, that is what its called) has worked all 5 times I've called upon it. That said, I know for a fact this winch will not last more than a few years. But in that time, I'll become experienced enough to invest in a WARN. I'm a newb, just thought I'd offer a newbs perspective.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Mitigation of risk. Failures occur with every vendor, but the risk of failure is far lower with a WARN. I had an ancient WARN winch on my race car trailer I abused for years until it finally died. I can't say that was a failure, as it was abused and was likely older than me.

But I still bought the most Chinese of Chinese winches. Not because I'm not planning on getting a WARN, but because I'm still learning. I'm new to offroad and have many other items I need to invest in to get my Jeep where I want it. And I know this is a safety thing, I get that. But I'm still new enough that I'm not putting myself in crazy situations that are life and death. Is there still a risk, sure. But my F.R.O.M Ant 12.5 winch (not kidding, that is what its called) has worked all 5 times I've called upon it. That said, I know for a fact this winch will not last more than a few years. But in that time, I'll become experienced enough to invest in a WARN. I'm a newb, just thought I'd offer a newbs perspective.

So if you are never putting yourself in a situation where you “need” a winch, why even buy one? Your entire logic in this post makes no sense.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

morricus

So if you are never putting yourself in a situation where you “need” a winch, why even buy one? Your entire logic in this post makes no sense.

They way its described by many is that they are in a life and death situation that without a functional winch, they are in great peril. I have gotten stuck in a few large mud holes, which I used my winch to get out of, mainly to get the experience of using the winch properly. The mud pit wasn't a danger to me. I wanted to become comfortable with how to use the thing. I'd rather have a shitty cheap winch to learn on, free up funds to support other important upgrades than go all in on the WARN for now. Its is crystal clear that the WARN is the nuclear option, by far the best option. There must be people out there that have used the same logic as I have, considering the market that exists for shit winches.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
They way its described by many is that they are in a life and death situation that without a functional winch, they are in great peril. I have gotten stuck in a few large mud holes, which I used my winch to get out of, mainly to get the experience of using the winch properly. The mud pit wasn't a danger to me. I wanted to become comfortable with how to use the thing. I'd rather have a shitty cheap winch to learn on, free up funds to support other important upgrades than go all in on the WARN for now. Its is crystal clear that the WARN is the nuclear option, by far the best option. There must be people out there that have used the same logic as I have, considering the market that exists for shit winches.

I did. I bought a cheapo winch which is why I try and talk other people out of it. I won’t do it ever again.

JeepJL

I’ve owned both, been let down by both. “Chinese” went over 5 years before needing to be smacked with a hammer to get the solenoid to work but still got me out that day. The warn powerplant 14 months old left me high and dry due to a “known issue”according to warn. Warn fixed it but still left me high and dry that day and without a winch for several weeks. Currently own a Zeon10s but it’s because I got it for $700 from 4wheelparts 12 days of Christmas 2 years ago with a rebate and like the look of that winch. So honestly I think it’s a luck of the draw. They both can be awesome and both can leave you high and dry. On the plus side the warn is a lot faster. But is a lot more money worth a faster speed?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

asmith1923

Having just installed the latest and greatest Smittybilt Gen 3, I can tell you it doesn’t come with any instructions or reference to any online. Or how to spool the line.

Oh and the best part was, on the bottom of the winch is a big ol red sticker saying MADE IN CHINA

Oh and it’s huge.

IMG_3231.JPGIMG_3229.JPGIMG_3230.JPGIMG_3236.JPG

Tony
19 JLUR Mojito!