Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Winch advice

  1. #31
    That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    2,279

    Winch advice

    Quote Originally Posted by abeggs View Post
    Well that pretty much shut that response down


    Allen B
    2018 JLU- Rubicon- Firecracker Red


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Well, if youíd rather have a Smittybuilt than Warn, but one. Just donít expect everyone to recommend them, here. Only one person so far, has not recommended Warn.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Last edited by notnalc68; 08-05-2019 at 04:30 AM.

  2. #32
    Meme King JTCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
    The first one I had fail was a 9500XD on my WJ. I was stuck in the mud, hooked the winch to a tree and had pulled myself about 8 feet when there was a metallic pop and the winch started making grinding noises. Warn said a gear failed and broke. I have a photo of it before I sent it back to warn for warranty work.

    Second one was a 9500Ti. It would work fine every time I tested it but both times I actually needed it, after about 3 feet of pull, it would go into thermal shutdown. I sent it to warn, they said they fixed it. I got it back and then while out alone I got into some quicksand on the Red River in sw oklahoma. When I attempted to recover myself it pulled for about 15-20 ft then shut off and wouldnt go any farther. It went back to warn and they replaced "a circuit board" and I sold it and bought a Smittybilt.
    That sucks for sure. When I bought my first Warn, I had to really search for people online that had had negative reviews. I wanted the best I could get regardless of cost because I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere. There was such a minority that had issues that I went with the Warn. Smittybilt on the other hand, had really bad reviews online as well as people I know or they had purchased a Smittybilt but never actually used it.

    Sorry you had issues with your Warns and I hope your Smittybilt works for you flawlessly.
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  3. #33
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    7,118
    Quote Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
    The first one I had fail was a 9500XD on my WJ. I was stuck in the mud, hooked the winch to a tree and had pulled myself about 8 feet when there was a metallic pop and the winch started making grinding noises. Warn said a gear failed and broke. I have a photo of it before I sent it back to warn for warranty work.


    Second one was a 9500Ti. It would work fine every time I tested it but both times I actually needed it, after about 3 feet of pull, it would go into thermal shutdown. I sent it to warn, they said they fixed it. I got it back and then while out alone I got into some quicksand on the Red River in sw oklahoma. When I attempted to recover myself it pulled for about 15-20 ft then shut off and wouldnt go any farther. It went back to warn and they replaced "a circuit board" and I sold it and bought a Smittybilt.
    I appreciate the reply. In the over 20 years of me doing this, I can't say that I've ever seen a WARN have issues like this let alone twice to the same guy. I have however personally seen plenty of Smittybilt and the like crap out time and time again. For me, I would still stick with WARN if only because of my experience over the years. Hope your Smittybilt holds out and I mean that sincerely.

  4. #34
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    7,118
    Quote Originally Posted by abeggs View Post
    Well that pretty much shut that response down
    LOL - thanks for reviving the thread. I'd been busy playing and totally forgot about it.

  5. #35
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    7
    If you need to use your winch, you may as well buy one that people trust and has been proven. IMO, winches arenít the place to skimp and try to save $$. My two cents


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  6. #36
    I bought a Barricade 9500 in December when I first bought my JLUR. I saw all the great reviews on WARN, and do not doubt the product. However I was buying tons of things fast so I could get out and off-road, and I didn't think I needed to spend all that dough on a winch. I bought wheels, tires, bumper, multiple straps, two 30,000lb satch blocks, shackles...blah blah blah. First time out was late December and snow and ice. Ended up having to pull a POS Sequoia up a long grade after he broke CV joint...SUCKED to say the least. Ruined everyones day and used the shit out of the winch. 4dr Sequoia weighs more than my Jeep. I have since used it every other time I have off roaded (13) since December. The winch has worked great. When and if it craps out...I will probably buy a WARN. That being said, there are other good products out there. I do heed all you very experienced Jeepers advice. I don't doubt what you say about WARN.

    IMO...decent products fail because of improper use and lack of maintenance. Every time I get home after using winch, I pull it all the way out, hook it to my lawn tractor and pull it up the driveway making sure it winds nice and even. I also keep it in free wheel when not using. I also use it once a month even if in my driveway. I lubricate the cable with WD40 and keep it covered. More than not people don't even read the owners manual. You would be surprised about what you are supposed to do to maintain your products.
    Last edited by BlueRubicon; 09-16-2019 at 04:11 PM.

  7. #37
    Been Around the Block ddays v2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Darlington, Pa
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRubicon View Post
    I bought a Barricade 9500 in December when I first bought my JLUR. I saw all the great reviews on WARN, and do not doubt the product. However I was buying tons of things fast so I could get out and off-road, and I didn't think I needed to spend all that dough on a winch. I bought wheels, tires, bumper, multiple straps, two 30,000lb satch blocks, shackles...blah blah blah. First time out was late December and snow and ice. Ended up having to pull a POS Sequoia up a long grade after he broke CV joint...SUCKED to say the least. Ruined everyones day and used the shit out of the winch. 4dr Sequoia weighs more than my Jeep. I have since used it every other time I have off roaded (13) since December. The winch has worked great. When and if it craps out...I will probably buy a WARN. That being said, there are other good products out there. I do heed all you very experienced Jeepers advice. I don't doubt what you say about WARN.

    IMO...decent products fail because of improper use and lack of maintenance. Every time I get home after using winch, I pull it all the way out, hook it to my lawn tractor and pull it up the driveway making sure it winds nice and even. I also keep it in free wheel when not using. I also use it once a month even if in my driveway. I lubricate the cable with WD40 and keep it covered. More than not people don't even read the owners manual. You would be surprised about what you are supposed to do to maintain your products.
    All that maintenance can't compensate for sub-par components.
    No one wants anyone to experience failure, but starting out with a brand that doesn't have the track record of Warn is starting behind.
    Others have said it here - a winch is a potential life saving device. Cheaper is not better.
    2014 JKU Money Pit on 37's
    2019 JLUR on 35's (so far)

  8. #38
    Whatever 🙄

  9. #39
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,227
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRubicon View Post
    I bought a Barricade 9500 in December when I first bought my JLUR. I saw all the great reviews on WARN, and do not doubt the product. However I was buying tons of things fast so I could get out and off-road, and I didn't think I needed to spend all that dough on a winch. I bought wheels, tires, bumper, multiple straps, two 30,000lb satch blocks, shackles...blah blah blah. First time out was late December and snow and ice. Ended up having to pull a POS Sequoia up a long grade after he broke CV joint...SUCKED to say the least. Ruined everyones day and used the shit out of the winch. 4dr Sequoia weighs more than my Jeep. I have since used it every other time I have off roaded (13) since December. The winch has worked great. When and if it craps out...I will probably buy a WARN. That being said, there are other good products out there. I do heed all you very experienced Jeepers advice. I don't doubt what you say about WARN.

    IMO...decent products fail because of improper use and lack of maintenance. Every time I get home after using winch, I pull it all the way out, hook it to my lawn tractor and pull it up the driveway making sure it winds nice and even. I also keep it in free wheel when not using. I also use it once a month even if in my driveway. I lubricate the cable with WD40 and keep it covered. More than not people don't even read the owners manual. You would be surprised about what you are supposed to do to maintain your products.
    What type of maintenance does a winch require? Iíve had shitty Chinese winches and they suck. Never worked when I needed. I now have a couple warns and have literally done nothing to them. They pull great every time.

    And did you say you pulled an SUV up a long grade? Maybe it wouldnít have been so tough if you used a snatch block that you bought.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  10. #40
    Meme King JTCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRubicon View Post
    I bought a Barricade 9500 in December when I first bought my JLUR. I saw all the great reviews on WARN, and do not doubt the product. However I was buying tons of things fast so I could get out and off-road, and I didn't think I needed to spend all that dough on a winch. I bought wheels, tires, bumper, multiple straps, two 30,000lb satch blocks, shackles...blah blah blah. First time out was late December and snow and ice. Ended up having to pull a POS Sequoia up a long grade after he broke CV joint...SUCKED to say the least. Ruined everyones day and used the shit out of the winch. 4dr Sequoia weighs more than my Jeep. I have since used it every other time I have off roaded (13) since December. The winch has worked great. When and if it craps out...I will probably buy a WARN. That being said, there are other good products out there. I do heed all you very experienced Jeepers advice. I don't doubt what you say about WARN.

    IMO...decent products fail because of improper use and lack of maintenance. Every time I get home after using winch, I pull it all the way out, hook it to my lawn tractor and pull it up the driveway making sure it winds nice and even. I also keep it in free wheel when not using. I also use it once a month even if in my driveway. I lubricate the cable with WD40 and keep it covered. More than not people don't even read the owners manual. You would be surprised about what you are supposed to do to maintain your products.
    Barricade huh? Well then....
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •