Winch advice

offcamber

I used to only buy Warn winches. The last two I had though crapped the bed when I needed them most. On the second one, Warn required me to pay shipping for it back to them for warranty work. I shipped it to them for warranty work and then when I got it back, I sold it. I bought a Smittybilt and it lasted 7 years and never failed and at least twice it was used for hours at a time. I figured if it failed, it's much easier to take it to 4wheel parts and get it taken care of...it never failed so I don't know if that was the case. I've seen more failures with Warns than any other, but maybe people around me just have bad luck?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I used to only buy Warn winches. The last two I had though crapped the bed when I needed them most. On the second one, Warn required me to pay shipping for it back to them for warranty work. I shipped it to them for warranty work and then when I got it back, I sold it. I bought a Smittybilt and it lasted 7 years and never failed and at least twice it was used for hours at a time. I figured if it failed, it's much easier to take it to 4wheel parts and get it taken care of...it never failed so I don't know if that was the case. I've seen more failures with Warns than any other, but maybe people around me just have bad luck?

Whatever you say. I’ll still by Warn.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

I went WARN....used it twice, 6+ years old now, still works as it should. Buy once, and buy right. From my research back in the day, the only other company that has a fairly good reputation for quality on par with WARN is ComeUP, but they aren't cheap either.

MrGiant

Thats an honest info, thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to buy one

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Which WARN winches did you have? What exactly happened when they crapped out on you? Got any pics?

offcamber

Which WARN winches did you have? What exactly happened when they crapped out on you? Got any pics?

The first one I had fail was a 9500XD on my WJ. I was stuck in the mud, hooked the winch to a tree and had pulled myself about 8 feet when there was a metallic pop and the winch started making grinding noises. Warn said a gear failed and broke. I have a photo of it before I sent it back to warn for warranty work.

winch1.jpg

Second one was a 9500Ti. It would work fine every time I tested it but both times I actually needed it, after about 3 feet of pull, it would go into thermal shutdown. I sent it to warn, they said they fixed it. I got it back and then while out alone I got into some quicksand on the Red River in sw oklahoma. When I attempted to recover myself it pulled for about 15-20 ft then shut off and wouldnt go any farther. It went back to warn and they replaced "a circuit board" and I sold it and bought a Smittybilt.

whatwreck.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
The first one I had fail was a 9500XD on my WJ. I was stuck in the mud, hooked the winch to a tree and had pulled myself about 8 feet when there was a metallic pop and the winch started making grinding noises. Warn said a gear failed and broke. I have a photo of it before I sent it back to warn for warranty work.

Second one was a 9500Ti. It would work fine every time I tested it but both times I actually needed it, after about 3 feet of pull, it would go into thermal shutdown. I sent it to warn, they said they fixed it. I got it back and then while out alone I got into some quicksand on the Red River in sw oklahoma. When I attempted to recover myself it pulled for about 15-20 ft then shut off and wouldnt go any farther. It went back to warn and they replaced "a circuit board" and I sold it and bought a Smittybilt.

That sucks for sure. When I bought my first Warn, I had to really search for people online that had had negative reviews. I wanted the best I could get regardless of cost because I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere. There was such a minority that had issues that I went with the Warn. Smittybilt on the other hand, had really bad reviews online as well as people I know or they had purchased a Smittybilt but never actually used it.

Sorry you had issues with your Warns and I hope your Smittybilt works for you flawlessly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I appreciate the reply. In the over 20 years of me doing this, I can't say that I've ever seen a WARN have issues like this let alone twice to the same guy. I have however personally seen plenty of Smittybilt and the like crap out time and time again. For me, I would still stick with WARN if only because of my experience over the years. Hope your Smittybilt holds out and I mean that sincerely.

I bought a Barricade 9500 in December when I first bought my JLUR. I saw all the great reviews on WARN, and do not doubt the product. However I was buying tons of things fast so I could get out and off-road, and I didn't think I needed to spend all that dough on a winch. I bought wheels, tires, bumper, multiple straps, two 30,000lb satch blocks, shackles...blah blah blah. First time out was late December and snow and ice. Ended up having to pull a POS Sequoia up a long grade after he broke CV joint...SUCKED to say the least. Ruined everyones day and used the shit out of the winch. 4dr Sequoia weighs more than my Jeep. I have since used it every other time I have off roaded (13) since December. The winch has worked great. When and if it craps out...I will probably buy a WARN. That being said, there are other good products out there. I do heed all you very experienced Jeepers advice. I don't doubt what you say about WARN.

IMO...decent products fail because of improper use and lack of maintenance. Every time I get home after using winch, I pull it all the way out, hook it to my lawn tractor and pull it up the driveway making sure it winds nice and even. I also keep it in free wheel when not using. I also use it once a month even if in my driveway. I lubricate the cable with WD40 and keep it covered. More than not people don't even read the owners manual. You would be surprised about what you are supposed to do to maintain your products.

Last edited:

ddays v2

I bought a Barricade 9500 in December when I first bought my JLUR. I saw all the great reviews on WARN, and do not doubt the product. However I was buying tons of things fast so I could get out and off-road, and I didn't think I needed to spend all that dough on a winch. I bought wheels, tires, bumper, multiple straps, two 30,000lb satch blocks, shackles...blah blah blah. First time out was late December and snow and ice. Ended up having to pull a POS Sequoia up a long grade after he broke CV joint...SUCKED to say the least. Ruined everyones day and used the shit out of the winch. 4dr Sequoia weighs more than my Jeep. I have since used it every other time I have off roaded (13) since December. The winch has worked great. When and if it craps out...I will probably buy a WARN. That being said, there are other good products out there. I do heed all you very experienced Jeepers advice. I don't doubt what you say about WARN.

IMO...decent products fail because of improper use and lack of maintenance. Every time I get home after using winch, I pull it all the way out, hook it to my lawn tractor and pull it up the driveway making sure it winds nice and even. I also keep it in free wheel when not using. I also use it once a month even if in my driveway. I lubricate the cable with WD40 and keep it covered. More than not people don't even read the owners manual. You would be surprised about what you are supposed to do to maintain your products.

All that maintenance can't compensate for sub-par components.
No one wants anyone to experience failure, but starting out with a brand that doesn't have the track record of Warn is starting behind.
Others have said it here - a winch is a potential life saving device. Cheaper is not better. :twocents:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

What type of maintenance does a winch require? I’ve had shitty Chinese winches and they suck. Never worked when I needed. I now have a couple warns and have literally done nothing to them. They pull great every time.

And did you say you pulled an SUV up a long grade? Maybe it wouldn’t have been so tough if you used a snatch block that you bought.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King

Barricade huh? Well then....