2019 Jeep JLU Rock Slider Install - Rockhard 4x4 (pic heavy)

VitaMeVas

Hey to everyone from NW Iowa. Tonight I installed the passenger side rock sliders from RockHard 4x4. They are the tubular Patriot series that are angled up. Cost $520 for the pair. In short, I had the exact same rock sliders on my 2010 JKU and really loved their durability and frame mounting. That said, they were a huge pain in the a$$ to install. When I traded in my JKU, I knew I'd probably go with RockHard 4x4 again for the JLU. I just received them a few days ago and they are very heavy, sturdy and easier to install than the ones from my JKU. They also don't bolt directly to the frame, but rather the pinch seem, body mounts, and welded floor pan braces. Now that it's all done, I think they are just as well done....but time will tell. I found the directions that came with the kit lacking in information, but I see that from most companies nowadays. Overall, I've very happy with them and thought I'd do a write up for anyone interested and mention any pitfalls you may have. I would also like to dedicate this installation to my 10 mm ratcheting wrench that was misplaced in the installation. May God rest its soul. Let's begin.

VitaMeVas

Let's begin.

First off, I received the 2 sliders and hardware well packaged. I printed off the installation pdf from the Rock Hard webpage. Here they are unboxed and laying atop a pile of crap in my shop.
fullsizeoutput_7a0.jpg
Also, here are a few pics of my Jeep (J1LL) with the OE Rubicon rock sliders prior to this modification. **compare to later pics after install**
fullsizeoutput_79b.jpgfullsizeoutput_7a2.jpgfullsizeoutput_79d.jpg

Step one: removal of OE Rubicon rock sliders uses a 10mm wrench to take off the 6 nuts attaching the slider to the pinch seam. Then there are 3 bolts attached through the welded floor pan brackets (I believe 13mm). These are easy, but the 3 body mount bolt are very difficult. Using an 18mm socket and a ton of elbow grease, I removed the last 3 body mount bolts. There was a lot of catching/squeaking/feeling like something was about to break during this. Many others have stated as well. Set aside the OE sliders and all hardware. NOTE: some people have chosen to reuse the OE hardware, but I was able to use all the provided hardware from RockHard 4x4.

Here is a picture of the OE slider with the pinch seam nuts removed and the welded floor pan bolt still in place. In the upper right you can see the body mount bolt with a large grey washer still in place. After all was removed, the pinch seam was naked.
fullsizeoutput_790.jpgfullsizeoutput_795.jpg

VitaMeVas

....continued....

Here's a pic of the slider laying on the floor ready to go up. It is very heavy/beefy and welds were great.
fullsizeoutput_79c.jpg
Here is half of the hardware that came with the kit (ie. enough to install the one side)
fullsizeoutput_79e.jpg
After trying to lift it into place so that the pinch seam bolts would go through their holes, I realized that the forward most pinch seam hole needed to be enlarged. I enlarged it to 7/16" and it slide right back into place. RockHard 4x4's directions did suggest doing this also. I then placed the 2 long backing plates on the rear and middle seam attachments and 2 small plates on the front seam attachment. Then 6 nuts were finger tightened to keep from dropping the thing on my head. I forget what size nuts these were. Next, the 3 bolts/washers were hand tightened into the floor pan brackets. Lastly the 3 body mount bolts from RockHard 4x4 were 'persuaded' into place. The rear two bolts used a large black machined washer while the front bolt used a smaller circumference machined washer. It helped to tap the bolts up through some rubber backing and press upward while tightening with a hand ratchet (19mm socket). It took several attempts to get these to catch and eventually tighten up. I then tightened the pinch seam, floor pan (13mm) and body mount bolts a little tighter to discourage any 'binding'. Lastly, I tightened the pinch seam, floor pan, and body mount bolts quite tightly.
Here are pictures of the rear, middle, and front areas all completely tightened, but not torqued. If you look closely, you can see that the middle and rear pinch seam nuts sandwich with a long backing plate, while the front nuts use 2 smaller backing plates. There are a few protrusions in the front pinch seam that necessitate this.
Oee3m7mMQ0Oar+D1chWOtg.jpgs+zbkItZRuyvc+NY4uSR7w.jpgVrsOJs7ISI6idaO8SQ6fXw.jpg
You should be able to see all the hardware mentioned above.

Last edited:

VitaMeVas

...almost done.....with one side....

I torqued the body mount bolts to 80 ft lbs (I read that somewhere) and tightened the rest of bolts VERY tight. It won't be coming off anytime soon.
So here are some comparison pictures of the Jeep to contrast with the pictures earlier in this thread. I do really like how the pinch seam is now completely hidden/protected.
fullsizeoutput_792.jpgfullsizeoutput_79f.jpgfullsizeoutput_791.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the installation and though it took me 1-2 hours to get it right, I'm sure the drivers side will go much faster tomorrow. The sliders look well built and allow me easy access to the roof top. Also, will give my 5 yr old a better step to get into his car seat. I hope this helps someone and welcome to RockHard 4x4 as one of our sponsors. I also just put on some EVO skid plates and the front grill mount camera kit from JL Taser, so my budget is blown for awhile. Happy Jeeping to all!!!

VitaMeVas

Craftsman torque wrenches SUCK!!!

Last night I thought I'd do the drivers side RockHard 4x4 slider. It should be easy and go fast because I figured out all the pitfalls on the passenger side. Right?!? I got the OE slider off and the RockHard 4x4 slider on with NO problems. I was on the last step of torquing the 3 body mount bolts to 80 ft lbs. Apparently my 2 yr old Craftsman electronic 1/2" wrench had other plans. It wouldn't beep and the numbers were all over the place. It felt like I was pulling WAY too hard and BAM....the bolt snapped leaving the threaded part up inside the Jeep.
ZOfNck3QRV6JDloKbmlk1g.jpgP913WnImR+mpiR+iG8fqcA.jpg
My initial thought was that RockHard 4x4 had sent out some cheap bolts, but over the next few hours it became evident that my torque wrench was malfunctioning. And before you ask....I have nerve damage in both of my hands and can't always tell how hard I'm pulling. I've broken a lot of bolts over the years and asked my wife for a 'nice' torque wrench a few years ago. She got me a 1/2" Craftsman electronic one capable of 20-250 ft lbs.
I was so pissed I thought I'd throw up. Just looking up and seeing that bolt tucked up past the body mount made me sick.
kVPR%JTYQ4CvREMC2jUVkg.jpg
And did I mention it was midnight?

VitaMeVas

Bring it on, you ba$tard!!

So the best my brain could come up with was to try that set of 'easy outs' that I keep for just such as emergency. I pulled off the RockHard slider and removed all the hardware. Next I jacked up the Jeep chassis to separate it from the frame enough to get the body mount 'thingy' out of the way. Then I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bolt. It took about 4 rounds of resharpening my drill bits (and 30 min of frustration) to finish the job, but at last the 'easy out' spun the threaded part out fairly easy.
ouvqEQfWR26Zee2wj5bVhg.jpgTx0DEfu6Rdq4sL7aOP5dJA.jpg
Back went the body mount 'thingy' and the RockHard sliders flew back on. I found my 'old' torque wrench and used the OE body mount bolts. Got everything buttoned up and made it to bed by 2 am. Why do the simplest of jobs end in misery? Must just be me/my luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality/reliable/warrantied torque wrench? My craftsman only had a 90 day warranty since it was 'electronic'. Lifetime warranties don't mean much anymore.
For what it's worth, I do like the RockHard 4x4 Patriot Series Sliders. They are pretty heavy.....especially if you take them on/off several times.

JTCO

Meme King
Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality/reliable/warrantied torque wrench?

At least you got it out. As far as a good torque wrench, I would definitely recommend this Tekton one: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?1943-RECOMMENDED-BUY-TEKTON-1-2-Inch-Drive-Click-Torque-Wrench . And if you purchase it through that link, it helps support the forum. I've been in automotive about 20 years, and for a decent priced torque wrench, this one is pretty damn good IMO and seems calibrated just fine. Make sure you get the 1/2" drive. As far as warranty: Certified frustration-free, and Warranty Description: Always Guaranteed: support@tekton.com

Last edited:

mike2019

So the best my brain could come up with was to try that set of 'easy outs' that I keep for just such as emergency. I pulled off the RockHard slider and removed all the hardware. Next I jacked up the Jeep chassis to separate it from the frame enough to get the body mount 'thingy' out of the way. Then I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bolt. It took about 4 rounds of resharpening my drill bits (and 30 min of frustration) to finish the job, but at last the 'easy out' spun the threaded part out fairly easy.
View attachment 12387View attachment 12388
Back went the body mount 'thingy' and the RockHard sliders flew back on. I found my 'old' torque wrench and used the OE body mount bolts. Got everything buttoned up and made it to bed by 2 am. Why do the simplest of jobs end in misery? Must just be me/my luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality/reliable/warrantied torque wrench? My craftsman only had a 90 day warranty since it was 'electronic'. Lifetime warranties don't mean much anymore.
For what it's worth, I do like the RockHard 4x4 Patriot Series Sliders. They are pretty heavy.....especially if you take them on/off several times.
Awesome recovery on that snapped bolt. I think that went well in your favor. If it was me it would not have worked and it would take 3 days, lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

VitaMeVas

Sold!!

At least you got it out. As far as a good torque wrench, I would definitely recommend this Tekton one: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?1943-RECOMMENDED-BUY-TEKTON-1-2-Inch-Drive-Click-Torque-Wrench . And if you purchase it through that link, it helps support the forum. I've been in automotive about 20 years, and for a decent priced torque wrench, this one is pretty damn good IMO and seems calibrated just fine. Make sure you get the 1/2" drive. As far as warranty: Certified frustration-free, and Warranty Description: Always Guaranteed: support@tekton.com

DONE. Bought all 3 sizes through the Amazon link you gave me. Support the Forum - Check! Thanks for the advice.

VitaMeVas

Tekton

Ok, got mine today. So....is there a secret handshake or something for the club? Looks like a pretty hefty tool.

Attachments

• 2644CD6C-27D9-4644-B543-0931905A7A1E.jpg
    2644CD6C-27D9-4644-B543-0931905A7A1E.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 96

Foggy47

Nice job on getting that bolt out. I really like the look of those RockHard Sliders. I am considering them with the flat step.....as I think the flatter step would be good for our needs.