Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Jeep JLU Rock Slider Install - Rockhard 4x4 (pic heavy)

Bring it on, you ba$tard!!

So the best my brain could come up with was to try that set of 'easy outs' that I keep for just such as emergency. I pulled off the RockHard slider and removed all the hardware. Next I jacked up the Jeep chassis to separate it from the frame enough to get the body mount 'thingy' out of the way. Then I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bolt. It took about 4 rounds of resharpening my drill bits (and 30 min of frustration) to finish the job, but at last the 'easy out' spun the threaded part out fairly easy.
    ouvqEQfWR26Zee2wj5bVhg.jpgTx0DEfu6Rdq4sL7aOP5dJA.jpg
    Back went the body mount 'thingy' and the RockHard sliders flew back on. I found my 'old' torque wrench and used the OE body mount bolts. Got everything buttoned up and made it to bed by 2 am. Why do the simplest of jobs end in misery? Must just be me/my luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality/reliable/warrantied torque wrench? My craftsman only had a 90 day warranty since it was 'electronic'. Lifetime warranties don't mean much anymore.
    For what it's worth, I do like the RockHard 4x4 Patriot Series Sliders. They are pretty heavy.....especially if you take them on/off several times.
    VitaMeVas

Sent with Etch-a-sketch using twisty knobs

2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Granite Crystal Metallic
    JL Tazer Mini with JL Tazer Front Grill Camera Kit
    Rancho Front Diff & Rear Lower CA Skids
    EVO Protek 3.6 Engine/Trans, Exhaust Loop, & FAD Skids
    RockHard 4x4 Patriot Series Tubular Rock Sliders
    CoolTech LLC Tailgate Antenna Kit with Cobra 75
    Dominion Offroad Stealth Hi-Lift Jack Interior Mount

Quote Originally Posted by VitaMeVas View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality/reliable/warrantied torque wrench?

At least you got it out. As far as a good torque wrench, I would definitely recommend this Tekton one: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...-Torque-Wrench . And if you purchase it through that link, it helps support the forum. I've been in automotive about 20 years, and for a decent priced torque wrench, this one is pretty damn good IMO and seems calibrated just fine. Make sure you get the 1/2" drive. As far as warranty: Certified frustration-free, and Warranty Description: Always Guaranteed: support@tekton.com
    Last edited by JTCO; 07-12-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    So the best my brain could come up with was to try that set of 'easy outs' that I keep for just such as emergency. I pulled off the RockHard slider and removed all the hardware. Next I jacked up the Jeep chassis to separate it from the frame enough to get the body mount 'thingy' out of the way. Then I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bolt. It took about 4 rounds of resharpening my drill bits (and 30 min of frustration) to finish the job, but at last the 'easy out' spun the threaded part out fairly easy.
    ouvqEQfWR26Zee2wj5bVhg.jpgTx0DEfu6Rdq4sL7aOP5dJA.jpg
    Back went the body mount 'thingy' and the RockHard sliders flew back on. I found my 'old' torque wrench and used the OE body mount bolts. Got everything buttoned up and made it to bed by 2 am. Why do the simplest of jobs end in misery? Must just be me/my luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality/reliable/warrantied torque wrench? My craftsman only had a 90 day warranty since it was 'electronic'. Lifetime warranties don't mean much anymore.
    For what it's worth, I do like the RockHard 4x4 Patriot Series Sliders. They are pretty heavy.....especially if you take them on/off several times.
    Awesome recovery on that snapped bolt. I think that went well in your favor. If it was me it would not have worked and it would take 3 days, lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sold!!

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    At least you got it out. As far as a good torque wrench, I would definitely recommend this Tekton one: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...-Torque-Wrench . And if you purchase it through that link, it helps support the forum. I've been in automotive about 20 years, and for a decent priced torque wrench, this one is pretty damn good IMO and seems calibrated just fine. Make sure you get the 1/2" drive. As far as warranty: Certified frustration-free, and Warranty Description: Always Guaranteed: support@tekton.com
    DONE. Bought all 3 sizes through the Amazon link you gave me. Support the Forum - Check! Thanks for the advice.
    VitaMeVas

Always a victory to remove a broken bolt. 🍻

Tekton

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Ok, got mine today. So....is there a secret handshake or something for the club? Looks like a pretty hefty tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VitaMeVas

Ok, got mine today. So....is there a secret handshake or something for the club? Looks like a pretty hefty tool.
    Awesome. I really think you'll find it comfortable to use.
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    Nice job on getting that bolt out. I really like the look of those RockHard Sliders. I am considering them with the flat step.....as I think the flatter step would be good for our needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12