Thread: Steering clunk

Caught the Bug

Steering clunk

I plan on upgrading to the synergy hd tie rod, and drag link. My wife's JLUR has a jks 2.5 lift with 37x12.5r17 tires. When I drove it for breakfast this morning I heard, and felt a clunk in the steering when it turns right. When I got home she moved the steering wheel back, and forth while I felt the tie rod, and drag link ends. I felt some slight play in the pitman arm end, and the passenger tire rod end but nothing big. The popping sounds like it's farther up in the steering. Any ideas what it could be. I'm hoping it's just the drag link end at the pitman arm.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassjlu View Post
    I plan on upgrading to the synergy hd tie rod, and drag link. My wife's JLUR has a jks 2.5 lift with 37x12.5r17 tires. When I drove it for breakfast this morning I heard, and felt a clunk in the steering when it turns right. When I got home she moved the steering wheel back, and forth while I felt the tie rod, and drag link ends. I felt some slight play in the pitman arm end, and the passenger tire rod end but nothing big. The popping sounds like it's farther up in the steering. Any ideas what it could be. I'm hoping it's just the drag link end at the pitman arm.
    Not sure if this will help. At one point I had a clunk in the front end, thought it was steering as it only happened when turning into my driveway which has a slight bump. Turned out it was the drivers side lower shock bolt. It was just loose enough to left the shock shift up and down causing the clunk. Hope that is all you’re experiencing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

If I could guess, it could be something as simple as your sway bar links. I've seen this a lot. However, being that it's associated with steering, I would have to say you should check the torque on your track bar bolts. That's also common.

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscoHR View Post
    Not sure if this will help. At one point I had a clunk in the front end, thought it was steering as it only happened when turning into my driveway which has a slight bump. Turned out it was the drivers side lower shock bolt. It was just loose enough to left the shock shift up and down causing the clunk. Hope that is all you’re experiencing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    If I could guess, it could be something as simple as your sway bar links. I've seen this a lot. However, being that it's associated with steering, I would have to say you should check the torque on your track bar bolts. That's also common.

Thank you! When I get home from work I'll check the track bar bolts, and the shock bolts along with the other steering parts.

Caught the Bug
    Thanks everyone for the help. The track bar bolts were a little loose, but I did have a lower right shock bolt that was 2 turns loose. I'll keep an eye on it going forward. No clunks now!

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassjlu View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help. The track bar bolts were a little loose, but I did have a lower right shock bolt that was 2 turns loose. I'll keep an eye on it going forward. No clunks now!
    Glad you were able to track it down!