EVO JL Coilover Discussion Thread

JL_John

I've had at least 20 sets of control arms and in my opinion pinch bolts should have been on all of them.
Again that's just my opinion.
Especially if you have a coilover. I just put UD 60s on my Jeep and it made it a lot easier for me.View attachment 15312

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Interesting. I have UD60s and coilovers and had an issue with the shock bolt hitting the pinch bolt. I had to flip the arms and put the pinch bolt facing down until I relocated the shock bracket outboard. Did you have issues with clearance?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Deezus

Interesting. I have UD60s and coilovers and had an issue with the shock bolt hitting the pinch bolt. I had to flip the arms and put the pinch bolt facing down until I relocated the shock bracket outboard. Did you have issues with clearance?

Yes I did. I left the arms the way they were and took it down to my guy and had some brackets relocated it's a real tight fit front and back did you find that as well?

JL_John

Have you figured out what the caster is on these ud60?
My guy said he measured right off the ball joint and it was 12 caster.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Not sure what or how he measured that. I run 6-6.5 with hydro assist and it drives great. That’s measured off the flat spot on top of the knuckle and well as the alignment shop.

Deezus

Not sure what or how he measured that. I run 6-6.5 with hydro assist and it drives great. That’s measured off the flat spot on top of the knuckle and well as the alignment shop.

That's what I thought.
I did notice though that my upper control arm brackets on the front axle are off by an inch meaning one's forward of the other one inch.
How are yours?

JL_John

That's what I thought.
I did notice though that my upper control arm brackets on the front axle are off by an inch meaning one's forward of the other one inch.
How are yours?

Everything seems square. Only issue I had was clearance with the lower shock mount and the pinch bolts on the arms.

Deezus

Everything seems square. Only issue I had was clearance with the lower shock mount and the pinch bolts on the arms.

Me too I actually had to have my guy make some new ones now it works perfect, almost.
Only issue I'm having now is that the JL pitman arm is a bigger hole than the JK one and you can only use a JK drag link. I might have a friend make me one though.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Me too I actually had to have my guy make some new ones now it works perfect, almost.
Only issue I'm having now is that the JL pitman arm is a bigger hole than the JK one and you can only use a JK drag link. I might have a friend make me one though.

Maybe you can use a Synergy JK DL (p/n 8000-01), and replace the Synergy JK Pitman Arm TRE (p/n 4139-L) with a Synergy JL Pitman Arm TRE (p/n 4162-L).

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I had posted this in my build thread some time ago, but it would be nice to have it here as well. These are the coils that come standard with the EVO bolt-on coilovers.

FRONT
20190626_185934_copy_1280x960.jpg
20190626_235827_copy_1280x960.jpg

REAR
20190627_135435_copy_1280x960.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Some good info provided by 13_gecko_rubi:

Depends what the secondary spring is so need to know both springs to calculate the active spring rate until the secondary is engaged.

To give you an idea.... The factory spring rate is around 120 lb/in.

If you have 300/300 springs, you active spring rate is 150 in/lb until secondary is engaged.

To find you active spring rate this is the formula:

(Top rate * bottom rate)/(top rate + bottom rate)

250/250 = (250*250)/(250+250) = 125
250/500 = (250*500)/(250+500) = 167

Once u hit the secondary stop then your spring rate is whatever the bottom spring is. If you get too far apart in springs it can be a nasty transition. Thinking the 250/500 above. Running along at 167 then when secondary hits, it jumps to 500. That's a nasty transition.

Again remember, factory is 120ish. Even most lift companies only go into the 130-150 tops range. Many folks WAY OVERSPRING coilovers.

Sent via....

Exodus Jeeps

Advertiser
Supporter
That's what I thought.
How are yours?

Just catching up on this. FYI we just tried installing a UD60 front axle and found that the upper control arm mounts weren’t positioned the same, but that was just part of the problem. Even if we extended one control arm an extra 1.75” to get them to bolt up without binding, it was impossible to dial in any reasonable amount of caster and have a pinion angle that would work. We contacted Premier and had a conference call with Spicer, who then decided to pull all the inventory from Premiers warehouses. A replacement showed up yesterday directly from Spicer but we haven’t inspected it yet to see if it’s good.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Just catching up on this. FYI we just tried installing a UD60 front axle and found that the upper control arm mounts weren’t positioned the same, but that was just part of the problem. Even if we extended one control arm an extra 1.75” to get them to bolt up without binding, it was impossible to dial in any reasonable amount of caster and have a pinion angle that would work. We contacted Premier and had a conference call with Spicer, who then decided to pull all the inventory from Premiers warehouses. A replacement showed up yesterday directly from Spicer but we haven’t inspected it yet to see if it’s good.

So has this been an ongoing design flaw or a recent QC problem?

Exodus Jeeps

Advertiser
Supporter
So has this been an ongoing design flaw or a recent QC problem?

I don’t think it’s an ongoing problem but it sounds like a jig got out of alignment if more than one was built that way. QC should’ve caught it though. What’s sad is there are a lot of “shops” out there that don’t know their ass from a whole in the ground and likely bolted a lot of these in without knowing any difference.

Deezus

I'm just catching up on this too I called the place where I bought my axle they got in touch with Dana Spicer and Dana Spicer is sent me out a new axle should be here on Wednesday. Now this makes a lot more sense that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

Deezus

Have you inspected the axle yet what were your findings?

Last edited:

Exodus Jeeps

Advertiser
Supporter
Have you inspected the axle yet what were your findings?

Nothing more than what was already mentioned. Upper mounts were lined up and the pinion-caster angle relationship was way off. It’s good that Spicer is correcting all this but I doubt there’s any real way of knowing how many were built like that. Knowing how many shady shops are out there, I bet there’s a lot of guys driving around that don’t even know they have a dicked up axle lol. I don’t know if I was the first person to report it or not, but I know the next day I was informed the replacement would be coming directly from Spicer and not Premier. Premier had to send all their inventory back to Spicer as well. Sadly it sounds like a lot of axles or at least the housings, are headed to scrap.