EVO JL Coilover Discussion Thread

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
If I'm reading this right, then he was installing the dual battery tray this weekend, and after removing stock components he discovered this. It looks like it's the OE support for the small OE second battery that was rubbing on the shock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm reading this right, then he was installing the dual battery tray this weekend, and after removing stock components he discovered this. It looks like it's the OE support for the small OE second battery that was rubbing on the shock.

Sorry, JTCO just pointed that out to me as well. Guess I needed to slow down a bit :doh:

tonygiotta

Correct, it had absolutely nothing to do with the new tray, installing the tray only led to the discovery. In fact, I think the new tray actually provides additional underside clearance as it is perfectly flat on the bottom. For clarification, this is the support for the main battery, the secondary battery hangs just behind the EVO bracket in a little cubby bolted to the bottom of the stock battery tray. Also, I don't believe movement of the body/isolators has anything to do with it either as the EVO bracket would effectively protect the shock head from those types of movements. I believe it is actually the rotation of the shock head that causes the interference.

Here's what appears to be happening... Sitting static at ride height, the top of the EVO bracket just barely touches the bottom of the battery tray support (which is part of the body). When the coilover is straight up and down, there is little to no contact as the radius of the shock head is the same height as the bracket. The shock head however is not a perfect circle, in fact I'd describe it as trapezoidal with a rounded off top. So, as the shock compresses and the head rotates forward due to the travel path of the control arm, the effective radius of the shock head gets larger. This causes the shock head to protrude above the bracket, thus scraping on the bottom of the battery tray support. I'll mention too that this is pretty much from daily driving, my Jeep has sadly only been off road once so far, and it was a tame trail at that. No extreme articulation or anything.

I'm not looking to play the blame game here. I'm not pissed off. That is not the point of this post, please don't be so defensive. I think this issue was caused by EVO trying to squeeze every last bit of travel out of this set-up, and I commend them for doing so. After all, that is what we're all after. As I mentioned, I have an early kit. There were a few other clearance issues I talked to Andrew about during my install that he said would be addressed in the CAD design. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has had this problem, if it has possibly been addressed with a minor design adjustment, or if I just have an odd-ball JL...

RLW007

Wanting a softer ride with Coilovers

I just installed EVO/King Coilovers and want the street ride to be a bit softer. I loved the ride of the plush ride EVO coils and would like the coilover ride to be similar. Is there a way to accomplish this and maintain my current ride height. I have the compression adjusters and they are set to soft

TheGrendel

I just installed EVO/King Coilovers and want the street ride to be a bit softer. I loved the ride of the plush ride EVO coils and would like the coilover ride to be similar. Is there a way to accomplish this and maintain my current ride height. I have the compression adjusters and they are set to soft

you'll likely have to play around with different spring rates to get the ride you want. that's the beauty and difficulty of Coilovers. they take work to get right especially since everyone's modded Jeep ends up differently.

talk to Evo first and see what they say on the coil rates. if they can't get your sorted, then hit up Accutune Offroad. those guys will be able to help you out for sure. they even do a spring swap deal.

RLW007

you'll likely have to play around with different spring rates to get the ride you want. that's the beauty and difficulty of Coilovers. they take work to get right especially since everyone's modded Jeep ends up differently.

talk to Evo first and see what they say on the coil rates. if they can't get your sorted, then hit up Accutune Offroad. those guys will be able to help you out for sure. they even do a spring swap deal.

Thank you for your assistance and ideas. I adjusted the secondary coil nut to 1 1/4”, set the shocks to 5, ran 4 miles on a dirt road and the ride is so much better. Looks like its a work in progress. Thanks again

Deezus

Thank you for your assistance and ideas. I adjusted the secondary coil nut to 1 1/4”, set the shocks to 5, ran 4 miles on a dirt road and the ride is so much better. Looks like its a work in progress. Thanks again
It will be a process of you finding the best ride quality also the kits going to be broke in also you want to make sure that their charged properly as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Deezus

I know I'll. I've same set up on my JK. What about brake lines? Do I have to get a longer one like for JK???
No. I'm using the stock ones.
I just found a set of four brake lines at the same exact length as my stock JL ones I'm not sure if they came with this coilover kit or the one for my JK and I never used them.
I'm hoping I'll be able to use them on my JL just to replace them they're the exact same length as my JL stock ones.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

FL RUBI

Can anyone of you guys with EVO Coilovers post a pictures how did you secure King's remote reservoirs? Did you receive some hardware with kit which I'm missing?
Thanks

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Can anyone of you guys with EVO Coilovers post a pictures how did you secure King's remote reservoirs? Did you receive some hardware with kit which I'm missing?
Thanks

Front :

Screenshot_20200324-112857_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20200324-112918_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

Rear:

Screenshot_20200324-113024_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

There should be 1 bracket and 1 hose clamp for each front, and 2 L brackets with two hose clamps for each rear.

FL RUBI

another question for you guys runnig EVO LCA

I'm finishing EVO high clearance LCA with King coilovers and I did receive a rear track bar relocation bracket for no relocation bracket for front? I'm still waiting for front Prorock44 housing and I'm not sure if I should order some front track bar relocation bracket for it? Thanks for your help.

Deezus

I'm finishing EVO high clearance LCA with King coilovers and I did receive a rear track bar relocation bracket for no relocation bracket for front? I'm still waiting for front Prorock44 housing and I'm not sure if I should order some front track bar relocation bracket for it? Thanks for your help.
At this point you won't need one for the front. What you're looking for is to have your drag link and your track bar with the same geometry.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The Evo kit doesn't come with a front track bar relocation bracket. Assuming you mean a raised front track bar bracket, I haven't seen anybody running one yet.

FL RUBI

You guys are awesome! Thanks for quick response! One more question about LCA.

I just realize that lower control arms I received from EVO are w/o pinch seam as on pic#1. Upper arms are with pinch seam. Instructions are with pinch seam as on pic#2. Also I received hardware for pinch on all arms (8).
Arms I received pic#1. So now if I want to adjust length, I've to unbolt and remove arm out and turn Johnny joint correct? I can't do it with arms installed. I checked Eddie's video and all his control arms are with pinch seam. Any thoughts?ATTACH=CONFIG]15289[/ATTACH]20200329_130025.jpg

Attachments

• 20200329_164934.jpg
    20200329_164934.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: