Tow hitch

Schroonguy

Just retired and bought a new JL Sahara. I love it. I would like to tow a 19 ft boat short distances ie 3 to 4 miles tops. Was just quoted $1244 from the dealer for parts and labor. That is for receiver, wiring and labor, labor being $688. Must be a better way. Any suggestions?

Schroonguy

GolemJL

Thanks Tallguy. How much is there to the wiring part? Vids I’ve seen on YT show guys tearing apart the interior and one even removing rivets of front passenger fender to get to the battery connection.

The hitch itself is stupid easy. 2 bolts remove a factory spacer then 4 bolts on the hitch, done. The wiring on the other hand SUCKS IF you are doing the Mopar 7 pin harness. I hear the 4 pin is very easy and cheap. I’m a electrician and have been working with tools all my life and it took me over 8 hours to do the full install. I will say 3 hours of that was trouble shooting bad factory wiring.

YES you will remove ALL the plastic on the passenger side, remove the right tail light, spend hours on your knees and back, swear a lot at yourself for not buying one with the option already on it, be very frustrated that you didn’t buy the rivet tool. BUT for $90 to $100 a hour while you drink a few beers and hopefully enjoy working on your Jeep you can ask yourself if money or time is more important.

Personally I don’t pay people for stuff I can do. But that means I bleed and swear a lot and the wife gets to laugh at me ALL THE TIME.