2018 JLU vs 2010 JKU Cargo Space

Jeeeep

Bought my JLU Dec 2018 and took a road trip 3 days later. When I packed I had to rearrange how I packed because items did not fit the same as in the JK.

Finally got around to taking a few measurements and sure enough, the JLU has less usable cargo space then the JKU.

The floor depth loses 1-1.5" floor to top of the rear door (closed) because the rear seat is further back and leaned further back. Doesn't seam like much until you put a suitcase in on it's long side and it doesn't fit (fits in the JKU).

The amount of lost space between the roll bars was more than I thought it would be...the amount of useless space between the roll bar and the windows :doh:

Don't understand the roll bar design other than possibly thin material and the need to provide the strength thru the square beam - "tripod" design

The width of the floor space because of all the "decorative" panels...loss of 4"! 4" matter! (yep, that's what she said) , panels look nice, but I'd rather have the useable space.

JL_CargoSpace.jpg

Plan now is to remove the panels off the roll bar, the upper panels (40.75") take up too much space - hoping there's no wiring behind them.

Going to research the panels on the sides and see what's behind them before I start taking it out.

hey FCA... what happened to all that extra SPACE!! a Jeeper needs cargo space! Not rear seat space, nobody sits there anyway??

Need going out to the trails space, not going to the mall space :doh::doh::doh:

Ok, rant over, maybe I should sell it before it pisses me off more :thinking: :cheesy:

JTCO

Meme King
First world problems. You should just buy another JK and do a cage swap into your JL.

13_gecko_rubi

Bought my JLU Dec 2018 and took a road trip 3 days later. When I packed I had to rearrange how I packed because items did not fit the same as in the JK.

Finally got around to taking a few measurements and sure enough, the JLU has less usable cargo space then the JKU.

The floor depth loses 1-1.5" floor to top of the rear door (closed) because the rear seat is further back and leaned further back. Doesn't seam like much until you put a suitcase in on it's long side and it doesn't fit (fits in the JKU).

The amount of lost space between the roll bars was more than I thought it would be...the amount of useless space between the roll bar and the windows :doh:

Don't understand the roll bar design other than possibly thin material and the need to provide the strength thru the square beam - "tripod" design

The width of the floor space because of all the "decorative" panels...loss of 4"! 4" matter! (yep, that's what she said) , panels look nice, but I'd rather have the useable space.

View attachment 12046

Plan now is to remove the panels off the roll bar, the upper panels (40.75") take up too much space - hoping there's no wiring behind them.

Going to research the panels on the sides and see what's behind them before I start taking it out.

hey FCA... what happened to all that extra SPACE!! a Jeeper needs cargo space! Not rear seat space, nobody sits there anyway??

Need going out to the trails space, not going to the mall space :doh::doh::doh:

Ok, rant over, maybe I should sell it before it pisses me off more :thinking: :cheesy:
There is wiring behind the panels. And you aren't gonna gain that much space. U must have had a newer JK. My JK sub sticks out of that side panel a good 8+"

Sent via....