JL JOURNAL : EVO JL Coilover Suspension Installation - S#!T JUST GOT REAL / PART 2

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. Were the rear speed bump stops addressed? Or just the fronts?

We just installed air bumps up front.

One thing I just remembered which I wanted to ask before.....what about air bumps on the rear axle? Any possibility or is there just no use for it because of specific valving of the rear COs? Normally the rear suspension tends to compress more on fast bumps, at least I think so when considering vehicle dynamics and experienced it on my YJ and mtbs

I would definitely be nice if we could have installed air bumps in the rear and for the reason you stated. Hopefully soon in the future.

Usually not with stock axles. Can French the frame with wider axles and put them in but not usually with stock axles.

IIRC JL Rubicon axles are only 0.5" shorter than full width axles, 68.0" vs 68.5". Maybe something will be coming coming down the pike?

What doubletapdaddy said, the Rubicon axles are essentially full width now and I would imagine that it could be done. It's something we want to do eventually. Doing the fronts was just super easy to do while we were at things.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you but I really dont understand what you mean....the translator does not have a better translation for "french" than my grey cells [emoji28] not even in context

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

LOL - "frenching" in a frame refers to cutting a notch out of it on one side and then welding in something else so that it sits part way in the frame itself. In the case of an air bump, you would weld in a tube so that only half of it would stick out of the frame and that would allow you to install the air bump in it. This allows the frame to still be strong and allow you to run an air bump without robbing you of clearance next to your tires.

MrGiant

LOL - "frenching" in a frame refers to cutting a notch out of it on one side and then welding in something else so that it sits part way in the frame itself. In the case of an air bump, you would weld in a tube so that only half of it would stick out of the frame and that would allow you to install the air bump in it. This allows the frame to still be strong and allow you to run an air bump without robbing you of clearance next to your tires.
LOL great I could give you a little laugh. Thank you for the explanation, Eddie! I have seen this kind of install before but was not used to this phrase. Maybe translation tools need to be improved slightly[emoji16].
its a cool thing to build that in. I am looking forward to see air bumps installed in the rear, no matter how its done exactly

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR