Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: AC cooling performance

  1. #1
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    76

    AC cooling performance

    Now that temps have cracked 150,000 degrees celcius, I've been noticing while driving at highway speed with AC running pretty strong that occasionally I'll get heat blowing through the floor vents, but still cold through dash vents. I have to move AC to max and just wait till the floor vent returns to cold.

    Anybody else have this?

  2. #2
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Toycrusher View Post
    Now that temps have cracked 150,000 degrees celcius, I've been noticing while driving at highway speed with AC running pretty strong that occasionally I'll get heat blowing through the floor vents, but still cold through dash vents. I have to move AC to max and just wait till the floor vent returns to cold.

    Anybody else have this?
    150,000 degrees. Jesus. Are you living on the sun?


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  3. #3
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Land of no Open spaces!
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    150,000 degrees. Jesus. Are you living on the sun?


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    It's Texas, the humidity boils in mid air and it hurts! lol

    But in all seriousness, it's hot AF with 99% humidity levels and 100* heat, the AC seems like it can't keep up.

  4. #4
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    76
    Lol. I should have been more specific. Ambient is high 90s to low triple digits but heat index hits six digits...

    The issue isn't really cooling performance, it maintains cold air through the dash vents, it just seems like a blower door is glitching and sending heat through the footwell vents from time to time. It might happen twice in 20 miles and usually lasts about a minute each time.

  5. #5
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Land of no Open spaces!
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Toycrusher View Post
    Lol. I should have been more specific. Ambient is high 90s to low triple digits but heat index hits six digits...

    The issue isn't really cooling performance, it maintains cold air through the dash vents, it just seems like a blower door is glitching and sending heat through the footwell vents from time to time. It might happen twice in 20 miles and usually lasts about a minute each time.
    I think it's the auto climate control, it did the same thing on a Grand Cherokee I use to own and now on this JL.

    Turning off climate control sort of helps but the JL still does on occasion. Technology knows what you need better than you do... lol

    Have you cycled thru the airflow direction options? if something is stuck it may free it up cycling each option.

  6. #6
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    17
    I noticed that same issue the other night. I'm also in Texas. Though when I noticed it I was doing 70 and diving into really strong wind during a storm. I figured the vents just couldn't handle the air pressure and outside air was escaping into the cabin.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  7. #7
    Hooked Saddletramp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    106
    The heat coming through the floor at times with AC on is normal, it's been discussed a few times before and was part of the "engineering" with the JL. I haven't really noticed it but I think Eddie and a few others have noticed it before too. Not sure if there is any mention of it in the owners manual but it's been noted on other rigs.

  8. #8
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    The heat coming through the floor at times with AC on is normal, it's been discussed a few times before and was part of the "engineering" with the JL. I haven't really noticed it but I think Eddie and a few others have noticed it before too. Not sure if there is any mention of it in the owners manual but it's been noted on other rigs.
    I hope it wasn't "engineered" into the design It's rather uncomfortable and annoying. Perhaps they will come up with a software fix for it...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •