Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 JLU vs 2010 JKU Cargo Space

Been Around the Block

2018 JLU vs 2010 JKU Cargo Space

Bought my JLU Dec 2018 and took a road trip 3 days later. When I packed I had to rearrange how I packed because items did not fit the same as in the JK.

Finally got around to taking a few measurements and sure enough, the JLU has less usable cargo space then the JKU.

The floor depth loses 1-1.5" floor to top of the rear door (closed) because the rear seat is further back and leaned further back. Doesn't seam like much until you put a suitcase in on it's long side and it doesn't fit (fits in the JKU).

The amount of lost space between the roll bars was more than I thought it would be...the amount of useless space between the roll bar and the windows

Don't understand the roll bar design other than possibly thin material and the need to provide the strength thru the square beam - "tripod" design

The width of the floor space because of all the "decorative" panels...loss of 4"! 4" matter! (yep, that's what she said) , panels look nice, but I'd rather have the useable space.

JL_CargoSpace.jpg

Plan now is to remove the panels off the roll bar, the upper panels (40.75") take up too much space - hoping there's no wiring behind them.

Going to research the panels on the sides and see what's behind them before I start taking it out.

hey FCA... what happened to all that extra SPACE!! a Jeeper needs cargo space! Not rear seat space, nobody sits there anyway??

Need going out to the trails space, not going to the mall space

Ok, rant over, maybe I should sell it before it pisses me off more

First world problems. You should just buy another JK and do a cage swap into your JL.
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeeep View Post
    Bought my JLU Dec 2018 and took a road trip 3 days later. When I packed I had to rearrange how I packed because items did not fit the same as in the JK.

Finally got around to taking a few measurements and sure enough, the JLU has less usable cargo space then the JKU.

The floor depth loses 1-1.5" floor to top of the rear door (closed) because the rear seat is further back and leaned further back. Doesn't seam like much until you put a suitcase in on it's long side and it doesn't fit (fits in the JKU).

The amount of lost space between the roll bars was more than I thought it would be...the amount of useless space between the roll bar and the windows

Don't understand the roll bar design other than possibly thin material and the need to provide the strength thru the square beam - "tripod" design

The width of the floor space because of all the "decorative" panels...loss of 4"! 4" matter! (yep, that's what she said) , panels look nice, but I'd rather have the useable space.

JL_CargoSpace.jpg

Plan now is to remove the panels off the roll bar, the upper panels (40.75") take up too much space - hoping there's no wiring behind them.

Going to research the panels on the sides and see what's behind them before I start taking it out.

hey FCA... what happened to all that extra SPACE!! a Jeeper needs cargo space! Not rear seat space, nobody sits there anyway??

Need going out to the trails space, not going to the mall space

Ok, rant over, maybe I should sell it before it pisses me off more
    There is wiring behind the panels. And you aren't gonna gain that much space. U must have had a newer JK. My JK sub sticks out of that side panel a good 8+"

Sent via....

Nothing but a Thing
    According to the actual specs the JK cargo volume was 31.5 cu ft, the JL is 31.7 cu ft. 🤷*♂️

Sent via....

You're putting way too much thought into this.

Been Around the Block
    [QUOTE=13_gecko_rubi;51886]According to the actual specs the JK cargo volume was 31.5 cu ft, the JL is 31.7 cu ft. 🤷*♂️

Sent via....[/QUOTE

overall space, I'd say they are the same...but so much of it is useless!!

argh OCD

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    You're putting way too much thought into this.
    oh, I know I am...damn OCD has taken grip and well.. arghhh!!!!

I already had a packing system and now ..... OCD!

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    There is wiring behind the panels. And you aren't gonna gain that much space. U must have had a newer JK. My JK sub sticks out of that side panel a good 8+"

Sent via....

good to know

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    First world problems. You should just buy another JK and do a cage swap into your JL.
    OCD world problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast