ESS and ESC Indicators - Seeking Help

LVZen

2 door JLR with 3.6L.

I am getting indicators that Stop/Start is unavailable and ESC requires service. It happens about half the time, they only come on together, and they both go away if I re-start. It happens with the Tazer married or unmarried, so that doesn't seem to be related. I've seen others with the ESC problem and I understand there is a TSB from Jeep to address that, but I've not seen others with both coming on together, and only together. I'm in LV, and it seems to be occurring more frequently now that the A/C is running harder. I'm not sure if that's related, but the indicators tend to come on within a minute or two of starting, so I'm wondering if it is related to the second battery that supports the Stop/Start function.

I'm about to go through the dealer run-around, but before I do, I thought I'd reach out to the forum and see if others have the issue or know what's going on.

Thx in advance for any advice.

Jeeeep

When I took mine in for the fan being so loud, there was an ABS flash done that I asked why it was needed.

The service rep had no idea and told me it was recently released and applied it since it was recommended.

Wondering now if that was preemptive to ESS issues.

Will be curious to see what other TSB's they apply to your JL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I get the Auto Start/Stop not available from time to time but have yet to get an ESS error. Just to make sure it's not just a coincidence, have you made sure your steering wheel is centered?

Saddletramp

I'm in LV as well and get the Stop/Start Unavailable/Service message at start up or shortly after if I'm idling at a stop and AC on now that it's hot.

I figure it related to the loud fan TSB but haven't had time to take it in for the update yet. It goes out as well at restart like said above and everything else if fine so figured I'll take it in sometime for the update. :idontknow::idontknow::idontknow:

LVZen

Yes, I'm definitely sensing a connection between heavy draw from the A/C in the heat and when these indicator lights come on. I started to experiment by starting the car with the AC off, and when I do that, I have yet to get any indicator lights. Start it with the A/C on, and the indicators come on. Saddletramp, maybe try that and let me know if that is working for you? Would be good intel if so.

The TSB that Jeep released on the ESC indicator says that dealers should check the vacuum system. I seem to be having a problem with something that touches electronic stabilty control, auto stop/start and the A/C. With a known issue around the vacuum system, I'm curious if those three components are related through the vacuum system. Anybody know?

I will double-check the steering wheel in a few weeks (have some work scheduled on the suspension already), but it seems fine, and the fact that ESC and Stop/Start always come on together leads me to think it's something else.

I'd love to be smarter about the problem before I turn a dealer loose. Appreciate others weighing in!

Shadow's_Jepp

My JL has refused to start 3 times now. 1st time they came out an jump started it, two weeks later they had to tow it in, and replace the ESS Battery. And today it will not start. All 3 times the only way too open the door was with key, which sets off the alarm.

Shadow's_Jeep
2009 JKU Flame Red
2019 JL Bikini

LVZen

As an update, I finally took my Jeep to the dealer today. I had actually printed off Star TSB S1805000006 on the ESC indicator issue (an internet search will find it for you) and brought it with me. It instructs service departments to run a diagnostic on the vacuum system. They sort of chuckled at me, said forums are always full of crazy things, and told me they they were pretty confident it was the auxiliary battery for the ESS system. I said maybe, but please check the vacuum system anyway.

They ran the diagnostic on the vacuum system and it failed. They replaced a vacuum line harness, and that seems to have done the trick, no more indicator lights. I'll drive it for a while to make sure.

So if you're getting random indicator lights (especially the ESC light), check the vacuum system. This was frustrating me so I'm posting in hopes it helps others.

BornToRunAustin

As an update, I finally took my Jeep to the dealer today. I had actually printed off Star TSB S1805000006 on the ESC indicator issue (an internet search will find it for you) and brought it with me. It instructs service departments to run a diagnostic on the vacuum system. They sort of chuckled at me, said forums are always full of crazy things, and told me they they were pretty confident it was the auxiliary battery for the ESS system. I said maybe, but please check the vacuum system anyway.

They ran the diagnostic on the vacuum system and it failed. They replaced a vacuum line harness, and that seems to have done the trick, no more indicator lights. I'll drive it for a while to make sure.

So if you're getting random indicator lights (especially the ESC light), check the vacuum system. This was frustrating me so I'm posting in hopes it helps others.

So similar story...my ESS stopped working a couple of weeks ago. No big deal since I don’t like turning it off all the time. Yesterday my Jeep JLR would not start. It is 16 months old and a little over 36,000 miles so out of warranty.

Did get it to start with a battery jumper with no problem. Went to the dealership and was told that it would take three hours to figure out which battery was the problem. They would charge me. This is ridiculous and felt like a scam.

The parts department did not have a main battery anyway...so the dealer could not have fixed it anyway.

Went to a local auto parts store near my house. The counter guy went out to my Jeep and connected a battery tester. I cranked the engine with the battery jumper system and it only showed 123 cranking amps...it should be 600-700. So bad main battery that the auto store did not have either. There are not listings for batteries in auto parts stores for JLs.

Went to another dealer and got the listed JL battery there. It is slightly smaller and is listed for 600 cranking amps instead of 700 on the original equipment battery. Installed it myself...easy on the JL. All is well today and even the ESS system is working.

Also checked if my fuses were set properly...from info on other threads here. About 50% of the fuses were not set and a couple were not seated at all. Re-set all the fuses.

My concern is that the battery system/ESS on the JLRs is too complicated and not reliable. The random error messages may be due to fuses not being set properly at the factory or pooping loose off road?

My daughter and I were 15-20 miles off road in the back country of Big Bend three days ago. Thankfully we did not turn off the engine out there.

Also took off the felt battery cover and left it off. As reported also...battery problems are often due to heat. The battery might be overheating and failing under that nice looking cover?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app