JL JOURNAL : EVO JL Long Arm Suspension Installation - S#!T JUST GOT REAL / PART 1

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since getting our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited a little over a year and a half ago, Cindy and I have had a chance to test out a myriad of lift kits and this would include everything from a budget boost to a 4" coil lift. We did this to learn as much as we could and gain as much first hand experience as possible and mainly because we always knew this day was coming - the point of no return!

Based on our years of experience running EVO coilovers on both of our JK Wranglers, it really was just a matter of time before we installed set on our JL Wrangler as well. In addition to offering a crazy amount of flex out on the trail and allowing us to bomb across the desert in comfort, EVO has always done a great job of designing their coilover kits to offer an on pavement ride that we absolutely love. Of course, ride comfort is 100% subjective and the best part about coilovers is that they're completely adjustable. In other words, if you don't like what you get standard, you can always set them up with whatever spring rate and valving you prefer.

To help optimize our ride quality even more, we decided to have EVO High Clearance Long Arms installed at the same time as they do a great job of correcting suspension geometry. And, in this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see what all is involved to get them installed. We hope you enjoy.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

USMC Wrangler

It was great watching it happen in pictures a few days ago, but it’s so much more satisfying to see the process. They cranked that out fast!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLRay

Awesome upgrade! Looking forward to seeing more videos of them in action! I just have to wait patiently lol

JTCO

Meme King
That's a lot of work. Great editing and capturing the sparks and cutting.

I've noticed nearly everyone that does coilovers also does longarms. Other than the normal geometry correction that longarms accomplish, is there another benefit to them while running coilovers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that is so awesome! Congrats on the upgrade my friends

Thank you my friend. We're super excited with what we now have :yup:

It was great watching it happen in pictures a few days ago, but it’s so much more satisfying to see the process. They cranked that out fast!!!

Mel's guys are super fast for sure :crazyeyes:

dammit that's awesome!

Bubba?? :doh:

LOL - glad you liked what you saw :)

Awesome upgrade! Looking forward to seeing more videos of them in action! I just have to wait patiently lol

Coming soon - coming soon :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a lot of work. Great editing and capturing the sparks and cutting.

I've noticed nearly everyone that does coilovers also does longarms. Other than the normal geometry correction that longarms accomplish, is there another benefit to them while running coilovers?

Yup. With as much flex as you get with EVO coilovers (not all coilover kits are made the same), it's helpful to have long arms being that they'll reduce the amount of axle swipe you'll see at a full droop. Also, assuming you'll use your Jeep to bomb across the desert, the corrected geometry will help provide a better ride. Lesser kits, ones that require you to run their coilovers sky high can benefit from just the geometry correction alone.

The speed in the efficiency that they can work at... Just incredible. Looking forward to the next installment.

It just goes to show just how well they know what they're doing :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There goes your warranty [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Awesome video. Those guys made that look so easy.

eh, we're already at 36k anyway :crazyeyes:

@wayoflife which kit is that? I was just looking at thier coilover kit earlier today ....
Also amazing job to cindy for the footage.

This is their high clearance long arm kit with bolt on coil over kit.

2Wheel-Lee

I've seen inconsistent backspacing requirements for their JL coilover kits, so I'm not sure what they really are. Will you be able to keep your 4.75" backspace wheels, or will you have to replace them?

I don't have my JL yet, but I'm making plans to pull the trigger on all the parts for when I place the JL order. I live right around the corner from EVO, so that's convenient!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen inconsistent backspacing requirements for their JL coilover kits, so I'm not sure what they really are. Will you be able to keep your 4.75" backspace wheels, or will you have to replace them?

I don't have my JL yet, but I'm making plans to pull the trigger on all the parts for when I place the JL order. I live right around the corner from EVO, so that's convenient!

For now, the plan is to run what we have with wheel spacers. We will most likely find a replacement set of wheels with 3.5" of back spacing. That's what you really need.

2Wheel-Lee

Thanks for confirming. Though one spec was 3.75" backspacing, so I guess that makes it easy for you to just run 1" spacers. I haven't seen too many (if any?) 3.75" backspace wheels, so I could see picking a nice 3.5" bs wheel should be easy.

Kind of a bummer, as I know it would be nice to keep that increased backspacing (as I would as well).

So my next question...and what I've been debating, is will you be going with 68.5 Dynatrac axles keeping the 3.5" backspace or go to 72.5 axles with 5.5" bs? How close is the end of the Dynatrac hub face to the face of a typical 8.5" wheel with a 5.5" bs? I can't tell you how many hours I've been contemplating these options.

LauraRose

Awesome to see "Jet's Evolution"! Just curious: 1) how many hours did it take for the guys to complete the work? 2) does Off Road Evolution charge a flat labor rate per install or an hourly labor charge? Trying to get an idea of what it would cost an average Jane, like me. As always, thanks for the AWESOME content!

Laura Rose from PA