View Poll Results: which lift

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Help on new lift please!

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    13

    Help on new lift please!

    I have been trying to decide between these three lifts for a while now. Evo we all know and its good just a lot more expensive. Rock Krawler is similar and has a life time warranty on hard parts and is about 1k cheaper. Metalcloak seems to be a little further ahead in the engineering and technology, but the warranty is not there comparatively. Here is my question how much articulation can I expect for the different kits comparatively with each other and which one would you buy and why when the prices differ this much for the same components?evo.jpgrock krawler.JPGmetalcloak.JPG

  2. #2
    Fresh Catch Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    14
    I'm looking at evo 2.5 inch myself right now! Good questions. Following

    Sent from my SM-G960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  3. #3
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    32
    I compared the exactly three for weeks before pulling the trigger. I was able to ride in new JLs with each of the lifts prior to purchasing, so this is just my view of each one.

    EVO: This kit rode the best, however with bumpers / winch / rear tire it did squat more than the others. With 37's, he still had rubbing and wished he'd done taller springs. He also had King shocks on it, so that may have helped with the best ride as well.

    Rock Krawler: Kit seemed to be just as well built as the others, but it rode the worst. Like a lot worse.

    MetalCloak: Great ride and well built. This is the one I purchased for myself and installed - 3.5". A few points:

    1. I really hope the joints hold up to expectations. Not having to rebuild Johnny Joints was a plus, so we will see how they age.
    2. It's gold. Thought it would bug me more, but you really only see small parts of it and it's not as bad as in their pictures.
    3. Ride is good, but I'm not happy with the shock setup. They are fine on the highway, but off-road I need something better.
    4. There is a LOT of flex (may be the same with the other kits), but I still get some rubbing with 37" STT Pros on KMC 231 beadlocks in the rear at full articulation.

    IMG_20190602_112542.jpg
    IMG_6307.jpg
    MVIMG_20190602_135627.jpg
    2019-06-02_14-19-11_764 (2).jpg

  4. #4
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUConrad View Post
    I compared the exactly three for weeks before pulling the trigger. I was able to ride in new JLs with each of the lifts prior to purchasing, so this is just my view of each one.

    EVO: This kit rode the best, however with bumpers / winch / rear tire it did squat more than the others. With 37's, he still had rubbing and wished he'd done taller springs. He also had King shocks on it, so that may have helped with the best ride as well.

    Rock Krawler: Kit seemed to be just as well built as the others, but it rode the worst. Like a lot worse.

    MetalCloak: Great ride and well built. This is the one I purchased for myself and installed - 3.5". A few points:

    1. I really hope the joints hold up to expectations. Not having to rebuild Johnny Joints was a plus, so we will see how they age.
    2. It's gold. Thought it would bug me more, but you really only see small parts of it and it's not as bad as in their pictures.
    3. Ride is good, but I'm not happy with the shock setup. They are fine on the highway, but off-road I need something better.
    4. There is a LOT of flex (may be the same with the other kits), but I still get some rubbing with 37" STT Pros on KMC 231 beadlocks in the rear at full articulation.

    IMG_20190602_112542.jpg
    IMG_6307.jpg
    MVIMG_20190602_135627.jpg
    2019-06-02_14-19-11_764 (2).jpg
    How do you feel about the metal cloak warranty vs the others? I really want to go with metalcloak but that warranty makes me balk at it.

  5. #5
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,276
    I wouldnít order from north ridge if you paid me to.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  6. #6
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    How do you feel about the metal cloak warranty vs the others? I really want to go with metalcloak but that warranty makes me balk at it.
    Buying a lift because of the warranty not the quality. About the dumbest thing Iíve heard all day.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  7. #7
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    32
    Honestly I had no idea that any of the lifts had a warranty. I will say that I had an issue with one sway bar link, bolt came off and threads got damaged. I called a told them that I forgot to torque them down, and they sent out two new ones for free. Maybe not a warranty, but excellent customer service.

    From what I read, Iíd expect the same level of customer service from all three companies.

  8. #8
    Fresh Catch Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUConrad View Post
    I compared the exactly three for weeks before pulling the trigger. I was able to ride in new JLs with each of the lifts prior to purchasing, so this is just my view of each one.

    EVO: This kit rode the best, however with bumpers / winch / rear tire it did squat more than the others. With 37's, he still had rubbing and wished he'd done taller springs. He also had King shocks on it, so that may have helped with the best ride as well.

    Rock Krawler: Kit seemed to be just as well built as the others, but it rode the worst. Like a lot worse.

    MetalCloak: Great ride and well built. This is the one I purchased for myself and installed - 3.5". A few points:

    1. I really hope the joints hold up to expectations. Not having to rebuild Johnny Joints was a plus, so we will see how they age.
    2. It's gold. Thought it would bug me more, but you really only see small parts of it and it's not as bad as in their pictures.
    3. Ride is good, but I'm not happy with the shock setup. They are fine on the highway, but off-road I need something better.
    4. There is a LOT of flex (may be the same with the other kits), but I still get some rubbing with 37" STT Pros on KMC 231 beadlocks in the rear at full articulation.

    IMG_20190602_112542.jpg
    IMG_6307.jpg
    MVIMG_20190602_135627.jpg
    2019-06-02_14-19-11_764 (2).jpg
    So if I went with evo 3.5 inch eventually it would settle to 3 inches or lower with aftermarket bumpers and such?? Wonder how much it drops.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  9. #9
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4
    Been considering he Metalcloak for a while too. Waiting just a bit before pulling the trigger but it seems to have the most tech. Also, articulation seems better because of the joints and all.

    Iíve heard bad things about their 6pak shocks. May just go with Fox but Iím not sure how much travel the Fox shocks have.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  10. #10
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    Buying a lift because of the warranty not the quality. About the dumbest thing Iíve heard all day.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    It was a given that they are ALL quality lifts. Which means you have to look at other factors. Price, Warranty and performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •