Opinions wanted on bumper decision

Spack

So, I like bumpers in the mid width to stubby length and a sunken winch. I have a VR10-S waiting in the garage. I was looking at the LOD Signature mid-width but saw the Rugged Ridge Arcus in Eddies EJS video with RR. The LOD is 3/16th steel and the RR is 11ga. That comes out to .188” and .120” respectively.

What I’d like to know, since I’m not educated enough on steel, if I were to tag a rock or bump something, would there be a difference in damage to the Rugged Ridge since it’s 6/100th thinner? It doesn’t seem like a lot, but idk. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MrGiant

It does not only depend on the wall thickness. Without concerning the impact strength the other factors about damage or no damage are geometry on the impact area (konvex or similar is stronger than flat), the type of steel (alloys and strength, heat treatment...), formed surfaces vs welded pyramid like shapes and inner reinforcements.
Which of these would be stronger....I dont know

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Spack

It does not only depend on the wall thickness. Without concerning the impact strength the other factors about damage or no damage are geometry on the impact area (konvex or similar is stronger than flat), the type of steel (alloys and strength, heat treatment...), formed surfaces vs welded pyramid like shapes and inner reinforcements.
Which of these would be stronger....I dont know

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Very true. As I try to gain experience on more advanced terrain, I would hate to misjudge the line and tag a rock and damage the bumper. I guess sometimes you do have to play to play

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app