Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what 2" lift kit to choose

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    I was also looking at the Dynatrac and Rancho lifts when the time comes, and wanting to run 37s, I think I would need at least 2-2.5" of actual lift, but I tend to run heavier than the rigs above (steel bumpers, carrier, rotopax, winch, etc) so Im afraid of the sag that will net me too little lift. I really like the reviews on the EVO plushrides, because my Jeep is mainly a daily driver with one or two annual out west trips, so comfort on sh!tty east coast roads is important, but I know the plushrides are a bit soft, so I was thinking that going with the 3.5" plushrides with the added weight would net me around the 2-2.5" of lift that Im looking for. I guess when the time comes I'll ask plushride owners for their findings to see how much they lose in lift when they add a bit of weight at both ends.
    That was my original plan. Still have the evo lift sitting in the garage. But plans changed when I split the fenders.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    I was also looking at the Dynatrac and Rancho lifts when the time comes, and wanting to run 37s, I think I would need at least 2-2.5" of actual lift, but I tend to run heavier than the rigs above (steel bumpers, carrier, rotopax, winch, etc) so Im afraid of the sag that will net me too little lift. I really like the reviews on the EVO plushrides, because my Jeep is mainly a daily driver with one or two annual out west trips, so comfort on sh!tty east coast roads is important, but I know the plushrides are a bit soft, so I was thinking that going with the 3.5" plushrides with the added weight would net me around the 2-2.5" of lift that Im looking for. I guess when the time comes I'll ask plushride owners for their findings to see how much they lose in lift when they add a bit of weight at both ends.
    Match the springs with King 2.5 bypass shocks from EVO and the ride is definitely not soft. It’s compliant but not wallowing. They valved them to feel more sporty than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 JLUR Sting Gray

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    The Rancho lift will yield a bit more than 2" of lift but it'll still be a good fit for 35's. If you don't install a lift, you will have rubbing issues.
    I was away for the weekend and just saw all the responses to my post. Thanks to everyone for their input.

I think I'll go with the tires first and then move into the lift later in the summer.

Thanks again everyone.

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
    Match the springs with King 2.5 bypass shocks from EVO and the ride is definitely not soft. It’s compliant but not wallowing. They valved them to feel more sporty than stock.

Are these the non adjustable?

Quote Originally Posted by Xjcountry95 View Post
    You can get Evo Spec King remote res shocks with or without compression adjustment.

My kit came with non adjustable. I understand they can be purchased with adjustable shocks as well.

2018 JLUR Sting Gray

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Oh come on, of course there are a LOT of other kits out there other than Dynatrac and Rancho and ones that are a LOT better. The people here are just going off of what they know and or have seen and are just sharing as much. To call their opinions "bias" without even making a suggestion as to what you would recommend instead and why is kinda lame. Not trying to take a shot at you and hope you don't take this the wrong way, just trying to inject a bit of perspective.

All good, as was I. I mean this whole notion of “kits” has a dogmatic thought process in my opinion. We should first use all the heads here to see what springs for a given ride height are the softest and which are the sturdiest for heavy bumpers wince etc. (spring rate) then talk shock valving match and adjustable control arm strength construction quality. I have not seen any evidence that any one company has all sides figured out. Thats why coil-overs are the gold standard, because you can swap valving and spring rates/resting ride height pretty easy.
    I like
    Evo coils
    JKS Coils
    (Laugh if you want) Skyjacker silicon chrome springs
    Old man emu (soft)
    Icon
    Stay away from rock crawler springs

Arms:
    Evo
    Metal cloak: if you dont mind proprietary bushings
    Synergy easy adjustablity

Shocks are the hardest to decode. Ive not had enough data on shock valving over a lot of manufacturers. One thing i can say is that more often than not, valving is generally stiff. To combat excess float or body roll during highway driving on an increased roll center.

All good, as was I. I mean this whole notion of “kits” has a dogmatic thought process in my opinion. We should first use all the heads here to see what springs for a given ride height are the softest and which are the sturdiest for heavy bumpers wince etc. (spring rate) then talk shock valving match and adjustable control arm strength construction quality. I have not seen any evidence that any one company has all sides figured out. Thats why coil-overs are the gold standard, because you can swap valving and spring rates/resting ride height pretty easy.
    I like
    Evo coils
    JKS Coils
    Old man emu (soft)
    Icon

Arms:
    Evo

Shocks are the hardest to decode. Ive not had enough data on shock valving over a lot of manufacturers. One thing i can say is that more often than not, valving is generally stiff. To combat excess float or body roll during highway driving on an increased roll center.
    If anyone out there has a complete kit figured out better than others it would be EVO. Call me a fanboy or whatever you want, but besides Dynatrac, I don't know of anyone else that has JK/JL specific valving with both coilovers and shocks (both by King). Metalcloak has shocks but I wouldn't run those POS's if they were given to me. Teraflex has their Falcons but they're from Teraflex, so no other explanation necessary.

Edit: Dynatrac only has valving specific shocks from FOX, not coilovers. My wording above could be misconstrued

I like
    Evo coils
    JKS Coils
    Old man emu (soft)
    Icon

Arms:
    Evo

As I always say, ride quality is 100% subjective. What one person likes, another may not. Me personally, I prefer a ride that's on the softer side but overlander types typically balk at that being that they want to carry a ton of crap and not have a saggy look. I would totally agree with you that coilovers are the gold standard being that you can set them to how you want.

What I will say about EVO is that unlike any other company that I know of, they spend a LOT of time testing and tuning their King shocks with King. This as opposed to what most companies do and that's to just offer a shock to go with their kit. Granted, the ride that the EVO spec king shocks provide with their coils are based off of what they prefer but I tend to like the ride as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ddays v2 View Post
    If anyone out there has a complete kit figured out better than others it would be EVO. Call me a fanboy or whatever you want, but besides Dynatrac, I don't know of anyone else that has JK/JL specific valving with both coilovers and shocks (both by King). Metalcloak has shocks but I wouldn't run those POS's if they were given to me. Teraflex has their Falcons but they're from Teraflex, so no other explanation necessary.

Edit: Dynatrac only has valving specific shocks from FOX, not coilovers. My wording above could be misconstrued
    Correct. The Dyantrac lift comes with Fox 2.0's made specifically for their coils. You cannot buy them separately. EVO also has specific shocks made by King to go with their coils. Of course, you can buy Fox, King or otherwise out there but they wouldn't be specifically designed for any specific set of coils.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast