Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NO DIPSTICK?? ZF-Based 850RE 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Question NO DIPSTICK?? ZF-Based 850RE 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

We've all known that the JL Wrangler would be coming with a ZF-Based 850RE 8-Speed Automatic Transmission for some time now and while I'd be the first to say that I'm excited about it, I must say that the thought of it not having a dipstick does raise an eyebrow. Granted, modern transmission have seen a lot of improvements over the years and service intervals have been pushed farther and farther away and because of it, I suppose it should be no surprise that the 850RE would be a “fill for life” design but does this concern anyone else?

I see this daily. Many manufacturers have gone to this. IMO, it's not really a problem on other vehicles; if there are no leaks and you follow maintenance guidelines in the manual, you're fine. However on a Jeep, I think it's a stupid idea. If you blow a tranny line on the trail or put a hole in the pan and you happen to CARRY the correct items/tools to do a trail repair, how will you know how much fluid to add when the repair is made? I hope more will be revealed in regards of a way to accurately check the fluid if you had to deal with it out on the trail. Most manufactures that don't have a dipstick either have a plug (like a tcase or manual trans) or an internal tube in the pan with an external plug (hard to explain) , basically if you pull the plug and fluid comes out, it's full.

Hooked
    Zero transmission service? That sounds absurd.. curious how this transmission pans out.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I'm not as worried about the maintenance aspect of the transmission as opposed to any damage that could occur to the trans pan or cooling lines on the trail. Brings a whole new meaning to drive it til it breaks!
    The Universe Rewards Action!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    I'm not as worried about the maintenance aspect of the transmission as opposed to any damage that could occur to the trans pan or cooling lines on the trail. Brings a whole new meaning to drive it til it breaks!
    Trans skid will be a nice mod.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    No shit!

2012 Jeep Jk - 37’s
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40’s
    1975 Jeep DJ5

It’s a Jeep, it’s going to leak fluids. When it stops, be concerned.

2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    The ZF8 speed is literally on 100+ vehicles. It has long proven itself. I dont think you have anything to worry about.

I can't say that I'm worried about the transmission itself but rather, it not having a dipstick does raise an eyebrow for me and for the reasons WJCO and JeepFan noted. I guess I'll have to be a lot more careful with my JL or at least, until I can get some proper armor to protect things.

What are the benefits of No Dip Stick?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast