NO DIPSTICK?? ZF-Based 850RE 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Jeeeep

if it can be drained and filled without special tools, not a bad idea I guess, one less tube for dirt to get into but I wouldn't want a completely sealed, dealer serviceable only transmission.

Being that dealers are not known for their service speed and not something I would want to have to schedule and leave for who knows how long.

I also maintain my transmission at much shorter intervals due to the 37's, the overall weight and it mileage I put on it on and off road.

When I'm traveling and hit an incline I don't ease off too much, I push it to hold speed if possible which I'm pretty sure it's hard on the transmission and fluid.

I also see more of these type of changes not only as cost saving/ selling points but also as a means for the dealerships to lock in more service business since they failed at trying to call vehicles proprietary technology in their attempt to force consumers to the dealerships.

Will be looking for the final specs and reviews.

krdadlamb

My Audi has no dipstick for the engine oil, but one for the transmission. I do my own oil changes, and have to check the oil, with the motor running, via the information system on the dash. This seems completely backwards to me. My question, does anyone know if oil levels on the transmission can at least be checked through the information system, or is it just a dumbie light that goes off if low?

These ZF 8 speeds are used and have been used in many vehicles for years now and none have dipsticks. Neither do the new GM 8 speeds or the GM/Ford 10 speeds. They do have a fill port that is kinda like the diff. Fill it til it comes out and it's full. Watch some of Motech gen v videos you can see them doing it on the GM 8 speed.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Glad to hear it from you. Thanks! After I bought my JK w/ 60k miles on it I changed every fluid & filter. I also had to replace the faulty trans line. Doing the whole idle in neutral for 15 minutes, row the gears, then check thing didn’t work well and I over filled it. It boiled over & I had trans slip. I had to get an extra long hose and use an o-ring to seal the tube to pump 3/4 of a quart back out. Totally sucked. Once I corrected it she was perfect till I traded her. I’ll get s skid and pray

BillArnett

Many years ago, I was involved in an incident that bears on this point in a slightly different light:

We were wheeling in a rented JKU in Death Valley. Actually, just outside DV at the spot known as Chicken Rock. Thru a series of f**kups the JKU ended up on its side. And by the time we got it righted again most of the fluid had drained out of the transmission via the dipstick port. In order to get it back to "civilization" we had no choice but to put ordinary engine oil in the transmission. The insurance company decided that this meant that the transmission was totaled. $1000 deductible. :-( With a sealed tranny it would have been a lot less expensive.

Danny

NYC_Bobby

My biggest concern here is that I have to rely on the service tech that does the tranny service. I've done 3 oil changes on my JL so far, (2 myself and 1 at the dealer - JeepWave Free Deal). On the ride home from the dealer service I looked at the receipt and it said 6 quarts, "Oh shit, NO!". Got home, checked and it was overfilled. Had to drop it in the driveway and refill it myself. :mad:

Nope, never again.

Bobby

JTCO

Meme King
Bump.

Now that it's been two years since this thread was started, has anyone had to deal with any real world trail repairs with this transmission and fluid, etc? Just curious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bump.

Now that it's been two years since this thread was started, has anyone had to deal with any real world trail repairs with this transmission and fluid, etc? Just curious.

Yes. There is a special fluid you will need to get for the transmission that can only be found through the dealership or bought as a Mopar fluid or at least, that was my understanding. It is NOT a typical ATF that you can find at your local auto parts store. If I recall, you will need an 10mm allen bit or wrench to remove the fill plug. You just fill till it oozes out like a transfer case but getting it in there is impossible without a pump.

13_gecko_rubi

Yes. There is a special fluid you will need to get for the transmission that can only be found through the dealership or bought as a Mopar fluid or at least, that was my understanding. It is NOT a typical ATF that you can find at your local auto parts store. If I recall, you will need an 10mm allen bit or wrench to remove the fill plug. You just fill till it oozes out like a transfer case but getting it in there is impossible without a pump.

Did it freak you out at all that the fluid was clear when it came out? :)

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

SouthCo

Eddie, hoping you will make a video showing how to drain and refill the 8spd trans. If you already have, I missed it and apologize....

ubbb69

On a different note about the trans. Anyone else watch the trans temp gauge? 200-212 seem high?is this fluid used more temp stable then typical fluid?

JTCO

Meme King
On a different note about the trans. Anyone else watch the trans temp gauge? 200-212 seem high?is this fluid used more temp stable then typical fluid?

Most trans fluid stays about 190 to 210 from what I've seen on various manufacturers.

I think the ZF is a beast so far & have zero worries. I really don’t think about it. The 4 speed on my 2010 JK had me constantly worried. I changed the fluid & I guess overfilled it. I think I didn’t warm it up enough when I checked the levels. It boiled over & was slipping. I rigged up a pump, got some fluid out & it was fine but I was nervous for a long time. I wished I’d never messed with it. I’m not messing with the ZF.