Planning a trip to Colorado

Txhrns08

Hey guys, I am not sure if this is the correct place for this post. My wife and I as well as our 4 year old are planning a trip to Colorado. We are looking for trails or a route to take to make the most of our first trip with the Jeep. We have a JLUR with a 3.5 game changer lift, 38" Patagonia tires, and a winch. We are planning our trip for the last weekend of July, and I have purchased Charles Wells Guide to Colorado Backroads. We will be coming from Texas and will have 6 days 5 nights. We might be pulling the pop up camper and setting up a home base, or we might just get cabins, along the way. We do want to spend 2 nights out on the trails at a cool site or two (by a lake, or old abandon mine, something cool) My off road experience is beginner to intermediate, I have done some local trails in Texas at Hidden Falls in Marble Falls and Barnwell mountain in Gilmer, but have not made it to Colorado yet. I am asking for any advice on trails and camping locations. Thanks a TON!

JTCO

Meme King
We want to see the white sand dunes. So plan to come up thru Trinidad and the work our way out. Really no plans yet. Maybe to Durango, Leadville or up to breck. Looking for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Breck is beautiful but more for a tourist type of feel IMO. And it has gotten really busy/crowded. Might be best to do that one during the week and find some forest roads nearby for camping. Also, any trails you may want to reach out to the forest service in those areas because we got a ton of snow this year. I don't know much about the trails in the other areas.

NFRs2000NYC

Definitely check out the trails in the San Juan's, alpine loop, imogene, ophir, and the towns of telluride/ouray, silverton, animas forks, etc. However, those trails probably wont open until deep into the summer, so make sure you are checking the status of their closure. A few years ago, I was in vail and it was 75 degrees, and Shrine pass, not far from there was still under 10 feet of snow.

Txhrns08

Definitely check out the trails in the San Juan's, alpine loop, imogene, ophir, and the towns of telluride/ouray, silverton, animas forks, etc. However, those trails probably wont open until deep into the summer, so make sure you are checking the status of their closure. A few years ago, I was in vail and it was 75 degrees, and Shrine pass, not far from there was still under 10 feet of snow.

Okay thanks for the leads up. I will keep watching the closure. We are waiting for the last weekend before school starts back, so hopefully we will make it this summer.

Spack

Try Lake City on the east side of the Alpine Loop. Last summer we stayed at The Texan on the south side of town. No joke, everyone there was from somewhere in Texas.

Lots of Jeeps and SxS all throughout town. It’s in the CW book as well.

We drove our Armada out there and rented a JKUS because I only had a TJ at the time, but can’t wait until we go back in my JLUR.