JL Wrangler 2.0L Hurricane Turbo Mild Hybrid : 48-Volt Lithium Ion Battery

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may know, the 2.0L Hurricane Turbo that comes on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler is considered to be a "mild hybrid" motor. In other words, it not only runs of gasoline, it also has a 48-Volt Lithium Ion Battery that it works off of too... kinda like a Prius. For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a shot of where the battery is located - basically, it sits about where the EVAP canister used to be mounted on a JK.

20171213115801-395a7e20.jpg

I have a feeling Rock Hard 4x4 will be making a lot of money selling skids for this especially being that it'll probably be pretty hard to relocate it.

What do you guys think of it?

JTCO

Meme King
I'm liking this engine option less with something like that. I must be getting old. But I guess I'll have to wait and see details on exactly how this thing works.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm liking this engine option less with something like that. I must be getting old. But I guess I'll have to wait and see details on exactly how this thing works.

It's tough, I always like the idea of trying something new but from what I've been reading so far, the performance gains on the 2.0L aren't that noticeable and being that it's an UPGRADE option, it actually costs MORE to get. A far cry from the old 2.5L of yesteryear.

JAGS

On something like a Sahara that is going to be lugging gear all over town and an occasional road trip, this might be ok. Depends on the final MPG variance to the 3.6.

I can't see getting one for a rubicon, but I'm sure someone will do it. Birkenstocks still sell too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On something like a Sahara that is going to be lugging gear all over town and an occasional road trip, this might be ok. Depends on the final MPG variance to the 3.6.

I can't see getting one for a rubicon, but I'm sure someone will do it. Birkenstocks still sell too.

There's no MPG info on the 2.0L Hurricane Turbo but word has it that it'll be "better" than the 3.6L Pentastar.

For those of you who don't know, the Hurricane comes with a motor generator called an eTorque and it replaces the alternator. This unit charges the 12-volt battery and according to
David Tracy of Jalopnik, it "sends torque to the engine’s crankshaft via the accessory belt, and turns the vehicle’s forward motion into current for the liquid-cooled 48-volt lithium-ion battery."

ddays v2

My concern with a system like this is longevity. I tend to keep vehicles a long time after they're paid off and typically drive them till they're junk. I'm talking like 225-250,000 miles. (my '12 Durango is at 228,000)
Granted, not everyone does this but something like this system seems like it would be something I'd steer clear of. :twocents:

sharkey

Word Ninja
I wouldn't want it yet, but I look at it as baby steps. I would love to someday have a fully electric Jeep with a 350 mile range and quick charge capabilities. :rock:

TrailHunter

I was wondering what that thing was on previous pictures... I expect there will be some issues with this motor/battery. Thing about Jeeps though, they get pushed pretty hard, so we should find out sooner then later about capability & reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Its definitely an interesting design and mostly used to augment the ESS, making the SS seamless (reviews have been great.) Also, would be nice if it functioned like a dual battery, meaning, if you ran accessories and killed your main battery, that this one would be able to start the vehicle. If this is the case, I think it's a fantastic upgrade, as you get essentially a factory dual battery system, which is a great thing to have in a vehicle of this type. Hopefully, the engineers were smart enough to not pull a BMW 7 series or a Range Rover, and integrate this system into the main nervous system of the jeep, so that if there is a fault with the system, the vehicle can still be driven out, otherwise the complexity of the system and lack of ability to trail service it will put off the real jeepers and will keep this for the mall crawlers.

13_gecko_rubi

Its definitely an interesting design and mostly used to augment the ESS, making the SS seamless (reviews have been great.) Also, would be nice if it functioned like a dual battery, meaning, if you ran accessories and killed your main battery, that this one would be able to start the vehicle. If this is the case, I think it's a fantastic upgrade, as you get essentially a factory dual battery system, which is a great thing to have in a vehicle of this type. Hopefully, the engineers were smart enough to not pull a BMW 7 series or a Range Rover, and integrate this system into the main nervous system of the jeep, so that if there is a fault with the system, the vehicle can still be driven out, otherwise the complexity of the system and lack of ability to trail service it will put off the real jeepers and will keep this for the mall crawlers.
First the difference between this system and normal ESS is night and day.

The way the system works is it replaces the alternator with a motor generator unit. It is a large genset connected directly to the crank pulley with a large belt. It either acts as a motor to provide additional crankshaft hp (if battery is charged) or runs off the crank to charge the battery during regen braking, coast down etc. Another large benefit is it can provide additional torque in cases where needed. Think about say while a turbocharged engine is building boost, the etorque system can provide the extra torque to the crank until engine reaches peak. All seemlessly. It works quite well, even offroad.

As for battery question, the system replaces the alt so it actually charges the 48v battery then the 12v battery is charged from the 48v battery. So yes it is a very large dual battery system.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As for battery question, the system replaces the alt so it actually charges the 48v battery then the 12v battery is charged from the 48v battery. So yes it is a very large dual battery system.

Now THAT is interesting!!

I wonder if there's a way to hook up to it and use it to weld? Hmmmm.
hmm.gif
:crazyeyes:

JTCO

Meme King
Another large benefit is it can provide additional torque in cases where needed. Think about say while a turbocharged engine is building boost, the etorque system can provide the extra torque to the crank until engine reaches peak. All seemlessly. It works quite well, even offroad.

That is actually pretty cool. Prior to optimum turbo boost, how does the system know that it is needed? I assume it is software based and detects the lower rpm?

So on this engine option, the an alternator doesn't exist at all?