Gladiator front camera on JL

VitaMeVas

I want to put a front mount camera on my JLU and liked the washer sprayer on the Gladiator. Called up the dealership and asked what the mopar part would cost and the gal said that for just the camera it was around $1200. That didn’t include any wiring harness/hoses/etc. We both laughed and hung up. Just FYI if anyone had the same idea.

13_gecko_rubi

I want to put a front mount camera on my JLU and liked the washer sprayer on the Gladiator. Called up the dealership and asked what the mopar part would cost and the gal said that for just the camera it was around $1200. That didn’t include any wiring harness/hoses/etc. We both laughed and hung up. Just FYI if anyone had the same idea.
It's not easy to do and would actually be much more. There is a lot to it, it's not just the front camera. Need new rear camera too, module, somewhere to mount module (good luck), wiring, software, etc.

Sent via....

JTCO

Meme King
With all that, I would just get a cheap camera on Amazon, wire it to a switch. Then you could actually get a separate washer pump and switch and mount it somehow into your OEM washer reservoir or even get an additional small reservoir (water bottle sized) and plumb it. I bet you could build a decent clean-looking setup for under 100 bucks.

GCM 2.0

My buddy uses a GoPro camera that’s fed into his iPad via Bluetooth. I’ll ask him exactly how he does it and I’ll report back

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Just a wild guess but I bet that “via Bluetooth” is how that works. It’s how all but the oldest GoPro cameras work. You use the GoPro app on your smart phone or iPad to edit settings, aim the field of view, start/stop or delete footage, take a photo. It’s barely even noteworthy in 21st century technologies. This setup would be useful offroad, but as for attempting to be a part of a “factory like” 360 degree camera system used for parking assist, probably not the best choice. For starters you have a very noticeable chunky little, 8hr battery life, $300 cube mounted on the front of your Jeep by a suction cup mount just waiting to be stolen.

Last edited:

Rgk401

Just a wild guess but I bet that “via Bluetooth” is how that works. It’s how all but the oldest GoPro cameras work. You use the GoPro app on your smart phone or iPad to edit settings, aim the field of view, start/stop or delete footage, take a photo. It’s barely even noteworthy in 21st century technologies. This setup would be useful offroad, but as for attempting to be a part of a “factory like” 360 degree camera system used for parking assist, probably not the best choice. For starters you have a very noticeable chunky little, 8hr battery life, $300 cube mounted on the front of your Jeep by a suction cup mount just waiting to be stolen.

He uses it for off road only. I thought you was looking for something off road but I misread the post sorry

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

VitaMeVas

I figured I’d go the JL Tazer route since I have the Tazer mini already. As for the washer, it’s not a deal breaker, just thought it was a good idea. I thought about a simple washer pump, but I’d run it without and see if it’s worth the work.

VitaMeVas

With all that, I would just get a cheap camera on Amazon, wire it to a switch. Then you could actually get a separate washer pump and switch and mount it somehow into your OEM washer reservoir or even get an additional small reservoir (water bottle sized) and plumb it. I bet you could build a decent clean-looking setup for under 100 bucks.

mike2019

Front facing camera add on?

Can I easily add a stock style Gladiator front facing camera to my 2019 JLUR? I upgraded to the 8.4 touch screen and Alpine 9 speaker system from the factory. Would it just be plug and play. I think its a great feature and hidden well to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Piginajeep

It was discussed earlier. It’s not a simple add on. It’s expensive too.
IMG_3612.jpg

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1989 YJ Sahara
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Can I easily add a stock style Gladiator front facing camera to my 2019 JLUR? I upgraded to the 8.4 touch screen and Alpine 9 speaker system from the factory. Would it just be plug and play. I think its a great feature and hidden well to.

Well, it's difficult to do the camera with guidelines and squirt function found on the JT, however it's not difficult to add a standard front camera to the JL 8.4. The 8.4 is already wired for two cameras. You'll just need a camera, wiring and something like the Tazer JL from Z Automotive to enable the "cargo cam", which you would just use for your front camera. In fact Z Automotive offers a full JL Front Camera kit, which does look OE. It should be noted however that the 8.4 cargo cam input is SD only, rather than HD.

JTCO

Meme King

Merged thread here.

mike2019

Thank you
Well, it's difficult to do the camera with guidelines and squirt function found on the JT, however it's not difficult to add a standard front camera to the JL 8.4. The 8.4 is already wired for two cameras. You'll just need a camera, wiring and something like the Tazer JL from Z Automotive to enable the "cargo cam", which you would just use for your front camera. In fact Z Automotive offers a full JL Front Camera kit, which does look OE. It should be noted however that the 8.4 cargo cam input is SD only, rather than HD.

Onlyone

Not only that but I’m pretty sure if you have the ACC camera in the window up front, the other “cargo” cam is taken up in that pin. I think it’s pin 25. At least that’s how it is in the Power Wagon.