JL Wrangler AXLES - Dana M186 & M210 Front / M200 & M220 Rear

Saddletramp

Having bought one before I'd never recommend upgrading to a semi float 60. You don't really gain much. Still will bend flanges. Go pr44 front and stock rear or 60/60... Or 60/80. Went through that whole sequence in my JK lol. JL will only get one set when they get swapped eventually.

Sent via....

Scott, are you going to do XD 60 front and rear or 60/80?

I’m trying to decide if 80 rear again for me or if the low pinion XD 60 has closed the gap a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Danny

Wow. You all are awesome. Great info. Is there a big difference in drivability because of the weight of the 60's?. My guess is that the extra weight is unsprung weight and it probably won't be much difference. But I'm not sure. Also what gearing would you run with 37's? What if I later wanted to upgrade to 40's? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Having bought one before I'd never recommend upgrading to a semi float 60. You don't really gain much. Still will bend flanges. Go pr44 front and stock rear or 60/60... Or 60/80. Went through that whole sequence in my JK lol. JL will only get one set when they get swapped eventually.

Sent via....

Couldn't agree more. Having run a semi-float 60 in the past, I can affirm it's not worth it. Go full float for sure.

Wow. You all are awesome. Great info. Is there a big difference in drivability because of the weight of the 60's?. My guess is that the extra weight is unsprung weight and it probably won't be much difference. But I'm not sure. Also what gearing would you run with 37's? What if I later wanted to upgrade to 40's? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Really, the only rear drivability issue you will have with a 60 is a reduction in turning. If you get something like the Dynatrac XD60 with Pro 1550 knuckles, it'll be a LOT better than anything else out there. As far as gearing goes, the JL with it's 8-speed auto has changed everything and now, instead of just looking for what will get you the most power, you can now think about what will also get you good MPG. If you're really thinking about bumping up to 40's some day, 5.13 would probably be the minimum ratio I'd go with. 5.38's will be a bit much for 37's or at least, in my opinion.

13_gecko_rubi

Scott, are you going to do XD 60 front and rear or 60/80?

I’m trying to decide if 80 rear again for me or if the low pinion XD 60 has closed the gap a bit?

Very torn. I will run what I have til I grenade it this time lol. If I swap the engine in the JL I'll do an 80. Otherwise the lp XD60 rear would likely be my plan. Back when I got the 80 the 60 rears were still hp as the probably were for you also.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very torn. I will run what I have til I grenade it this time lol. If I swap the engine in the JL I'll do an 80. Otherwise the lp XD60 rear would likely be my plan. Back when I got the 80 the 60 rears were still hp as the probably were for you also.

Sent via....

A LP XD60 rear is what I'd be looking at too.

Saddletramp

Sent via....

Yep, just didn’t want the HP 60. Probably go that route for better clearance and especially now that the tube size and R&P have gotten closer to the 80 specs!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Noob question. Why is the lp better than the hp?

A high pinion will position your drive shaft and pinion yoke higher off the ground that will give both greater clearance from rocks but it'll have you running your ring gear on the coast side which is weaker. A low pinion or standard cut will drive on the stronger side of the ring gear teeth.

Jeeeep

A high pinion will position your drive shaft and pinion yoke higher off the ground that will give both greater clearance from rocks but it'll have you running your ring gear on the coast side which is weaker. A low pinion or standard cut will drive on the stronger side of the ring gear teeth.

good info :thumb:

JTCO

Meme King
Noob question. Why is the lp better than the hp?

Sent from my moto x4 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

And this is ideal referring to the rear diff.

On a front diff, the high pinion (reverse cut) is ideal.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And this is ideal referring to the rear diff.

On a front diff, the high pinion (reverse cut) is ideal.

This ^^^^

Thank you for clarifying as much. I was specifically referring to the rear axle being that was the last thing we were talking about.

BillArnett

I don’t understand this. Can you explain it in more detail? Or post a diagram or something?

BillArnett

Thanks! Sounds like a high pinion rear is a really bad idea.

Would it be correct to infer also that when going down bumpy rocky sections that it’s a good idea to avoid shock loads on the drivetrain as much as possible by using the brakes instead as shocks will be taken on the weaker coast side of the gears?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a "really bad idea". I've run a high pinion ProRock 60 rear axle for years and it held up great. The Gladiator that just finished KOH was running a high pinion XD60 too. There are definitely benefits to running one and so long as it's made by a reputable company like Dynatrac, you'll probably be okay but, they won't be as strong as a low pinion rear.

Would it be correct to infer also that when going down bumpy rocky sections that it’s a good idea to avoid shock loads on the drivetrain as much as possible by using the brakes instead as shocks will be taken on the weaker coast side of the gears?

I can't say I've ever given it a thought. Granted, I grew up and spent most of my life wheeling a manual and so using lower gears is something I've always done.

Jdofmemi

I would say it depends on the amount of power you are putting to it.
A high pinion 60 is still going to be stronger than a 44 and hold up to most things people do.

The problem comes from high horsepower and larger than normal tires.

Downhill compression braking is no way going to shock load one enough to be a problem. If it's that weak, it would have broke getting to the top, not on the way down.