Control arms

Firejeep

I understand that the different bushings in control arms will give more or less flex and durability, but what about ride? Knowing ride is subjective, is there a noticeable difference between rubber, poly, Dual Durometer or JJ?

MSUConrad

I don’t think you’ll see a difference in most in daily driving unless if you neglect to service it appropriately (Johnny joints need to be greased for example). I just put on a set of Metalcloak arms that claim to never need service....TBD after 12 months of driving and wheeling

Firejeep

Thanks, that’s kinda what I was thinking. Different companies using scare tactics to by their products. I figured as long as it doesn’t make it feel like you are rolling on rocks for tires, the difference should be minimal.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that the different bushings in control arms will give more or less flex and durability, but what about ride? Knowing ride is subjective, is there a noticeable difference between rubber, poly, Dual Durometer or JJ?

Actually, there is a difference you can feel between different types of bushings but for the most part, it not even worth mentioning being that the JL and the JK before comes with body isolators instead of rubber pucks like the old TJ came with. Trust me, I've tested most joints out there and with the exception of rod ends, you probably won't even know there is a difference.

With that said, I've run Johnny Joints for a very long time and they've proven themselves to be one of the best out there.

WhiteMetal

Actually, there is a difference you can feel between different types of bushings but for the most part, it not even worth mentioning being that the JL and the JK before comes with body isolators instead of rubber pucks like the old TJ came with. Trust me, I've tested most joints out there and with the exception of rod ends, you probably won't even know there is a difference.

With that said, I've run Johnny Joints for a very long time and they've proven themselves to be one of the best out there.
This Johny joints are solid I didn't grease the one on my jk for over 6 months and beat the shit outta them they still road nice and after cleaning up they were just about brand new and if you do wreck one there supper easy to replace or repair them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

WhiteMetal

Can anyone tell me how Rock Krawler rebuildable joints compare to Johnny Joints as far as durability/maintenance requirements/ease of rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
Well I haven't had rock krawler control arms, but I did make the mistake of getting there track bars and tie rod on my jk and I'm tightening the joints on track bars religiously, they always loosen off. So I'm assuming there control arms would be the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone tell me how Rock Krawler rebuildable joints compare to Johnny Joints as far as durability/maintenance requirements/ease of rebuild?

ddays posted this comparison shot of the 2 joints a while back. The size difference of the Johnny Joint alone would be enough for me to want it over the other.

RK-JJ-Joint Comparison.jpg

MrGiant

Seeing this pic, its sad that the JL doesnt have regreasable joints anywhere

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing this pic, its sad that the JL doesnt have regreasable joints anywhere

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

I don't know. I can totally understand why Jeep doesn't. They only need to make the best possible vehicle they can in "stock" form and for that, bonded rubber bushings are the way to go. They'll last a VERY LONG TIME, require zero maintenance and will stay quite.

AllJumpStyle

Synergy Representative
Supporter
A lot of the newer joints on the market are non-greasable, including ours. We have a video on our Dual Durometer Bushings that describes how they are made and how they work. We are often compared to Metal Cloak, but unlike Metal Cloak joints which are assembled with a lubricant between the bushing and shell (they only say it needs no maintenance), our friction surface is between our inner teflon liner and inner sleeve. They are not assembled with grease and never need to be greased. While Johnny Joints have been the go to joints for years, they do require greasing and rebuilds, and on applications with large tires (40" plus) and lots of articulation, we have found they need to be rebuilt often. And this is speaking from experience, as all of our products used to come with Johnny Joints before we came out with our Dual Durometer Bushings.

aust249

A lot of the newer joints on the market are non-greasable, including ours. We have a video on our Dual Durometer Bushings that describes how they are made and how they work. We are often compared to Metal Cloak, but unlike Metal Cloak joints which are assembled with a lubricant between the bushing and shell (they only say it needs no maintenance), our friction surface is between our inner teflon liner and inner sleeve. They are not assembled with grease and never need to be greased. While Johnny Joints have been the go to joints for years, they do require greasing and rebuilds, and on applications with large tires (40" plus) and lots of articulation, we have found they need to be rebuilt often. And this is speaking from experience, as all of our products used to come with Johnny Joints before we came out with our Dual Durometer Bushings.

Spot on! Many fond memories of rebuilding Johnny Joints on my old jeeps. Will definitely be checking out these arms for the current build.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app